NFL Off-season thread

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
In case you haven't got it yet, the NFL is kinda big deal. That said, I still have Florida State to root for if theyre isnt pro football.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I'm not jealous of these guys. I'm more than happy with who I am and what my role in this world is and what my destiny is. I'd like a $10 million a year salary for throwing around a football, that's for sure. But I don't worship money and I'm not a slave to it. What athletes put in is time and effort in their BODIES. They push their BODIES to the limit. Half these guys can't even speak proper English or make sense about much as it is or have success in any area of their life outside an arena. Throwing your body at a person or being able to catch a ball doesn't equate to much in any job in the private sector or anywhere outside a sports arena. Let's be a realist shall we? You talking about these guys as if they are doing something so far out of this world, so utterly amazing as running real fast and hitting someone real hard and throwing people on the ground is just rediculous. I think we'll just have to agree to disgaree on this. Because I don't esteem entertainers as much as you do. And that's all these guys are to me. Entertainers who have no success in any other area of life except in the arena and their wallet, however short lived that is.
i feel as if you're missing the point. you're belittling the fact that the effort they put is towards their body. ok, you're right, thats the point. thats physically demanding, and they have to do it, or else they don't make that million dollars. please explain to me the physical demand and commitment needed for someone working in a cubicle 8 hours a day as compared to what they have to do. you think an NFL player can say "gee, idon't feel like working today, i'm going to use a sick day". please explain to me what a person working in a cubical as a paper pusher has as far as success outside of the cubical?

you're trying to make it sound as if they just spend just an hour in the gym, and an hour at practice and just show up on Sunday. doesn't quite work like that. like i said, i don't put them on a pedestal, i just appreciate the work they put in.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
ProFootballWeekly.com - Report: Two sides agree on rookie wage scale

You see they are going to work this out. These guys aren't that stupid that they will forsake all this money. They'll get this done. They're so overdramaticc with this in the press, as if planet earth's existence is hanging on this CBA deal.

well unfortunetly, the rookie wage scale was the only thing the two sides agreed upon as far as needing a change. last reports still have them around $750 million apart per year, equating to aroung $5 billion over the life of the CBA. so we'll see.

well unfortunetly, the rookie wage scale was the only thing the two sides agreed upon as far as needing a change. last reports still have them around $750 million apart per year, equating to aroung $5 billion over the life of the CBA. so we'll see.

Yea well its a start. Its better than them not agreeing on anything. The law of progression will apply here too.

BlownAway05

Established Member
I don't think comparing replacement players today to that of '87 is really a fair comparison. Talent pool is much bigger now (as it is much more lucrative to try and be a professional player now than it was 25 years ago) and the most players physical training are much better.

Probably some college teams of today could compete in the NFL back in '87.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
ESPN reports that Smith has told the players that the union is now planning to decertify.

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
according to Adam Shefter the NFLPA has filed for decertification.

Coiled03

Established Member
Congratulations to the NFLPA! You just destroyed the only jobs your stupid ass members are capable of holding! Way to look out for them!

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I don't know the ins and outs of the lockout...all I know is I should be swimming in free agency news eagerly awaiting draft day and instead all I am reading is lockout crap. Thanks for screwing with my off-season.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
The draft will still happen as scheduled. There will be more emphasis on players in the drat now that the lockout has occured

Planter

Banned
here's where your lack of knowledge in the situation is leaving you short:

THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL BUSINESS ENTITY.

in a typical business, the employees can at anytime be replaced by someone else and business goes on. in the NFL, if there are no players, there are no owners. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

do you know how the NFL makes money? RATINGS. PEOPLE WATCHING THE GAME. you cannot just throw all of these "1000 other college students who were football players that never got drafted". WHY? because they aren't good enough. people won't watch them. want proof? do yourself a favor and look up what happened in '87.

sure, your dumbass would go out and kick fieldgoals (you couldn't, but lets leave that argument out. keeping this simple is easier for you) but guess what? noone is going to pay to see your dumbass kick a football into your center's ass.

now run along now, do some :read: and become educated in the matter

actually I could kick field goals, i can still boot a 55 yarder, and nail it right down the pipe.

even with replacement players, I'll still go watch the games, as will many others who can't afford to go pay regular season prices for the real athletes.

i wouldn't say "plotted" is the right word, maybe "prepared for worst case scenario" is more appropriate.

the union had no desire to strike a deal, they wanted to decertify and send it to litigation all along. they were made a more than fair deal, they threw it in the trash. i feel no sympathy for them or the players.

Owners = BOSS
Players = Employee

you do what the boss says, and if you don't like it, you go find another job. always someone else willing to step up in your place and take your job.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
i wouldn't say "plotted" is the right word, maybe "prepared for worst case scenario" is more appropriate.

they did plot to lock out the players.,., they made a deal with tv to take less so they could ensure money still would be payed for when they were going to lock the players out

you do what the boss says, and if you don't like it, you go find another job. always someone else willing to step up in your place and take your job.

or since the players are the only people qualified to be employees., they can tell the boss to go **** themselves :thumbsup:

this.,., how can you not see this :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread