NFL Off-season thread

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
well, normally people would quit and look for another job.
well its not like there's a competing company that they could seek employment with.
I'm well aware that the players agreed to the tag, but I would prefer it be done away with. I'm a bit sick and tired of seeing teams being able to hold onto players who want out, for another year or two. Its bad for the sport and for teams that are looking to improve their team in free agency. The draft has become such a crapshoot for so many teams that only FA allows the opportunity to upgrade with less of a miss factor.

yea i hear ya. it was alot better back when the salary cap was avtually relevent and teams had to make decisions on whether or not to pay people. it was great when even longer tenured "stars" could be cut for salary cap reasons

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
It's easy for us to say they make too much money.,., but for the owners not willing to budge on any point makes them out to be the bigger douche nozzles :shrug:

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
It's easy for us to say they make too much money.,., but for the owners not willing to budge on any point makes them out to be the bigger douche nozzles :shrug:

this.

want more proof that the owners aren't interested in a deal? take this whole tv contract situation. the tv deals are negotiated by the owners, more specifically guys like Kraft, on behalf of the players.because this revenue is also split. the owners sold the rights at a lower amount as a consolation to the networks continuing to pay the owners in the event of a lockout. in other words, the owners cost the players on the front end of the deal (less revenue from a cheaper deal) so that they could still get paid when they would evenually lock the players out.

not to mention, they are meeting right now in a meeting that is not scheduled to last past noon. right now, every representative from the players union is there. however, the head reps for the owners, J.J. and Kraft are not. they would need to be there to get any kind of deal done. does it sound like they care? :nonono:

here's more for you misguided owner-siding people:

nfllockout.com said:
This lockout is about the owners taking more than just the game away from fans.

» Taking away football is not only devastating to the loyal and supportive fans of the NFL; it’s also devastating to their local economies.
» If there is a lockout, an estimated $160 million would be lost in each NFL city.
» It is estimated that over 115,000 jobs would be effected.

This lockout is about inequitable leverage.
» If there is not a football season in 2011, the owners’ costs will drastically decrease.
» The owners have negotiated TV deals that guarantee them revenues even if games are not played in the 2011 season.
» The guaranteed television revenues that approach $4.5 billion, coupled with the elimination of $4.4 billion in player salaries and benefits during a lockout, could make a 2011 season without games profitable for the owners.
» They are willing to sacrifice the sport of football in this country in order to have less cost, less work, and more revenue for themselves.This lockout is about owners wanting more from players without justified reasons or restitution.
» The owners have not been willing to give proof that they have taken a financial loss, therefore needing more money back from players.
» NFL owners are adamant in their desire to reduce the share of league revenue set aside for player salaries by roughly 18 percent ($1 billion) beginning next year.
» NFL owners want to increase the amount of games, therefore increasing each player’s risk of injury, but decreasing salaries.

This lockout is about healthcare
» Recently, the NFL said it would not continue active player healthcare in a lockout.
» The average NFL career is only 3.6 years. It takes 3 accredited years to get just 5 years of post career healthcare.
» The addition of 2 more games would hinder a player’s ability to get post career healthcare.

This lockout is about history
» Everything the players have today is a result of a past fight for basic rights.
» You would have to turn back the clock to the early 1980’s, in the days before free agency, to find a season in which the players’ share of football revenue was as low as that being proposed by the NFL owners.
» Some of the things players have fought for include: clean socks and jocks, free agency, former player benefits etc.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
SI reports that if the union decertifies and they move to a lockout, the union says the lead plaintiffs in the upcoming lawsuit would be Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. good move on their part.

edit: ...and add Logan Mankins to that list :dw:

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
^ yea, just delaying the inevitable

Yes and I believe the lockout deal on the table now will be the best deal the players are going to get. If they get locked out, any new proposal from the owners will not be as nice.

They will work something out. Now is not the time to run this train off the tracks. With the way some of these players mismanage their money, they will concede and sign a new deal.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
are you serious? don't these fools get a FREE education at major colleges and should put that degree to use if they don't like what's going on.

Of course. Another logical statement. These kids are groomed from the time that they are 9 years old to play sports. So yes, it's extremely easy for them to just say "yup, the hell with it, I'd rather be a paper pusher with my business degree makin 50k a year instead of a couple hundred grand"

I'll say it again, if you take the side of the owners, then please refrain from talking about the impending lockout, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
They will work something out. Now is not the time to run this train off the tracks. With the way some of these players mismanage their money, they will concede and sign a new deal.

No they won't. The owners will push their side until the players can no longer financially afford it like they always do. There's really no reason for the owners to give in. The owners don't care about us as fans losing out on football because they are capable of taking the financial hit

No they won't. The owners will push their side until the players can no longer financially afford it like they always do. There's really no reason for the owners to give in. The owners don't care about us as fans losing out on football because they are capable of taking the financial hit

I boldly predict they get a deal done. The owners are money worshippers just like the players and agents. I think a lot of folks tend to forget that this isn't owners vs. players, its owners vs. agents/players. The agents try to play this angle as if they have nothing to do with this whole situation, but I can asure you they will help the players see things the way the owners see it. Its always a win-win for the agents. They have a tremendous amount of influence over the player's union. If there was going to be a lockout, this one week extension wouldn't have been worked out. It wouldn't shock me at all if another extension gets passed.

Of course. Another logical statement. These kids are groomed from the time that they are 9 years old to play sports. So yes, it's extremely easy for them to just say "yup, the hell with it, I'd rather be a paper pusher with my business degree makin 50k a year instead of a couple hundred grand"

I'll say it again, if you take the side of the owners, then please refrain from talking about the impending lockout, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Dude give me a break its not that serious. Its just football man. These are grown men playing a little kid's game on a day people tend to chill.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Dude give me a break its not that serious. Its just football man. These are grown men playing a little kid's game on a day people tend to chill.

Actually no, it's not. It's a nearly $10 billion industry and one of the most profitable businesses in the world. It's not just a "kids game". It's something i happen to enjoy watching and put a good amount of my time and money towards, so excuse me for getting a little irritated that it's about to be put on hold because 32 billionaires want an extra billion. And yes, it does bother me that most people are quick to accuse the players without knowing what's going on

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Actually no, it's not. It's a nearly $10 billion industry and one of the most profitable businesses in the world. It's not just a "kids game". It's something i happen to enjoy watching and put a good amount of my time and money towards, so excuse me for getting a little irritated that it's about to be put on hold because 32 billionaires want an extra billion. And yes, it does bother me that most people are quick to accuse the players without knowing what's going on

:rockon: Agree with everything you've said in this thread.

It is a "kid's game" that adults play. Its entertainment. To believe that its anything more than that is to not live in reality. I watch plenty of football just like you, but I certainly don't make it out to be more than it is. You and i don't get a pay check after the game. You and i don't receive any proceeds from the franchise. You putting a lot of money and time into watching football doesn't change that its just a game. If you're that emotionally invested into "watching football" you may want to get a life.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
:rockon: Agree with everything you've said in this thread.
:rockon:
It is a "kid's game" that adults play. Its entertainment. To believe that its anything more than that is to not live in reality. I watch plenty of football just like you, but I certainly don't make it out to be more than it is. You and i don't get a pay check after the game. You and i don't receive any proceeds from the franchise. You putting a lot of money and time into watching football doesn't change that its just a game. If you're that emotionally invested into "watching football" you may want to get a life.

of course we don't gain anything other than entertainment. That's the point. I love watching football as I'm sure you do as well. Bur as fans we buy the tickets, we buy the jerseys or shirts, and we sit most Sundays to root for our teams. You spent most of the year in threads just like these defending your Bears, don't sit there and try to give me that "holier than thou it I don't care because it's just a game" attitude. I'm not obsessed and I don't treat it for more than it is. But these owners have clearly shown that they don't care about their customers and they take them for granted. And it pisses me off when people just assume it's the players without knowing the facts. Sure it's a game, but to the players it's their careers and their livelihoods. And they put more effort and time into it then most of us put into ours.

Last edited:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Trust me I want to see more football and less preseason games. I'm ready for an 18 game season. :rockon:

-1, I dont need more heart-ache lol.. dolphins :nonono:

Either way enjoy the game now before they start really changing things up. Football is incredibly dangerous and is having long-term physical and mental repercussions which we are going to see more and more these days (especially that these guys are getting bigger and bigger).

A recent suicide by an ex-Bear is leading to more research on the after effects. He shot himself in the heart because he didn't want to harm his brain so he can donate it for this sole reason. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/3958476-419/hayes-duersons-suicide-rattles-ex-bear-plank.html

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Any updates heard from yesterdays talks about a new CBA?? :shrug:

no. other than the fact that one of the owners' lead reps, Kraft, is currently on a trade mission to Isreal snd will return if "something gets done" :bash:

obviously he's concerned about avoiding a lockout :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread