Nissan Titan opinion

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
It's not a Titan, but we have an 04 Armada, I have never had a complaint with anything mechanical on it, it just rolled over 100k. My only complaint is it has a ton of interior squeaks and rattles.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Sounds like you haven't driven a '11+ F-150 with either a 5.0, 6.2, or ecoboost.

My sis just bought a '12 supercrew 5.0 and it only has 3.31 gears, that ****er moves! I could just imagine with the optional 3.73 gears.

At the time I test drove an 2005 F150 with the 5.4 and the Titan...I ended up with a 2003 F250 6.0 instead......but at the time the Titan was a lot more fun to drive.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Titans do not hold up long term if you really plan to use it, we have one local the guy bought new, uses it for work/family, the truck is an absolute rat, i hate everything about it besides the sound they make, buy a F-150 or silverado, nicer ride and overall truck

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Dammit. If you're going to buy a truck, at least buy american. This is what we do, and we do it better than anyone. My f150 170k+. Stock engine and trans, doesn't burn or drop oil, still shifts great. Only thing it has ever done is blow out one plug and I have put it through the ringer. Seriously this truck has seen hell and very little tlc in between but it just keeps on going.

AAG

Established Member
At the time I test drove an 2005 F150 with the 5.4 and the Titan...I ended up with a 2003 F250 6.0 instead......but at the time the Titan was a lot more fun to drive.

No doubt the titan was better than the f150 back then. It was lighter, more powerful, and had a 5-speed auto.

Compare the newest versions and the f150 kills it. The Titan needs a major upgrade/redesign.

Jroc

Established Member
No doubt the titan was better than the f150 back then. It was lighter, more powerful, and had a 5-speed auto.

Compare the newest versions and the f150 kills it. The Titan needs a major upgrade/redesign.

I think you are confusing what CobraCarrera is say which is about the same as me.

Titan was never better than F150. Not in 04, not in 09, not in 12. More weight = better for towing/hauling,(notice how these newer trucks with their bigger tow/payload ratings aren't really worried about their big weight increases or trying to loose weight) the old 4 speed did it's job fine, as did the old 5.4. The Titan is however a funner truck to drive. A lot of it isn't just the power the trucks are making, but the refineness of the vehicles and the noise they make, etc. The Titan is more like a Foxbody, or Terminator or Wrangler, where a F150 is more like a new AMG, or Grand Cherokee(not really but what I'm trying to say is a Titan is more rough around it's edges, and a F150 is more upscaled, and quiet, and comfortable. It blocks out much more of the road than the Titan) I've driven the 5.7 Tundra's, and their motors are strong, but I think a Titan is still a funner, and more Muscle car feeling kind of truck than them also. I think Titan would make a great truck to turn into a off-road play tow.

I haven't driven a newer 2011+ F150, but quite a few 5.4 F150's, and people like to act like the 5.4 was some poor truck motor, and I think it was just the opposite. Sure the 5.4 F150's aren't all that fast, but what they do better than just about all of the competitors was they make their best power low in their rpm range which was the intend when Ford designed it. Making 80% of your torque at 2,000 rpm's is a good thing when towing or hauling big loads. You don't have to work the motor all that hard to get it to do what you are wanting.

GBNFG 03 DSG

Established Member
I am with you. The problem is for the money, the Titan is about where a base model 4.6 is at. I am limited to 26K and there is nothing around here Ford wise for the price. Example. 4.6 4 door cloth interior ford 26K miles is about 25K. Titan 5.6 cloth 4door 11K miles 24K. I would love an ecoboost or 6.2 but they are way out of my price range. Maybe I will just wait and see if something else comes up. Thanks for the replys and thoughts.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Summed it up.
The titans main target when it came out was the Dodge Ram of that time. Now in almost 2013 its still trying to compete with a 2004 Ram :shrug:

I work at Nissan and they are really not bad trucks at all. They are just not up to date with any other truck on the market. Price is stupid too for one new. We just got one in 2 days ago that is a base model 4x4- 38k lol

Isn't the latest rumor that Nissan has actually subcontracted out Ram to build their newer trucks? It's still a Nissan design, but is supposed to be put together at the Ram factories and use the Ram frame.

And I agree on the price! My friend works at a dealership and is a diehard Nissan fan, but I think he's nuts. It's more for a crew cab/4x4 Titan than it was for my Ram 2500 crew cab/4x4 DIESEL! Sorry, but for the money a 3/4 ton diesel is going to spank that Titan in every way, shape and form.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Depends on who you're asking for an opinions. Titan owners think that their trucks can outpull 3/4 ton diesels and get 13 MPG while doing it. American truck owners think the Titan can't even compare, and that the Ranger is more truck than the Titan.

To me, the Titan was a good truck. Sounded cool, moved out with a purpose. Could come with good mirrors for towing. The axles seemed to be a weak area, especially in the early 04/05 years. Interior wasn't Ford good, but I would say better than a Chevy, and way ahead of Dodge (current Dodge owner here). Good aftermarket support for any direction you want to take the truck. Seemed that honest reports on MPG were terrible, far behind Ford and Chevy.

Basically, it was a solid half-ton pickup, nothing more, nothing less.

Biggest problem is the lack of updates. Nissan had a chance to become a real player in the big truck market, but just let it slip away.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Isn't the latest rumor that Nissan has actually subcontracted out Ram to build their newer trucks? It's still a Nissan design, but is supposed to be put together at the Ram factories and use the Ram frame.

And I agree on the price! My friend works at a dealership and is a diehard Nissan fan, but I think he's nuts. It's more for a crew cab/4x4 Titan than it was for my Ram 2500 crew cab/4x4 DIESEL! Sorry, but for the money a 3/4 ton diesel is going to spank that Titan in every way, shape and form.

The deal fell through, a new titan (in house developed) will hit the market in 2014 and rumors has it will offer a diesel in the lineup

Sent with my Massive Johnson

SVT4ME

Established Member
Have had my 04 Titan since new and it's my daily driver. Occasionally I tow some quads, trash to the dump or help out a buddy with hauling trash and it has been spot on. Am at 91,000 miles and haven't had a single problem. Replaced my front brake rotors last pad change and she's as good as when I got her. Mileage runs around 17 mpg with mostly highway driving.

GBNFG 03 DSG

Established Member
Found one I think I am going to get. The guy is a friend and he is going to give me a killer deal. 2011 fully loaded 17K miles. 21K out the door. Thanks for the replys

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The deal fell through, a new titan (in house developed) will hit the market in 2014 and rumors has it will offer a diesel in the lineup

Sent with my Massive Johnson

Is that a for sure thing? I never know what rumors to believe with Nissan.

Is it a certain "C" manufacturer diesel? I know they got US grant money to put a diesel in the Titan as far back as 06 and did so successfully, but nothing ever became of it.

There's even some rumors of a diesel-sounding test mule Titan out on the road, but them testing one doesn't mean it will hit the market. They tested the older ones too, and nothing became of that.

Truth be told I know everyone loves the idea of a 1/2 ton diesel, but it's going to be a hard sell. The guys that actually want/need a diesel are going to go with the big boy diesels, which I'm sure will be significantly cheaper. It's a no brainer for me. 1/2 ton diesel Nissan, or a 3/4 diesel Dodge with a bigger engine, more power, and less cost? And your average 1/2 ton driver isn't going to fork over the extra money for a diesel option that will cost more for the engine and fuel.

stangman4610

Established Member
I have an '04 and have driven it for the past 5 years. Bought it with roughly 25K miles on it and it currently has 140K and still going VERY strong.

The only problem other than routine maintenance; was a rear axle seal on passenger slide. It had a sloowwww leak and I decided to replace it before it got worse.

But I'd say for only a couple hundred bucks to replace that in five years of ownership is a pretty damn economical truck to own!

Other than that, it's been very dependable, low cost of ownership, fun (surprisingly quick), plenty of power, comfortable, quiet, and imo great looking to boot!

When the time comes, I am definitely looking into replacing it with another one.

All that being said, I don't drive crazy and I keep up with regular maintenance religiously. It always comes down to mainenance, either would be a good truck to own and I'm not taking anything anything away from the Ford; I'm sure they are fine trucks as well, but speaking from personal experience, you'd have to go a long way to beat the Titan.

BTW...I average 16-17 mpg combined highway/city and have since I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread