No drone cat back

Harry08

Established Member
Looking at Magnaflow 16674 or Dynomax 39460. I am trying to stay away from the dreaded drone. Does anyone know if either of these 3 inch cat backs have any drone? Thank you in advance.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Def stay away from stainless works if you want drone free...not only does it drone .. it makes some really wierd sounds at low rpms...wot sounds amazing though. I just switched to a custom Kooks true 3" cat back with over packed mufflers...should be delivered next week. I had the SW system and had enough with the drone.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Def stay away from stainless works if you want drone free...not only does it drone .. it makes some really wierd sounds at low rpms...wot sounds amazing though. I just switched to a custom Kooks true 3" cat back with over packed mufflers...should be delivered next week. I had the SW system and had enough with the drone.

Hey buddy, I know our SW systems are similar but do you have the rear resonators in front of the tip?
I just have the large 'retro' mufflers under the car and ordered the rear resonators to calm it down cruising.
WOT is amazing but it's too loud for me w/o resonators.
-J

DutyCalls

Established Member

Did you have a off road mid pipe?? I have a 3" catted X and i dont think the drone is too bad, but definitely more than Stainless works leads you to believe

Harry08

Established Member
The part numbers I listed are for 3 inch cat backs. I had SW long tubes, cat's and their chambered mufflers and had no drone. I went with a KB 2.8 and want to be smog legal so that's why I'm looking for a 3 inch cat back with no drone. Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The part numbers I listed are for 3 inch cat backs. I had SW long tubes, cat's and their chambered mufflers and had no drone. I went with a KB 2.8 and want to be smog legal so that's why I'm looking for a 3 inch cat back with no drone. Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it.
If you had success with previous SW, why not just order the same but in 3"?
SW built the '13-14 system on my car and I've toured their facility twice, its 100% USA and all in house, I was impressed.
They can build many styles of muffler or the system any way you want.
Good luck.
-J

Harry08

Established Member
I ended up ordering the Dynomax 3inch over axel pipes 55422 & 55423 and will mate them up with my S/W mufflers. Advanced Auto Parts has them for $67.99 each. I thought about going with the S/W pipes but prefer a 1 piece design compared to the S/W 2 piece design. Thanks for all the info.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

Mine came with a Kooks catback and it drones from 65 to 90 mph lol

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Hey buddy, I know our SW systems are similar but do you have the rear resonators in front of the tip?
I just have the large 'retro' mufflers under the car and ordered the rear resonators to calm it down cruising.
WOT is amazing but it's too loud for me w/o resonators.
-J

Yea I have dual resonators on my SW setup..there was no muffler in my system at all.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea I have dual resonators on my SW setup..there was no muffler in my system at all.

Ahh, that makes sense.
Check the vid:
http://stainlessworks.net/ford-gt500
I have the large mufflers under the car and I'm adding the resonators before the tips.
I would imagine drone if you only had straight pipes from the mid-pipe to the resonator/tips behind the axles.
I'm hoping the mufflers under the car like in the vid plus the resonators in front of the tips gets me where I want it.
Hope things are well buddy.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread