Northwoods Shelby Club @ Road America on August 15-17, 2008

ekimv

Established Member
Just some logic from a small business owner

I agree that it would be good for both companies........they need help otherwise they both could be history. It is good to see that they are finally looking to get their heads out of their a$$ and recognizing the problem and possibly doing something about it.

I dont know how many people work for unions here, and here me out before you cuss my existance!

Toyota has an average labor figure per man hour of $38.00. Until Ford and GM and the rest of America get this, how can we compete?>! Its not possible! All the other auto companies pay near or below that number!

I dont have the answer...... For me its simple, I have to compete against these guys (rices companies) in my own business. I had to find ways to better compete, I invented my own line of products and patent them for international protection. This bought me about 2 years to get market share. In the mean time, I am inventing new items that will be even more advanced to stay ahead of them.

Its working for me, but like I said, I dont have all the answers. WISH I DID!:beer:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Is your car not ready or are you not coming?

Fred fair enough! You were the better driver in terms of extrapolating time vs. equipment.

I'm with you. My tranny went out in my SCCA T1 car and I haven't raced in over 6 weeks. My fastest laps are always when I'm chasing a rabbit.

I am attempting my third 3 day weekend event in a 30 day span. Presently the car is not ready and I am not sure if I will even try to have it fixed in time.

About "extrapolating time vs. equipment", remember RA is my home course and that was your first trip there. If we were at ACC, the reverse would be true!!!

Mike, we should really talk about doing a race event together next year. The guys in this forum (except Dean and maybe Doc) dislike NASA, but racing wise it's OK. I see you do SCCA..... would you be willing to do a NASA race with us next year? The gang coming to SNW is great, but I also have several very close friends in NASA. We get along well, help each other out and mostly have lots of good, clean fun. Perhaps I can twist your arm to join us at ACC or RA next year???
:poke::beer:

Clutchdumper

Established Member
About "extrapolating time vs. equipment", remember RA is my home course and that was your first trip there. If we were at ACC, the reverse would be true!!!

Fred you're a gentleman!

Mike, we should really talk about doing a race event together next year. The guys in this forum (except Dean and maybe Doc) dislike NASA, but racing wise it's OK. I see you do SCCA..... would you be willing to do a NASA race with us next year? The gang coming to SNW is great, but I also have several very close friends in NASA. We get along well, help each other out and mostly have lots of good, clean fun. Perhaps I can twist your arm to join us at ACC or RA next year???
:poke::beer:

Fred,

I was going to run the National event at Autobahn in two weeks but guess what? I didn't look far enough ahead to realize I had already committed to NWS. You guys run a fun event so there is no way I was cancelling.

Although I'm running SCCA, I have considered NASA because of the leniency on the rules. I can't stand running stock brakes on a Corvette. I will be the first to admit it's the Achilles heel in terms of racing. Many of my friends enjoy NASA more as it sounds you do too.

Let's talk further.

PM sent.

Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NASA treats it's race group people like racers should be treated. I can't speak for the HPDE1 and HPDE2 groups, but the most recent NASA HPDE4 event I did last year was the worst track event I've ever done, by far. :(

Now I had previously run two prior NASA HPDE4 events with Lawrence, one at M-O and one at Road America and BOTH were fantastic experiences. :rockon:

The current system is so flawed and overbooked, I'm not sure it could ever be fixed.

My .02 cents on NASA.

Clutchdumper

Established Member
NASA treats it's race group people like racers should be treated. I can't speak for the HPDE1 and HPDE2 groups, but the most recent NASA HPDE4 event I did last year was the worst track event I've ever done, by far. :(

Now I had previously run two prior NASA HPDE4 events with Lawrence, one at M-O and one at Road America and BOTH were fantastic experiences. :rockon:

The current system is so flawed and overbooked, I'm not sure it could ever be fixed.

My .02 cents on NASA.

Bruce,

I hear you on the overbooking. Because NASA allows HP/Weight, it allows more people to bring a car and run in a designated group instead of throwing everybody in an SPO like SCCA. It's crazy when a T2 BMW (basically bone stock) ends up running in the same run group as a Trans-Am car.

SCCA, who has been losing market share of racers, just recently allowed NASA licensed drivers to compete, but finding a proper category that conforms to SCCA class rules is a whole different story.

As Fred suggests, it would be fun to run with the guys, but for me or any other SCCA legal car from T1-T3, I would get my butt smoked showing up with stock brakes and virtually no suspension upgrade.

I'm all for keeping things on par between cars so it's a drivers race but not allowing safety upgrades is one I disagree on.

Mike

Clutchdumper

Established Member
On an unrelated note, it looks like I'll be down at ABCC October 17th. Hope to possibly be shaking down some new iron!?!?:shrug:

Bruce,

I just checked the ABCC calendar and that weekend, (October 17th is a Friday) Friday-Sunday is a 3 day Full-Track member weekend. Are you coming out as someones guest?

Nobody told me you had friends!!!!! :lol:

ekimv

Established Member

My .02 cents on NASA.

I had emergency surgery yesterday on a nerve in my low back that was causing my right leg to go numb. When I was filling out my med form last night, the thought crossed my mind that I may not be able to run the NWS event.

Ill know more Friday after my follow up appointment.:burn::(

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
i have a friday appointment also... to go with my wife for the delivery of our 3rd boy!!!:)... 1 stang, 4 seats. - me and 3 boys - coincidence?

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Speaking of NASA - guess who showed up? "THE GROTH DUDE"! Came out of retirement to win both races. It was really cool to see him again. BTW, the Panoz finished the 3 hour enduro - and ran ALL the Sat/Sun races as well! Kudos to Ted for doing an unbelieveable job. Now if I could only convince him to let me bring the car to the SNW event....:whine:

The Gorth dude was by far the fastest AI driver there and that was with 1.5 year old Toyos too. :thumbsup::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Fred failed to mention that Ted and himself won their class in the enduro too. Even though they had an long 4 tire stop to put on the rain tires, a slight transmission problem and an really long fueling stop, they won by 3 laps. Both did a great job.:coolman::dancenana:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,

I just checked the ABCC calendar and that weekend, (October 17th is a Friday) Friday-Sunday is a 3 day Full-Track member weekend. Are you coming out as someones guest?

Nobody told me you had friends!!!!! :lol:

Mike:

Actually I have been invited by four members to ABCC. (you included) I'm taking a member up on his generous offer on the 17th for member's full course weekend.

The members there always have great cars that I enjoy looking at and being on the track with. They run the gamut from Miatas to Enzos! :rockon::bowdown:

I will take you up on your most generous invitation offer but knowing what you drive, I need to bring something a tad quicker than my current track cars! :idea: If you know what I mean!? ;-):poke: Don't think I'm not working on it!! :-D

Clutchdumper

Established Member
I will take you up on your most generous invitation offer but knowing what you drive, I need to bring something a tad quicker than my current track cars! :idea: If you know what I mean!? ;-):poke: Don't think I'm not working on it!! :-D

Bruce,

Like you say Miata's to Enzo's, we have fun regardless. We even run SAT style races so all cars are competitive.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment Dean. You forgot to mention why the refueling stop was soooo long!:shrug:

Mike, I'm not sure I follow the brake thing. Are you saying NASA won't allow you to run bigger brakes or better pad compounds?

FWIW, NASA TT was changed this year and now runs as a seprate group. My boss and his SO came and ran in HPDE. They loved it. I didn't hear any complaints about the other groups.

Clutchdumper

Established Member
Mike, I'm not sure I follow the brake thing. Are you saying NASA won't allow you to run bigger brakes or better pad compounds?

No, NASA will. :thumbsup:

SCCA requires stock brake calipers in T1. :cuss:

I think it makes it hard to set a car up for both organizations unless you want to run in catch-all classes.

Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fred:

Here is the report I heard about the HPDE/TT groups:

this year they Moved, the HPDE 4 cars, into Group 3, and it was Just us TT cars that ran together.

it was Awesome, i had Many clear laps, where i never saw another car, much less being held up by another car.
so
the three runs groups,

HPDE 1&2 about 40 cars
HPDE 3&4 about 40 cars
TT about 30 cars

So, from what I gather, the TT group is now down over 30 cars from last year's event. This makes things MUCH easier on the driver's of cars that vary in lap times from 2:30 to 3:30 in TT.

If they would have combined HPDE3 and HPDE4 groups last year they would have had well over 100 cars in one run group! :eek: I've been to events where there weren't 100 cars total, not to mention in one run group.

Either they limited the amount of entrants or there were that many ticked off people that didn't return this year. One of the two!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

PETSNKE

Established Member
I'm taking a member up on his generous offer on the 17th for member's full course weekend.

I hope to be there on Oct.17th also Bruce.

I was at ABCC for "Festival of Speed" Saturday and there wasn't even enough attendance to form run groups. We never showed up at the track till 10am and still got over 2 hours of track time before the chase races started at 4:00

It appears alot of members prefer trading paint in a Miata rather than a Enzo when it comes to racing:nonono:

Pur Juic

track ho
Established Member
A couple teaser videos from last year's event to hold you over till next week.:banana::beer: You'll know all the main players. (My first attempt to post videos):read:

The first video was on Friday morning, the first session of the day.

The second video was on Friday, the second session of the day.

Hope you all enjoy.............

Linky:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/purjuic/?action=view&current=RA-2007-1.flv

and

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/purjuic/?action=view&current=RA-2007-2.flv

Dar

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
A couple teaser videos from last year's event to hold you over till next week.:banana::beer: You'll know all the main players. (My first attempt to post videos):read:

The first video was on Friday morning, the first session of the day.

The second video was on Friday, the second session of the day.

Hope you all enjoy.............

Dar

Dar:
Great job on the vintage videos... seems like just yesterday, but yet years ago :beer: That Taurus spin was a little on the close side :uh oh:

I'm sure this year will be dry and the track will be hot and of course the :beer: will be cold!

I know you have more video... keep it coming :D

Users who are viewing this thread