Oil Change HORROR!!!

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
whats that supposed to mean?

whats your problem with castrol?
:beer: To bad the search funtion is down. One of the members on this board a petroluem eng. did a major study on many of the major brands of oil. Castroil was a middle of the pack oil ,Mobil1, Red line .Royal purple,Amisol and a few others including Motorcraft ranked higher then castroil in many areas. I thought i has saved the report but can,t find it, maybe someone else on this board has it.

whtsnake03

Established Member
What were you thinking? My dad took his RV there for new batteries (the RV used 2) and they connected them backwards! Fried the whole electrical system and it was never the same.

How stupid is that?

RossSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by o3SnakeBite
I would never let anyone touch my car, I hate bringing it to the dam dealer for any warranty work!!

I hear ya! :nonono: Especially MY Ford Service Department! :bash:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The reason they overfilled it is because the old milk containers that they are using to put used oil back into your car don't have graduations on the side. They just kinda' eye-ball it.

"Whaddya' think Buford...that enough?"
"Ehhh...give it another chug or two."
:shrug:

Your prescription at the WalMart Pharmacy...$20.
A hot dog and Coke from the WalMart Cafeteria...$4.50.
Freaking out in the parking lot after some monkey overfills your brand new Mystichrome Cobra with oil...priceless.
:lol:

Just kidding. Make sure and check your dipstick (and everything else under there) after letting some of these bozos work on your car.
S.

Last edited:

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Nightmare03
I took my car to the dealer for warranty work. Decided to get an oil change while it was there and they told me they put in 6.5 quarts.
That's what happened, when I asked about it the SVT Tech told me that anywhere between 6 and 6.5 was good, and he preferred 6.5 because he felt it "kept the motor from starving for oil at high speeds and high rpm".

B.S. or not I don't know, but if anything goes wrong the dealer gets the blame.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
Seriously man, don't do that to your car. Just thinking about your mystichrome at walmart for an oil change made me cringe.

Our cars take 6 quarts. Thats it. 6 quarts will put the oil level right in the middle of the "min. . . max" you don't want to overfill and you don't want to under-fill, so put in 6. Thats all you need, trust me.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i find it fascinating that people take the word of a customer service rep over the phone as gospel. i'd trust my own eyes and my own dipstick long before i'd trust some flunky working a phone bank, reading from a script. who probably doesnt work on cars ANYWAY.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
i find it fascinating that people take the word of a customer service rep over the phone as gospel. i'd trust my own eyes and my own dipstick long before i'd trust some flunky working a phone bank, reading from a script. who probably doesnt work on cars ANYWAY.
my sentiments exactly! I called SVT once and talked to their "techie" who sounded like he was miserable working there in the first place and who's enthusiasm for the subject was M.I.A. If they were in the know about these cars they would most likely be building them or selling them is my guess...

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
You are correct. My last dealer oil change was 7 quarts even. And it was just a hair over the MAX line. I had a big argument with SVT and my dealer over this because the Manual says 6 quarts but SVT tells the dealers 7 quarts (or actually up to 7 quarts). The truth is you put in 6 and then you're supposed to check the level. Then add more until you're full up.

The Manual needs to be updated! Even SVT admitted that to me. :-(

That doesn't sound right. There are no manufacturing tolerances for the oil pan and a filter that would justify as much as a .5 quart of oil never mind a full quart or more. If anything the dipstick would be wrong. The engine is supposed to take 6 quarts. If there needs to be an update in the manual and this is wrong then fine, but it's not between 6 and 7 quarts, it's an exact number. The pan holds and filter hold so much oil and that won't vary by a quart.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98566

magnum4000

Established Member
I ran into this issue the last time I took mine into the dealer for an oil change (with mobil 1). I brought them 6 quarts. They called me (thank god) and asked if they should put a tad more because it looked low on the dipstick. I told them no, others had this issue and SVT told them 6 despite the dipstick - as long as it shows over the minimum on the stick and you put 6 in, you are fine.

I decided to investigate and get 1st hand knowledge - called SVT and spoke to Matt (I think). He said 6 is the number. He said that when dealerships (or any other retail place for that matter) change the oil they only let it drain for a few minutes. Therefore, with the remaining residual left in the motor, 6 is the right amount. Even if they let it drain for 24 hours, there would still be .5 a quart in the block. In that case, you could go as high as 6.5 and no more. As long as you are above the minimum indicator on the dipstick, you are good. Overfilling causes cavitation and other problems, and is REALLY bad. He said it is MUCH better to be a tad low (but still over the minimum on the dipstick) than to be over. The dipsticks are not as uniform as they should be, and are misleading because as long as you are over the minimum, you are good.

Sooo, I go with 6. No problems to date (note: my '03 cobra I always had my buddy, a svt tech at the dealer, do oil changes with 6 - he knew the deal. This last time they had another guy do it, that's why they had the question).

:shrug:

Don't stress - you can go as high as 6.5 but just DON'T OVERFILL IT!!! :bash:

Sonic Blue MN

Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
6.5 puts mine almost at Max which is where it should be I believe.

Does it read higher than max after it has sat for a night?

The 5.4 and 4.6 have a range on the dipstick, I recall seeing somewhere(maybe the manual), that as long as it falls within that range, your fine.

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
I bought my own Mobil 5w 30 and filter. I was at Walmart and decided to let them put my oil in my Cobra. We put in 6.5 quarts. The only difference is, they let me drive the car in and let me get in the pit and help/watch while they did it and they only charged me a little over 6 bucks. That way, I didn't have to worry about making a mess in my driveway or dispose of the oil.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
This forum had this discussion/argument last year.

Dip sticks are very inconsistent. Mine shows halfway between the two level marks with 6 quarts.

This is new news about a greater than 6 quart capacity. Did Ford increase the oil pan size?

I would use the 6 quart spec until Ford issues something to change that number. To check your dip stick "mark", warm up you engine, completely drain the oil, replace the oil filter, add 6 full quarts, run the engine for a few minutes, shut it down and wait a few moments. Then check and remember the level on your stick.

03svtsnake

Established Member
For those of you who use 6 qts., is that including the 1/2 qt. used to fill the filter or is that 6 qts. on top of the already filled oil filter?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
To add another variable...

Look at the pan. Unless the car is severly sloped towards the drain plug side, all of the oil does not drain out. It sits in that depression below the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread