Oil Change HORROR!!!

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Well, I was at trusty old Walmart to pick up a prescription so I talked myself into getting an oil change (big mistake). When it came time to pay for my Castrol Full Synth 10W-30 change I found out that they put in 7.4 qts of oil vice the needed 6 quarts. Needless to say I was some what pissed off. I told the manager to drain all the oil, change the filter and put in the required 6 qts as stated in my SVT Manual. They made me sign on the invoice that I only wanted 6 qts and that it was regestering as a qt low. Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should have left it as it was before.

Any insite or advice is appreciated. Has anyone else noticed that with a full 6 qts, the dip stick regerstered low?

~ Fresh :shrug:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Don't ever take your car to walmart to let them change oil.

My friend made the same mistake, and they filled him up with full 9 quarts of oil. he didn't find out until his next change when he filled up his 9 quart drain pan.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
It IS 6 quarts or max 6.5 at best-Don't listen to those jerks.
You better check your oil filter as well to make sure they didn't
put in a el-cheapo too.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
let me rephrase that. I have heard anywhere from 6.5 to 7. I use 6.5 when I change mine. Hell my 2002 and 2003 GT's held 6 quarts.

Last edited:

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I let them change the oil in my wife's Expedition when I'm lazy. But I'll be damned if I ever let them get their greasy hands on a $35,000+ limited edition Mustang. F that! Either you are a brave and trusting sole .. or :p

cenwesi

Established Member
lol...this is just too funny...letting walmart change ur oil

Sonic Blue MN

Established Member
Check it after the car sits, like overnight. I just changed mine, if I start the car up, turn it off, and check the oil right away, it registers on the low end of the 2 lines. If I check after it sits for a while it registers about 5/8 between the 2 lines.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Seriously man, don't do that to your car. Just thinking about your mystichrome at walmart for an oil change made me cringe.

Our cars take 6 quarts. Thats it. 6 quarts will put the oil level right in the middle of the "min. . . max" you don't want to overfill and you don't want to under-fill, so put in 6. Thats all you need, trust me.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
O...M...G... I stood in front of the yellow beast when it was getting the reflash I am so paranoid... let alone... anyways, 6 is all it takes for me to go to the happy place between full and low... Amsoil for me BTW...

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Damn, I don't even have a WalMart around where I live. I won't even let PepBoys change the oil. If you really want someone else to change the oil, might as well let your Ford dealership do it. At least they know how much oil to put and the oil they use is decent enough. Im using Mobil 1 0W-20 right now, gonna switch to Amsoil 5W-30 on the next since summers around the corner. Anyone know how good the Amsoil filters are?

wjfawb0

Established Member
My cobra reads right at the bottom of the stick when I fill it with 6 quarts. I could probably put in 6.5 if I wanted to.

My friends took their corolla to Wal-Mart to get the oil changed. After leaving, my friends wife noticed a nasty smell. As soon as I got into the car, I told her "you're burning oil. Maybe they just spilled some on the motor." We were driving around in the car so they decided to roll by Wal-Mart. When they popped the hood, I almost started laughing. They left the fill cap off. The oil was coming out all over the top of the motor. Luckily the cap was still sitting on top of the motor. They found out who did it and cleaned up the motor.

I will buy Mobil1 from Wal-Mart, but I am not letting them touch the car. I have known some people that worked in their auto departments, some are alright, but many should not be working on automobiles. :dw:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by drkchk03svt
let me rephrase that. I have heard anywhere from 6.5 to 7. I use 6.5 when I change mine. Hell my 2002 and 2003 GT's held 6 quarts.
You are correct. My last dealer oil change was 7 quarts even. And it was just a hair over the MAX line. I had a big argument with SVT and my dealer over this because the Manual says 6 quarts but SVT tells the dealers 7 quarts (or actually up to 7 quarts). The truth is you put in 6 and then you're supposed to check the level. Then add more until you're full up.

The Manual needs to be updated! Even SVT admitted that to me. :-(

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
OK, OK, OK...sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh...A small lapse in judgement that won't happen again. I might as well sell the Cobra now and buy a Yugo to sup-up...lol Hmmmmmmmm or better yet a Vet...lol

~ Fresh :cryying:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Taking the Mystichrome to Walmart is like taking your children to the sunset club...

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I would never let anyone touch my car, I hate bringing it to the dam dealer for any warranty work!! It would have taken you 30 min max to change your oil and filter, dont trust people with your beautiful car!

Users who are viewing this thread