Oil Change HORROR!!!

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
OK, OK, OK...sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh...A small lapse in judgement that won't happen again. I might as well sell the Cobra now and buy a Yugo to sup-up...lol Hmmmmmmmm or better yet a Vet...lol

~ Fresh :cryying:
:beer: Hey man its o.k. everbody is entilted to one brain freeze.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
I only use 6 qts. Besides, easy to buy Mobil 1 since the case comes with 6 quarts exactly. How convenient. :D

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
6.5 here as well (amsoil 5w-30 & K&N oil filter p#2010). Do it yourself...It is therapeutic and you know the job has been done correctly.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
But if you call SVT ... they say 6 QUARTS! Can anyone else call and clarify? I don't see a need to run more than 6 quarts. Too much oil is not going, being a little low is okay. I remember reading that the dipstick does not read correctly, that is a problem on the new 4.6's.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
first mistake - Buying a Wal-Mart oil change
second mistake - Letting Wal-Mart TOUCH a mystichrome Cobra
third mistake - Not doing the change yourself

Just my thoughts!:beer:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
But if you call SVT ... they say 6 QUARTS! Can anyone else call and clarify? I don't see a need to run more than 6 quarts. Too much oil is not going, being a little low is okay. I remember reading that the dipstick does not read correctly, that is a problem on the new 4.6's.

running as much RWHP as most of us do, you want to make sure it has the right amount of oil wich is 6.5-7. Like I said earlier.... the book says 6 qts for the GT's SOHC and it is right on the money on the dipstick. But who knows... you might be right. I just don't see the Cobra DOHC and the GT SOHC holding the exact same amount of oil. 4.6 or not.

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
1000 HP or 390 HP, sorry, but oil CAPACITY is oil CAPACITY. The capacity is 6 quarts per manuals and all resources that I know of online.

The only way you can increase your oil capacity is to go with a bigger oil pan (that I am aware of)....

DOHC and SOHC does not effect the the oil capacity. I have a DOHC Saturn that uses 4 quarts of oil to fill. SOHC Saturns also max out at 4 quarts.

Originally posted by drkchk03svt
running as much RWHP as most of us do, you want to make sure it has the right amount of oil wich is 6.5-7. Like I said earlier.... the book says 6 qts for the GT's SOHC and it is right on the money on the dipstick. But who knows... you might be right. I just don't see the Cobra DOHC and the GT SOHC holding the exact same amount of oil. 4.6 or not.

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
You CAN increase your oil capacity by installing an oil filter relocation kit, or a larger oil cooler. We do have oil coolers, right?:??: Maybe we dont. I know there are a lot of heat exchangers up there...Radiator, A/C, intercooler...maybe there's not an oil cooler.

More oil holding capacity improves cooling in and of itself, and a remote oil filter not only helps with cooling, but allows you to install the oil filter in a vertical position, so you can pre-fill the filter before installing. :)

THEN you can put in 7 quarts if you'd like.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Put 6 quarts in, start it and let it run enough for the oil pressure to come up on the gauge. This lets your oil filter fill. Then let it sit a little while to allow the oil to drain into the pan. Check it and fill as necessary. Mine takes about 6.5 quarts.

try03venom

Established Member
7 qts everytime ....6? 6.5? good luck what ever werks for you.I never let any tard get near my Cobra.Do you actually think they would take the time to prime your filter?My SVT manual clearly states voided warranty if oil change done by Walmart! jk

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
LMAOOOOOOOO

Try03Venom...You made me LMMFAOOOOOOOOOO with your "...My SVT manual clearly states voided warranty if oil change done by Walmart! jk..." Damn...I should have read my SVT Manual better...LoLzzz

~ Fresh :beer:

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Don't feel bad. I had my last oil change done at the shop I dyno at. While pulling the car onto the lift, they sliced the inside sidewall of the right-front tire. The closest replacement tire was 90 min away. By the time I got done, it was a 4-1/2 hour oil change.

Chameleon

Established Member
Fresh:
Heller Ford in Escondido is an SVT Ford Dealership. I had them change my oil and was impressed by their customer service.

They are right off 15 in the Escondido Auto Park. It would be a little bit of a drive but as I said I was impressed by their customer service. I haven't had any other service there (car only has about 2k miles) but the oil change.

By the way I don't work for Ford or Heller and am not in any way affiliated with them, I just thought that I would pass that along.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do yourself a favor and change your oil yourself. I would never have some 5 dollar an hour fool mess with my 35k cobra. I have heard horror stories of people getting their oil changes at crap service centers. Get Rhino ramps and do it in your garage yourself . Its very easy and you'll feel good about doing it. Plus your the only one who could F%*K it up.. LOL Black03

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
1000 HP or 390 HP, sorry, but oil CAPACITY is oil CAPACITY. The capacity is 6 quarts per manuals and all resources that I know of online.

The only way you can increase your oil capacity is to go with a bigger oil pan (that I am aware of)....

DOHC and SOHC does not effect the the oil capacity. I have a DOHC Saturn that uses 4 quarts of oil to fill. SOHC Saturns also max out at 4 quarts.

Well I called SVT at 800-367-3788 and they said the book says 6 like we know but anywhere from 6-6.5 is fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread