Oil filter relocation kit recomendation

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I've got a MM K-member ready to go in this winter and am gather up the other components I'll need...working on the oil filter relocation goodies now.

I'm thinking I want to pickup this piece:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00361H3BE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AQ5LQTIPUCN8K]Amazon.com: 1996-2004 4.6L/5.4L WATER INLET ADAPTOR REMOTE FILTER ADAPTOR: Automotive[/ame]
for starters and run an oil thermostat and cooler.

Looking for any recommendations that I can get from guys who have done this and what kits to stay away from or to use...or an other general advice about doing this.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You probably would prefer a relocation kit, but you can also use a shorter oil filter. Like the Mobil 1 (M1-210), Super Tech ST2 (WalMart), and Amsoil EAO11.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
In looking at thermostats for my setup I've found the following two that seem to have different philosophies, so I'm looking for advice.
Canton Racing Products 22-480 - Canton Racing Oil Cooler Thermostats - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Earl s Performance 501ERL - Earl's Performance Products Engine Oil Thermostat - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The canton opens at 215 degrees, saying that water will evaporate and the oil will work better.
The earl starts to open at 160 degrees, and is fully open at 180 degrees.

Which one should I be looking at?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In looking at thermostats for my setup I've found the following two that seem to have different philosophies, so I'm looking for advice.
Canton Racing Products 22-480 - Canton Racing Oil Cooler Thermostats - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Earl s Performance 501ERL - Earl's Performance Products Engine Oil Thermostat - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The canton opens at 215 degrees, saying that water will evaporate and the oil will work better.
The earl starts to open at 160 degrees, and is fully open at 180 degrees.

Which one should I be looking at?

I recommend the Reiche thermostat. Joel has a great product.
170° PERFORMANCE THERMOSTAT for Mustang Shelby GT500, Boss 302, Cobra, Lightning, GT & Mach 1
You can order them direct from Lethal Performance. If you have any questions, give Joel a shout.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have a few kits, picture below is our race kit with braided lines, the econo kits (same as below but rubber lines) start at only $119

Oil%20filter%20relocation%20pro.jpg

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I was reading through this fairly informative thread here:
Keeping your cool.
and looking at upgrading the cooling system at the same time...thus the first post about using a different water inlet.
The evans piece in that thread is no longer available, but the principals should be just about the same.

I was really looking for direct answers to my questions, rather than suggestions to buy this piece or that piece that won't match what I'm trying to do. Really looking for comments on oil performance at different temperatures and whether what canton says about oil temperature is true or if 160 thermostat on the oil is sufficient.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
In order to make that oil cooler delete you first posted about, the coolant outlet will need to change sizes from 2" to 1 1/2" IIRC. JamesHell on Modular Fords had some aluminum adapters made because it is difficult to find a custom hose like that. You can search for "Simplify Your Cooling System" on ModFords for a pretty comprehensive discussion on all of this.

In addition, you should use a minimum 10AN fittings (Nothing smaller than that). There is a lot more to eliminating the stock oil cooler than first thought.

The easiest route is to use one of the kits which use a "sandwich adapter between the oil filter and stock oil cooler.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
we built our adapter, sits where the stock thermostat housing used to sit. also instead of trying to find the right size flexible water hose we made a 90 degree adapter. I'm using a Racimex oil cooler and oil thermostat.

here's some pics, if you're interested in the adapter pieces PM me.

3201834002_large.jpg

3201834003_large.jpg

3201834004_large.jpg

3201834001_large.jpg

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
we built our adapter, sits where the stock thermostat housing used to sit. also instead of trying to find the right size flexible water hose we made a 90 degree adapter. I'm using a Racimex oil cooler and oil thermostat.

3201834002_large.jpg

3201834003_large.jpg

3201834004_large.jpg

3201834001_large.jpg

Any reason something like this:
RPC Radiator Hose Adapter Kit - 2" to 1.5" at skspeed
wouldn't work?

calcobra98

Beserker13
Established Member

3201834002_large.jpg

3201834003_large.jpg

3201834004_large.jpg

3201834001_large.jpg

how much for the 90degree adapter ship to 91335??

SlowSVT

Established Member
One thing you want to do is minimize the flow restrictions within the system. I don't care for many of the remote filter mounts and thermostats. The Ford Racing water inlet adapter is "spot on". This is the Fram HPK6000 oil filter adapter and takes up to an AN12 line (I'm using AN10 for faster priming).

FramHPK6000oilfilteradapter1.jpg

FramHPK6000oilfilteradapter4.jpg

This is the nicest remote filter that I have seen and has lots of features like extra ports, a built in sceen, several routing options, A bypass valve, lots of plenum area and lots of surface area and fins to help wick heat away and it takes a HUGE 2 quart filter.

Looking on the web I find they changed the design deleting many of those features :nonono: but it still has large AN12 fitting and passages and is a lot less expensive (I paid almost $300 for mine)

FRAM® High Performance HPK600 - Remote Mount Oil Filter Base | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Then I found this on the same site which is the Cadillac model but I'm not sure they make it anymore. If you want this one best to make sure your getting this model rather then the one shown above.

FRAM® High Performance HPK6000 - Oil Filter Adapter Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Here is a great thermostat that is very low restriction and can also be flowed to improve it further. It opens up at 180 degrees which is right where you want it. One was post that opened up at 215 degrees which is too high.

BAT, Inc. - MOCAL Oil Coolers

Make sure there are no 90 degree elbows in the system using only mandral bent 90 tube fittings.

allaromano

Established Member
I'd like one of the 90 degree adapters

how much for the 90degree adapter ship to 91335??

How much to send to 90732?

If it's coming from Germany, how much to send to 2582 in Australia?

Cheers
Richard

ps: apologies if the photos are dragged into this quote, I dont know how to drop the pics

Users who are viewing this thread