OIL Weight!!!

cmycobrafly

Established Member
This is in direct response to anybody who says use thicker oil than 5w-20. The main bearing clearence on a new 5.0L engine per ford is .0009-.0018 now explain to me how that is going to take a 30 weight oil!!That is tight. Use a 50weight and you might cut a bearing in two!

BlackMamba3

Established Member
There are plenty of people running 5w30 or 10w30 in the Coyote motor and have zero issues.

The Boss 302 Roadrunner motor comes stock with 5w50. I think it has the same clearance as the Coyote motor but don't quote me on that.

This thread = :bored:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I use RP 5w 30..since 3 k miles,,now 18,000 and it uses no oil and runs smoooooth..At 3 k it used 1 qt of oil it then stopped useing any oil..i change every 3 to 4 k and no oil ever needed.....

cmycobrafly

Established Member
use what you guys want if you were to use 50 weight oil in the coyote engine as is it would run so much oil pressure it could cut one of its bearings in two have you guys ever hooked a oil pressure gauge up to a mod engine they run a crap ton of oil pressure.

wbt

Banned
You are all wrong....

I drink a shit ton of beer from my kegerator, produce about 8 qts. of piss and save it until the next change. Cleanest motor I have had to date. :beer:

scotmach

Established Member
use what you guys want if you were to use 50 weight oil in the coyote engine as is it would run so much oil pressure it could cut one of its bearings in two have you guys ever hooked a oil pressure gauge up to a mod engine they run a crap ton of oil pressure.
Please don't turn this site into crap. Your coming off as a complete moron with this thread. It's plainfully clear you haven't a clue as to what your talking about.
You are all wrong....

I drink a shit ton of beer from my kegerator, produce about 8 qts. of piss and save it until the next change. Cleanest motor I have had to date. :beer:

Not if it's cheap beer you're drinking!:p

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
We can't even blame it on nubeness because he has been a member since '08. Lay off your coyote powered oil jet fantasies. Tons of us are running thicker than recommended oil. Everything is good ;)

ArabianOak

Established Member
oil? i have been putting organik honey from trader joes in my motor. you guys should try that...car dyno'd 515RWHP with honey in the motor.

blackpony95

Established Member
Funny, Shelby engines have roughly the same clearances 0.0009-0.0019 and they run 5w-50.

That is because they produce more heat. Anyone that knows anything at all about thermal dynamics, knows that as oil heats up, it gets thinner. That goes for almost all liquids. Personally i would only run 5-20 in a new coyote with a stock long block under 50k. After that i would step up to 5-30, then to 10-40 at 150k. Ford designs and recommends these weights for a reason. They perform countless hours of r&d to develop products that work. Now if you step up to say a blower, or turbo then i would suggest 10-30. Oil coolers will be your best friend with blown applications.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
That is because they produce more heat. Anyone that knows anything at all about thermal dynamics, knows that as oil heats up, it gets thinner. That goes for almost all liquids. Personally i would only run 5-20 in a new coyote with a stock long block under 50k. After that i would step up to 5-30, then to 10-40 at 150k. Ford designs and recommends these weights for a reason. They perform countless hours of r&d to develop products that work. Now if you step up to say a blower, or turbo then i would suggest 10-30. Oil coolers will be your best friend with blown applications.

Personally, I believe the stock 5w20 used in the Coyote motor is due to the bean counters. I'm sure there's other people that agree with me.

Nothing wrong with switching to 5w30 or 10w30 after 1,000 miles.

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member

Then why does the Ford manuals say use 5-30 for all the car shipped to south America because they dont use 5-20 down there. (lol) nice try.

afro

Why?
Established Member
I'd use recommended oil, but wouldn't go over 5w-30 unless you're heavily modded N/A..if turbo/supercharged, you can get away w/thicker oil. I'd run 10w30 or 10w40 unless in a much hotter/colder climate. Best way to tell what oil to use?? Get an oil pressure gauge! That's the only true way to tell.

Lighter oil helps w/MPG mainly. A lot of newer cars are using really light oil.

-fro

cmycobrafly

Established Member
Funny, Shelby engines have roughly the same clearances 0.0009-0.0019 and they run 5w-50.

suppose it don't matter that the bearings in the shelby along with the boss are way different material. They expand at a different rate, thus changing the clearences. That is y it is a 5w instead of 10w or 15 because when the bearings are cold they are like the coyotes. You have ford racing connections chuck ask them about what I am telling you.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The only reason Ford recommends 5-20 is to get better CAFE numbers.
The 20 weight doesn't have very much shear protection.
I run a true synthetic 5-30

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
what about full synthetic oil vs the traditional stuff?

I believe all our motors came with semi synthetic from the factory.

At my first oil change I switched to full synthetic 5w-20 and IMO does not run smoother or better than the factory fill. If anything, it seems to take longer to get up to temp but that could just be because its getting colder up here lol

Users who are viewing this thread