On my way to Wanna GO Fast...

paluka21

Established Member
Fingers crossed here. With the same power as Manuel i was shifting around 6500 at the half mile event. Took it to 7100 through the traps at the top of 4th on my 169 run. Name of the game though, have to pay to play. Can't say i blame Manuel for wanting to move on from the car either. Understandable.

Tom,

From what I've been reading in many of these threads, it looks like the rods may be the weakest link in these motors, particularly when you get to your power level. With that said, I wonder if it would be advantageous to have a shop tear the motor down and replace the stock rods prior to catastrophic failure and any other parts (cam gear) while they're there? Since it seems these motors are so expensive, it may save thousands to do "preventative" maintenance ahead of time. Just a thought.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Fingers crossed here. With the same power as Manuel i was shifting around 6500 at the half mile event. Took it to 7100 through the traps at the top of 4th on my 169 run. Name of the game though, have to pay to play. Can't say i blame Manuel for wanting to move on from the car either. Understandable.

Just curious,,,, why wouldn't you go on in to 5th at that point instead of screeming 4th so hard??? I ask because I plan on doing the 1/2 shootout in Georgia in September. Never done anything like this,,,just trying to get some insight.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Tom,

From what I've been reading in many of these threads, it looks like the rods may be the weakest link in these motors, particularly when you get to your power level. With that said, I wonder if it would be advantageous to have a shop tear the motor down and replace the stock rods prior to catastrophic failure and any other parts (cam gear) while they're there? Since it seems these motors are so expensive, it may save thousands to do "preventative" maintenance ahead of time. Just a thought.

+1000 Get at least those rods changed before you window that block. An inexpensive way would be to add those JDM tapered rods and leave everything else. We know the crank and pistons are up to the task of big power.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Man just seen thi thread. Sorry to see it let go. You def had a nice running car. It was a good thing you were not running when she let go.
Sad to see your going to let her go, but I can understand that. A build and downtime that goes with it can be like whoa. The money can also get up there. Hope to see you out at the SK meets with something bigger and badder :)

cdh027

Established Member
With the return fuel system and the new block, you are looking at $23k plus $3k more if you want to sleeve the block.

23-26k to rebuild stronger. What is it costing to put the motor back to stock? Are you buying a motor from a wrecked car? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
23-26k to rebuild stronger. What is it costing to put the motor back to stock? Are you buying a motor from a wrecked car? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out.

Found a complete short block assembly from a member, so $3,700.00 for that and about $2k to put it in and all back to stock.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Man just seen thi thread. Sorry to see it let go. You def had a nice running car. It was a good thing you were not running when she let go.
Sad to see your going to let her go, but I can understand that. A build and downtime that goes with it can be like whoa. The money can also get up there. Hope to see you out at the SK meets with something bigger and badder :)

Hi brother,

Yeah, I will see you at the next SK meet for sure...down in Mexico!

ThomasL

Established Member
Just curious,,,, why wouldn't you go on in to 5th at that point instead of screeming 4th so hard??? I ask because I plan on doing the 1/2 shootout in Georgia in September. Never done anything like this,,,just trying to get some insight.

One thing i know for sure is eliminating that extra shift to 5th is HUGE. You'd hardly be in 5th so it wouldn't be ideal. Suppose you could do it to be safer on the motor but you arent truly stretching the cars legs.

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
Just read the thread, sorry to hear about this Manuel. I'm also jumping ship and will be parting out my car. I'm leaning towards a GTR or Z06. Are you thinking Porsche 911?
Best of luck!
Rob

ThomasL

Established Member
Just read the thread, sorry to hear about this Manuel. I'm also jumping ship and will be parting out my car. I'm leaning towards a GTR or Z06. Are you thinking Porsche 911?
Best of luck!
Rob

I'd go GTR just cause if i'm gonna jump ship, i'd do a complete 180

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Best of luck!
Rob

Those are my exact 3 choices, incling more to the 997 TT.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Wow, didnt know its 20 plus to rebuild thats like older gt500 almost, sorry to hear such bad news.

That's with a new short block. It's all good, things happen for a reason and God was there and did not let me crash racing or at the half mile event.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Just left MPR to get the ATI 10%, and Tim said it was just a question of time with my power...the rods are garbage, f%^* Ford for being so cheap!

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
Just left MPR to get the ATI 10%, and Tim said it was just a question of time with my power...the rods are garbage, f%^* Ford for being so cheap!
Did Tim mention a safe power level? Stock? Haha

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

I agree with you on the shit rods ford put in this engine, I'll never understand why Ford didn't spend the extra money to put some badass rods in, I think everyone of us would have been happy to pay the extra money. I'll definitely be stopping at 750whp.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'll probably never swap pulleys on mine. The mods in my sig are probably about as far as I am going to go towards increasing power. Now, where I will be investing is in chassis and suspension improvements.

-Jeff

Snoopy49

Established Member
Any mods I do in the future will be tire, chassis and suspension improvements, like Jeff mentioned. My car is stock and it is unpredictable as all get out. I am afraid to pass people on two lane roads, unless I have time to slowly roll into the throttle. If you jab the pedal you better hold on for dear life, because your going on Mr. Toads' Wild Ride, without benefit of the rails. It can be one fishtailing sumbitch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread