• only one lane

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • two lanes for high speed and two for slower speeds

Votes: 38 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Common

Established Member
You've obviously never been to Germany. Not all of the Autobahn is wide open anymore. Less and less of it is every year. On top of that, the road looks like a race track over there. Corners banked a little, and maintained like a MOFO. You dont see all that crap on the side of the road like you do here. Bumpers, and pieces of tires from accidents earlier in the week. The laws are soooooo much strickter (sp?) too. Not to offend anyone, but Im sure some of us wold not have licences over there. Thay dont Fk around.

I was there few months ago.

Drivers license process is almost like a mini degree of some sort. It cost's about 1,600-2000 Euro after it's all said and done. Or about 3,500$ if you will.

About 25-30% of Autobahn has a speed limit of 120-130km, the rest is no speed limit.

However, even on the NO SPEED limit area, most stay within the same 130-150km range anyway.

LEFT LANE RULE IS BEYOND RESPECTED, they DO NOT PASS ON THE RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION. That is a license suspension right there if caught.

I was doing about 230-240km one day and a black 911 did about 290-300km like it's a non issue, just "cruisin" at about 190mph+. Those are not as common as we'd like to think over here, but they do occur every now and then.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
also the Autobahn is constructed of much higher quality asphalt than roads here. its laid on about 3 or 4 times as thick than here.

i wouldn't mind it if it was a private road where you paid extra to drive on it and there was a certain licensing test to be able to drive on it. but no, it wont work here.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I think that there should be a licensing system to go on that high way. Take a class and pass, you can go on it, if you don't pass it or have too many moving violations, you can't.

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
So you are saying that there are more morons in the US, then in Europe?

Yes.

Also you actually have to work to get a DL in Europe. Its not like North America where you simply drive around for 15 minutes and if you do average you are set free.

HOW TO FIX GLOBAL WARMING!!!

Make a DL much more difficult to get.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
its my understanding that in some countries in europe such as germany, you have to pass one helluva driving test to get your license to prove that you know what you're doing and can drive a car...the U.S. gives driver's licenses to people who can't even read english...as far as i'm concerned, we arn't ready for a highway like that. it really sucks because it would be cool to have...

Last edited:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
I voted no because of a lot of the reasons already stated. Our roads aren't designed for it, too many crappy drivers that make up their own rules as they go, our highway maintenance is a joke, our roadway laws are more about generating revenue than common sense/practical safety... and have you seen some of the crap-wagons rolling down the roads here? You can actually hear them rusting as you dodge the debris that shakes off of 'em.

I think that is really sad that Europe puts us to shame with thier highway system.

Makes you wonder.

Where does all that nice tax money we pay go?
Must be all those earmarks for the bigger boat, airplane and more whores for our government represenatives.
We have a LOT more roadway to maintain than European countries and not every European highway is as well designed and maintained as Hitler's Highway. That said... you're right in that our highways should be pristine for the amount of road taxes we pay in one form or another.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I couldn't even imagine the wrecks on that road. I would, however, like to see a progressive licensing system that would call for more hand-on training and testing to determine if someone should be allowed to drive certain speed limits.

This guy hit the nail on the head. The driving test here is a joke. In Europe, it is infinitely harder to get your license than it is here, thus why they can trust people not to drive like idiots.

They also dump tons of money into maintaining the autobahn. If any part of the road starts to deteriorate, they pull out the entire slab and re-do it all. It's also much thicker in depth than our freeways. Huge dollars go into that and that's something we don't need to pay for right now.

sandyman

Established Member
I was on the Autobaun on a Harley in Germany, doing about 100MPH, and a coke truck passed me. And that was just after a station wagon full of kids with mom at the wheel just about blew me off the road. Great drivers over there.

frankin

Established Member
You've obviously never been to Germany. Not all of the Autobahn is wide open anymore. Less and less of it is every year. On top of that, the road looks like a race track over there. Corners banked a little, and maintained like a MOFO. You dont see all that crap on the side of the road like you do here. Bumpers, and pieces of tires from accidents earlier in the week. The laws are soooooo much strickter (sp?) too. Not to offend anyone, but Im sure some of us wold not have licences over there.
Never been to Germany. Just asking an opinon. Good info about how they take care of their roads.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Not one road in the US can even compare to the technology that goes into building, and maintaining the Autobahn. What about the 'Ring?

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
It was 7 or 8 years ago that there was a reaonable and prudent limit in Montana, but there was too many idiots and it didnt last long. The dems are pushing very hard to have a 65 MPH national speed limit like the old double nickel days.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
as awesome as a US autobahn would be, knowing how insane drivers are nowadays, i'd almost be scared to get on a road like that. I don't think it'd be all that wise of an idea myself.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I'll tell you what I would be in favor of; I'd do something like a toll road along cetain areas of states where there could be greatly improved lines from A to B. Then you could big brother the crap out of the road and issue citations up the butt for people that hogged the fast lane, passed on the right, or whatever stupid crap you want to make a law for.

Users who are viewing this thread