• only one lane

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • two lanes for high speed and two for slower speeds

Votes: 38 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2004 Culebra

Established Member
I don't know what would be the best but I can say this...

When I was in Germany my flight commander had his Z06 there and I have never had such a great time on any freeway here in the US

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It was 7 or 8 years ago that there was a reaonable and prudent limit in Montana, but there was too many idiots and it didnt last long. The dems are pushing very hard to have a 65 MPH national speed limit like the old double nickel days.

Wasn't idiots on the road that stopped the reasonable and prudent days, the Fed government basically gave Montana an ultimatum saying have a speed limit or lose your highway funds. I just read (after a short google search) that our state had the lowest highway fatality rate during the reasonable and prudent times.

And to those saying it was a "US Autobahn" not quite. There was a speed limit, but it was defined. If you were doing 150, you were getting pulled over. 100 was reasonable.

There's a story, true or fictional I don't know, of a guy who got pulled over in a Supra doing over 140. He was charged, fought it, and won based on the fact that he attended racing school and that his car had Z-rated tires.

Like I said, I don't know if it's true, but I can't find anything on google about it...

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Here is what I would do.
1. Build it.
2. Require special drivers training and testing (a bonderant style drivers training with your vehicle) , it would cost you for the privilege.
3. Coded License that the USAB gate guard would scan for driving violations and check the driver is the guy/gal on the card.
4. Blowing a breath analyzer to open the access gate.
5. Annual users fee.
6. No 18 wheel vehicles (I'd start building interstate transportation highways for commerce use only) and have a minimum speed of 120KPH.
7. very stringent vehicle inspections. No rust buckets going 200kph on my AutoBahn!
8. Insurance companies give you a break after the training.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVT4ME

Established Member
80% of the cars on American roads would never pass German inspection. Prior to you hitting the road in Germany, your car must pass a vehicle inspection. They check everything,brakes, lights and nothing can be wrong with your car to get a pass sticker. Your car is inspected every year.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
also the Autobahn is constructed of much higher quality asphalt than roads here. its laid on about 3 or 4 times as thick than here.

I was talking to the new owner of Texas World Speedway, he's having to patch up parts of the road course. The overlaying asphalt is $600/sq ft, and that doesn't count the foundation. He's only able to patch parts at the moment, it's a 2.9 mile road course. But that's what it takes to maintain a quality racing surface. I know people hit 150+ on the front straight.

I've also driven the "Texas Autobahn" - the stretch from just west of San Antonio towards El Paso where the speed limit is 80 mph. With my gears, anything faster wouldn't be comfortable. But, I have to admit, that's a very well maintained stretch of road.

For a comparison, acc. to Wikipedia the German Autobahn is ~7500 miles of road. The U.S. National Highway System is ~160,000 miles, including ~46,800 miles of interstate.

frankin

Established Member
I find it interesting that most of the posts here are against it, yet the poll shows the yes vote is leading. I do agree with most here that it would need to be maintained much better then most highways here and a driving test would be a good idea. The cars should also be inspected for saftey concerns.

SpectorV

Established Member
it would be a great idea but you can only get on the road if you pass a non stupid person test and get a certain type of license saying you are not an idiot.

We would all want one, but Mayo is right, to many morons, and I see most of them from NJ and PA when driving to work.

+1 Have to agree with you here. NJ, PA and NY drivers are the worst and most reckless drivers I've ever seen on the East Coast. :nonono:

Leonie

Established Member
80% of the cars on American roads would never pass German inspection. Prior to you hitting the road in Germany, your car must pass a vehicle inspection. They check everything,brakes, lights and nothing can be wrong with your car to get a pass sticker. Your car is inspected every year.

So many posts about the differences in driver competence, and this one is the second about the safety of the cars!!

One correction: our cars are tested every two years, but our government thinks about testing cars older than - say - seven or eight years every year..

I guess these inspections are far beyond your believes! Just one example that sums it up quite well: If you drive winter tires, and they do (as usual) not achieve the required speed rating for your car, you HAVE TO put a warning sticker reading the speed rating of your winter tires on your dashboard for the time you drive on these tires, and the sticker HAS TO BE CLEARLY VISIBLE FOR THE DRIVER!!! Get it??

Cheers, Bernd :beer:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So many posts about the differences in driver competence, and this one is the second about the safety of the cars!!

One correction: our cars are tested every two years, but our government thinks about testing cars older than - say - seven or eight years every year..

I guess these inspections are far beyond your believes! Just one example that sums it up quite well: If you drive winter tires, and they do (as usual) not achieve the required speed rating for your car, you HAVE TO put a warning sticker reading the speed rating of your winter tires on your dashboard for the time you drive on these tires, and the sticker HAS TO BE CLEARLY VISIBLE FOR THE DRIVER!!! Get it??

Cheers, Bernd :beer:

Here is what I would do.
1. Build it.
2. Require special drivers training and testing (a bonderant style drivers training with your vehicle) , it would cost you for the privilege.
3. Coded License that the USAB gate guard would scan for driving violations and check the driver is the guy/gal on the card.
4. Blowing a breath analyzer to open the access gate.
5. Annual users fee.
6. No 18 wheel vehicles (I'd start building interstate transportation highways for commerce use only) and have a minimum speed of 120KPH.
7. very stringent vehicle inspections. No rust buckets going 200kph on my AutoBahn!
8. Insurance companies give you a break after the training.

insane99svt

Established Member
Maybe let the speed limit go up on the interstate to like 100mph but still have law enforcement use descretion to give tickets for unsafe speed for idiots like the one said in the mini van with a donut. We really do have some winners here in the USA

Rochard

Established Member
I like the 8 between Phoenix and San Diego, the part that comes close to Mexico. Totally deserted area.

One time I took my Mach 1 through there at like 2am on my way to San Diego...... Opened it up and held there for a few minutes.... What a blast that was.

I have no fear of driving or speed. I see an empty patch of freeway and I'm going for it. I've already gotten three tickets over 100mph and I still have my DL. No biggie.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So you are saying that there are more morons in the US, then in Europe?

When it comes to driving ... an unqualified YES! American drivers are some of the most ignorant idiots on modern roads when compared to Europeans.

Percentage of American drivers who are morons: 85%
Percentage of European drivers who are morons: 35%

end of story

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was there few months ago.

Drivers license process is almost like a mini degree of some sort. It cost's about 1,600-2000 Euro after it's all said and done. Or about 3,500$ if you will.

unless you work for the American Embassy. (at least this was true in the early 80s when i was there). All we had to do was turn in the paperwork and we got our German Drivers license. the military there had to pass the test, I have heard it is one of the hardest in the world. one bonus tho they are good for life ...

About 25-30% of Autobahn has a speed limit of 120-130km, the rest is no speed limit.
this was true in 1982-84 when I was there. I think the actual percentage with a speed limit is higher than what you quote. I seem to remember more than one article coming out a few years ago where more and more German highways now have speed limits.

However, even on the NO SPEED limit area, most stay within the same 130-150km range anyway.
this is a definate change. When I was there the average speed was in the 200kph range in the left lane. you could always tell the Americans on the road they were the only dumbasses doing less than 150 in the left lanes.

LEFT LANE RULE IS BEYOND RESPECTED, they DO NOT PASS ON THE RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION. That is a license suspension right there if caught.

+65,000 ... too bad the U.S. doesn't have and enforce this rule. Connecticut has the law but don't know how often it is enforced.

I was doing about 230-240km one day and a black 911 did about 290-300km like it's a non issue, just "cruisin" at about 190mph+. Those are not as common as we'd like to think over here, but they do occur every now and then.

Down side to this is that when there is an accident it is huge and there is not much left to pick up. When I was there insurance quit paying after the 20 or 30th car. they figure if you couldn't stop by then you were an idiot who didn't deserve coverage LOL

Last edited:

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
From what I have heard form respectable sources, there are are still many sections that do not have speed limits, however if you are doing more than 120KPH you CAN be seen as at fault for accidents that would traditionally not fall under your responsibility. However in the end you can do whatever speed you feel necessary.

Common

Established Member
unless you work for the American Embassy. (at least this was true in the early 80s when i was there). All we had to do was turn in the paperwork and we got our German Drivers license. the military there had to pass the test, I have heard it is one of the hardest in the world. one bonus tho they are good for life ...
Didn't really ask, My uncle asked but I really forgot what he was told. He is buying a 4 unit house/mini building as an investment and would like to retire there. He asked and don't quote me on this, but I still think the same applies.
this was true in 1982-84 when I was there. I think the actual percentage with a speed limit is higher than what you quote. I seem to remember more than one article coming out a few years ago where more and more German highways now have speed limits.
I was going off the top of my head with that number really, since I drove a lot but didn't really go crazzy and break 140mph all that often anyway.
this is a definate change. When I was there the average speed was in the 200kph range in the left lane. you could always tell the Americans on the road they were the only dumbasses doing less than 150 in the left lanes.
:lol:
I was there in Nov, that might have had a lot to do with it, while it wasn't snow covered or anything, weather wasn't perfect for speeding for about a week while I was there. Most stayed around 120-130 and all faster cars would pass at around 160ish+ I am estimating.
+65,000 ... too bad the U.S. doesn't have and enforce this rule. Connecticut has the law but don't know how often it is enforced.
I think NJ has it but it's as respected as a 5$ crack whore.
Down side to this is that when there is an accident it is huge and there is not much left to pick up. When I was there insurance quit paying after the 20 or 30th car. they figure if you couldn't stop by then you were an idiot who didn't deserve coverage LOL
Very true I believe, I mean imagine a NON race built car crashing at 300km or 190mph+, results are death I bet.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I like the 8 between Phoenix and San Diego, the part that comes close to Mexico. Totally deserted area.

One time I took my Mach 1 through there at like 2am on my way to San Diego...... Opened it up and held there for a few minutes.... What a blast that was.

I have no fear of driving or speed. I see an empty patch of freeway and I'm going for it. I've already gotten three tickets over 100mph and I still have my DL. No biggie.

I was driving that stretch of road about 5 AM on my way to Texas when I got my 2003 Cobra only to find a guy in a Ford Ranger driving head on in the fast lane on the wrong side of the freeway. Luckily I was in the slow lane, I had just moved over a few minutes before. I got a little farther down the road only to find 5 or 6 vehicles that were ran off the road by the guy. I bet that was exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread