Only car

lethal

Established Member
How many of you guys have your GT500 as your primary vehicle? I just sold my 03 and I have an 08 Wrangler. Before the Jeep, I only had one car at a time. Now that the 03 is gone, I find the value of the Jeep is near what I paid for it. I got an amazing deal on it. So, my question is, if I can get $20K for a Jeep with 40K miles on it, and will soon need tires, breaks, etc. Should I trade it in when I get my Shelby? I did the math on the insurance and savings with interest, looks to cost me about $80-100 a month to keep both.

I have some time and need it to drive until the new car shows, just curious how many of you have the GT500 as your only car. I'd drive it all the time for the first year or two and then make a decision on a second car. Or do I just keep the Jeep.

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I thought that I would drive mine 9 months a year as a daily driver. Unfortunately, after 3700 miles it got vandalized in a parking lot in Pittsfield, MA. Two dents in the door, and scratches on the driver side window. A failed attempt at kicking out the driver side window. Hand prints, other substances thrown on the car, and no witnesses. The cops were ticketing cars on the street at the same time. The car was there for two and a half hours. Many of the other cars around the area were rich folk cars: BMW 7 series, Porsche Carreras, Porsche Cayennes, Jaguars, etc. all out of staters from NY and FL visiting the Berkshires for the summer.

I don't want a garage queen, but I am finding out that people can't keep there fingerprints, nose prints, etc. off of it even without harming the car. It is just weird. I guess now I know how beautiful women feel when geeks are hitting on them all of the time!

I did buy it to drive it. I do have a 2001 Mustang V6 AT to drive that has 104,000 miles on it. My wife has been using it, but we are going to lease a Fusion soon so I can us the 2001 as my work transportation.

So I'm going to be paranoid and cautious about parking the GT500 even for a short period of time.

Pete

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Although mine isn't a daily driver it certainly could pull that duty off with ease! I drove my new 2003 Cobra daily for years before adding a 2nd car and I wouldn't have hesitated to do the same with the '13 if I had to. You're in Florida so cold weather/snow won't be an issue, making it even more realistic as a DD for you. On the flip side, I don't see any reason to daily drive it if you don't have to. I enjoy the option of taking my FJ when I know there's going to be a thunderstorm, ice (more common here than snow), or if I'm going somewhere I know I'll have to park in cramped places. Aside from that I drive the car plenty. We all love these cars so much there's no reason to suffer the normal dings and scrapes of a daily driver if it's not necessary. Just my perspective.

krman68

Established Member
Mine is my DD. It has 14k on it already. I would like to drive it less to keep the miles down but my options are limited right now. I have access to my wife and my daughter's cars but not full time. Love driving the GT 500 tho

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Keep the Jeep, your Shelby will thank you and the better shape it stays in will be worth more in the long run than DD abuse.
Don't kid yourself, any true DD suffers road rash.
I drive my Shelby every chance I get, but would never use it as a DD. You can always find a beater.
-J

Ky GT500

Established Member
Keep the Jeep. I drive mine when I want, but have a '11 F350 Dually for my DD/crapy weather vehicle and wife has a '13 Explorer Limited for her DD. It's nice to have an option when the weather is less than favorable. The Shelby is by far no garage queen, but when the weather goes south, it's nice to leave it parked.

440sprint

Established Member
My '13 Shelby is my DD that I get to drive alone because abusive wife is not allowed to ride in it for my piece of mind is needed while driving it at all times! Our DD together is strangely a 20' Pleasure Way motorhome in which she will remain somewhat, but not very, civil while I daily drive it. It's nice to always have a complete miniature house when in it!

I admit that I drive everything more aggressive than the average driver (especially the Shelby), but I drive safely IMHO. She drives her C6 Z51 Vette over-cautiously like an ol'-lady. No tickets or accidents for either of us, tho!

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I kept my truck because I thought the Shelby would be a pleasure driver, weekends, date nights, and so on. I do have a boat so the truck is necessary but I rarely drive it if at all other than hauling the boat. So, you can keep the Jeep but I'd be willing to bet you'll hardly drive it :rockon:
It is nice to have an option though..bad weather and what not.

lethal

Established Member
Thank you all for your feedback. Sounds like no reason to sell the Jeep, so the Shelby will probably thank you all in the long term. Lots of good reasoning here.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
My advice is to keep a hoopdy around...I have a '93 Accord that gets the rain duty, grocery, etc. Only costs Gas, Tires, oil, and brakes. Has only been on a lift for maintenance. Is listed on Ins. as Primary Vehicle and costs me $120 every 6 months in insurance. Win/Win. Everything else is pleasure with 7k mile annual max. The '04 Cobra gets the next most miles on nice days, followed by the Harley, then the '13 GT500. I spread the miles around nicely lol.

Yea I totally believe in keeping a beater around, been doing it since '97. If you can afford to keep 2 nice vehicles around, why not? It's only to your advantage. Drive the Jeep in bad weather, and the Shelby when its nice. To find a 4cyl Honda 10 or more years old with 100k miles in decent shape for a couple of grand and pay less than $200/6 months Ins. is priceless!!

BCPD199

Established Member
Mine is a daily driver. 31,000 miles and still going strong. I wouldn't think of driving anything else. That's why I bought the damn thing------to drive.

Wow, 31k miles! Good for you. Mine's a DD as a well; but, I guess I'm not enjoying mine as much as you!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Keep the jeep for sure. My shelby is "my" only car, but I have a work provided car and the wife has a SUV. I only avg 5-6K a year on the shelby and thats making an effort to enjoy it. Shes not a DD but could be.

ekyub

Established Member
I would protect the miles on the GT500 because it's the last Shelby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread