Open road driving experience!

truefiveo

Established Member
Hey guys I'm ready for a better driving experience.
A vehicle that feels less like a car but more like an open road roadster.

Something that feels more of a toy, but street legal of course.

I was thinking of a built convertible Foxbody, but they still feel like cars.

I'm not into motorcycles, but I want a weekend toy I can safely drive on the street and still feel the wind blow in my face.

Any ideas?

truefiveo

Established Member
Damn just looked them up and yea they look so much more fun than AC Cobras!

Can't find a price on them at all....I take that as a "Call for pricing because one of these will take you to the cleaners" type of purchase!:uh oh:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id go Atom if you have the money.

Nothing else will compare, an open wheel roadster? Thats about as extreme as you can get to something that is less a modded car and more of a purpose built toy.

Cobra roadster would still feel much like a toy if you have it setup wicked enough.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
ok....out of sheer curiosity, I would love to know what will it do top speed, 1/4 mile etc? I'm guessing it would DEVASTATE a 2013 GT500....if so, I think I found my answer, and can you register them on the road?

whiplash306

Established Member
kevinatfms said:
i am taking the AA driving experience coming up in September. I cant wait. maybe someday i will get the opportunity to own something like one, but for now a day flogging one around VIR is good enough for me :)
I can GUARANTEE you that you have NEVER had as much fun driving another vehicle as you're fixing to have when you take the Ariel Atom Experience! I did it about 3 years ago and have been RUINED to most any other car since! If you can, and this is REAL important (ha), stress to the instructors that you'd like one of their professional driver's to take you around the track.....!!!! It'll be all high pitched girly screaming and nipple twisting the entire time!!!! Bring a change of shorts! ENJOY!

OP, if you can swing the cash, buy the Atom! Yes, they can be registered and licensed specifically for road usage, but you have to be sure the specific Atom you are purchasing has all the equipment mandated for road usage in your state. If it doesn't, it can all be purchased and added, but that will slightly delay the enjoyment of your car. Typically, it'll be MUCH easier on you to buy one that has already been registered either in your state or another rather than buying one that is unregistered and having to go through the nightmarish application process. (been there and tried that)

Any Atom in the hands of a good/experienced driver will sprint to 60 in under 3 seconds.... I've seen quarter times listed in the high-10s to mid-11s, again, dependent on driver ability. ....and the handling ability and characteristics are downright SCARY! There is NOTHING in the performance realm that the new GT500 will be able to do better, box stock, than the Atom except out top end it.....

whiplash306

Established Member
what kind of pricing range for atom and pricing options? they seem to be huge in range. I've heard from 50s to 150k

Since you're "north of dallas", you're right close to one of the VERY FEW Atom dealers in the United States. Ariel Atom Go check 'em out. They're in Wichita Falls, TX and the owner is Eddie Hill - one of THE NICEST and most forth coming guys you'll ever want to meet. He LOVES to talk Atoms and will spend an hour or more on the phone with you if you'd like! Give him a call, talk prices and schedule a ride/drive with him!

truefiveo

Established Member
Damn I can't see myself forking out that type of money for a toy right now.
Highest Ill go is $40k.

That sucks because the Atom looks like the best bare bones open road experience for me would be awesome to have one of those here on South Beach.

AC Cobras are awesome but I don't want to be behind a hot bulky engine, I want something sleeker much more quiet and efficient like the atom.

I can't believe there's no american company who makes a cheaper pretty much identical chassis type???

Holy crap had no idea there were street legal Indy cars also.

Who needs a Ferarri or Lambo if ya got one of those!!

Hopefully either someone makes a similar but cheaper chassis soon or a couple years from now those Atoms reach the $40k range.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
Since you're "north of dallas", you're right close to one of the VERY FEW Atom dealers in the United States. Ariel Atom Go check 'em out. They're in Wichita Falls, TX and the owner is Eddie Hill - one of THE NICEST and most forth coming guys you'll ever want to meet. He LOVES to talk Atoms and will spend an hour or more on the phone with you if you'd like! Give him a call, talk prices and schedule a ride/drive with him!

yeah, I'm not far from them. I called them about 2 hours ago. waiting for a call back. maybe he will give me a ride in one. hell, maybe he has or knows of a used one I can spend my money on just so I can not quite break the bank if it's not quite what I'm looking for. :shrug:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Damn I can't see myself forking out that type of money for a toy right now.
Highest Ill go is $40k.

That sucks because the Atom looks like the best bare bones open road experience for me would be awesome to have one of those here on South Beach.

AC Cobras are awesome but I don't want to be behind a hot bulky engine, I want something sleeker much more quiet and efficient like the atom.

I can't believe there's no american company who makes a cheaper pretty much identical chassis type???

Holy crap had no idea there were street legal Indy cars also.

Who needs a Ferarri or Lambo if ya got one of those!!

Hopefully either someone makes a similar but cheaper chassis soon or a couple years from now those Atoms reach the $40k range.

Lotus 2-11, but I'm not sure you can register them for the street. Probably over your budget too...

Lotus_2-Eleven_full.jpg

I'd go Lotus Exige. They are like a gokart on the road. I think I was eye level with the rear bumper with an Expedition in the thing. You can take the roof out for an open top experience. Check out the classifieds on www.lotustalk.com and you can grab a used one with low miles for $40k easy.

IMG_5934_Sm.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lotus 2-11, but I'm not sure you can register them for the street. Probably over your budget too...

Lotus_2-Eleven_full.jpg

I'd go Lotus Exige. They are like a gokart on the road. I think I was eye level with the rear bumper with an Expedition in the thing. You can take the roof out for an open top experience. Check out the classifieds on Lotus Forum - Lotus Talk and you can grab a used one with low miles for $40k easy.

IMG_5934_Sm.jpg

Those are nice as well. I have seen a couple locally. They won't match the performance of the Ariel Atom, but they're definitely cool. And a lot cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread