Operation "save a terminator" is a go

arc00ta

Established Member
I figured I would post some pictures of the new Cobra, and hopefully I will be able to update this soon as things change. I picked this up from a local dealer who got it from auction, it came from a ford dealer where the original owner (and moron) traded it in for a GT500. After looking at it and finding many obvious things wrong with it, I haggled them down to a really good price, considering most of it was easy fixes that they didn't have the knowledge to do. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people on this forum would have not given this car a second look, but for the price I paid I can have a car in the color I want with a built motor and KB on top compared to the price of a squeaky clean one.

The biggest thing the dealer did which really threw them for a loop was putting a stock belt on a pullied car, of course it made a horrible squealing noise and would get out of its way about as quick as a school bus. One of the guys there told me he thought the motor was about to go. $63 later and it purrs like a kitten. No ticks, knocks, rattles, nothing (save for a TOB that makes some noise when cold).

Heres a few quick snaps of the car:
DSC01522.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

And the ghetto rims with rattle can black over the chrome:
DSC01523.jpg

DSC01525.jpg

So far, I have done a few things while deciding what direction I want to go with the car.

- Changed the plugs and discovered NGK's that were gapped to .064 :eek:
- All fluids
- Replaced belts
- Traded in a cut shift lever for an MGW adjustable

And the crown jewel was the exhaust. I wish I had pictures of what came off of the car. It was so horrible, I've never seen anything like it. A home-made x-pipe with 4 randomly selected cats on it, with welds done up by a monkey. Most of those were cracking, and the pipe diameter was approximately 2 inches. I say approximately, because it was oval shaped most of the way, and so flimsy I could bend it with my hands. This followed by a pair of flowmasters, followed by the stock mufflers, followed by bassani tail pipes and tips. I threw on a magnaflow catted X and SLP LM2, and now I can actually hear the car running :beer:

I've added the JLT CAI, and the car already has a built Tranzilla T56, which I find ironic considering the half-assedness of many of the other parts of the car. I called Rockland Standard and verified it was built in May 2010. Too bad he cheaped out with a 10 spline input shaft so he could still use the stock clutch :fm:

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm starting the adventure of stripping the paint off the wheels right now. I'm half expect to get flamed for not buying the "OMG super clean 5k original mile Terminator that has every service record and was maintained by Jesus himself", but someones gotta pick up the clunkers and make them worth driving again. Let me know what you guys think, and some suggestions for what wheels go well with yellow.

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Hell yeah man, maybe you can fix it up, sell it, and make a little coin. Or just keep it. Nice find!

KILRSVT

Established Member
Sweet I would pass it up just cuz I don't like yellow! Lol but cool project I need to save my own terminator

arc00ta

Established Member
Sweet I would pass it up just cuz I don't like yellow! Lol but cool project I need to save my own terminator

It will be a different color eventually. I move in january up to LA, and then I will be pulling the motor to get built and getting the car painted. I can't decide what color yet, I'm leaning towards some kind of orange.

arc00ta

Established Member
Here we go after a few hours with the pressure washer. Chrome is not my thing, but they look better than the "dirty" black it was before. And theres no curb rash at all! These wheels are mint. I bet they will sell quick on craigslist.

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

matt87

Established Member
can you share what you consider a smoking deal with us? it would have to be real good...like sub 14 k for me to buy a hacked cobra in the worst color ever put on a cobra. did you say up top it has a built motor with a kb on top? looks like an eaton to me, otherwise i hope it runs good for you and it seems to be in much better hands now.

Last edited:

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Good idea, I would craigslist those wheels then pick up some stockers in the Market section on here.

Kannif

I'm that guy!
Established Member
Being a ZY 03 owner my heart is hurt, but I am sub'n to this thread to see how out turns out.

d4a3m2o1n

Banned
can you share what you consider a smoking deal with us? it would have to be real good...like sub 14 k for me to buy a hacked cobra in the worst color ever put on a cobra. did you say up top it has a built motor with a kb on top? looks like an eaton to me, otherwise i hope it runs good for you and it seems to be in much better hands now.

lol he didn't say he has a built motor and KB he said he can build the motor and put a KB on it with the money he saved from not getting a pristine one..

at least thats what i thought :shrug:

nice car man, thank god someone like you picked her up and saved her! Can you share the price/mileage with us?

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Good find if you got it for less than 13K. I paid 15K for my cobra in my sig, its super clean with nice mods with 60K miles. Dont listen to the haters my first 03 was screaming yellow and I loved it.

CobraBoatDan

Water Snake
Established Member
I remember someone posting the other day about seeing cobra emblems pointing backwards. I had never seen it before but It looks like the passenger side one on yours does.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Good shit man, IMO its always alot more fun to fix/build your car yourself. I fixed my car from pretty beat down to IMO a pretty clean cobra (when its washed) lol. Cut those springs and put some wheels on it!

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I wonder how the previous owner will hack up his new gt500. Some people have such poor taste it amazes me...good job saving this one though.

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
ya i see now what he meant. still something about zinc yellow.....like its washed out screaming yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread