Opinions before buying

Jtaugner

Established Member
Been toying with the idea of buying a 03/04 Cobra as a 3rd vehicle, and came across this one that's semi local (1.5 hr drive).

Would like to know what ya'll think, I think the price is high, but given the market today, I'm not surprised. Not a fan of the wheels, but that's easily changeable.

Dealers Link: Link
YouTube Walk Around: Link

Ke1130

Established Member
I’d say a bit overpriced for sure. Plus a 4 pt roll cage and 10 owners I’d say hard pass but that’s just my opinion.

Jtaugner

Established Member
I’d say a bit overpriced for sure. Plus a 4 pt roll cage and 10 owners I’d say hard pass but that’s just my opinion.
The 10 owners threw me as well, trying to follow it, it looks like dealerships bought it, but never sold the vehicle?

Owner 5 owned the car for less than 2 months? Owner 8-9 looks odd as well.. I dunno.

Ke1130

Established Member
The 10 owners threw me as well, trying to follow it, it looks like dealerships bought it, but never sold the vehicle?

Owner 5 owned the car for less than 2 months? Owner 8-9 looks odd as well.. I dunno.
Yeah maybe one of the resident dealers will inform us I’m not positive but I believe some states require dealers to take ownership but not sure. Either way I just try to avoid lots of owners because everyone makes it their own with roll cages ect. A couple redfires sold in December on BAT for just slightly more with much lower miles so if you’re patient and not in a rush I think you can find a better deal.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’ve purchased a car from them. My current 2013 GT500. They’re a decent dealership I’d say. 3 person show. I have the salesman’s phone number if you’d like. I don’t approve for the rollcage, number of owners is here nor there. These cars get passed around like hookers. Especially since they’re 19 years old or so. That also have an OW, and SB. However the SB is wrapped another color, and they don’t want to remove the wrap to show the true paint on the SB.

Jtaugner

Established Member
I’ve purchased a car from them. My current 2013 GT500. They’re a decent dealership I’d say. 3 person show. I have the salesman’s phone number if you’d like. I don’t approve for the rollcage, number of owners is here nor there. These cars get passed around like hookers. Especially since they’re 19 years old or so. That also have an OW, and SB. However the SB is wrapped another color, and they don’t want to remove the wrap to show the true paint on the SB.
The OW Cobra seems to have a bit less mods, but almost double the mileage. I do love white, but Redfire seems to pop a bit more. I've been talking to them via text, Matt said he has a Redfire Cobra personally.

Good to hear you at least had a somewhat positive experience.

I was really looking for a 13/14 GT500, but at $55-60k for one in decent shape and low miles.. My bank account doesn't want to take that big of a hit.

LS WUT

Established Member
Yes, Matt does have one. We talked a bit about it. He’s the sales manager. I had an 04 Redfire too. Love the color, I love my Oxford White too. He made an offer on mine when I bought my GT500. He offered $23k for mine with 19k miles, we both had a good laugh. I’d still say pass though bud.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Everything already said. Personally redfire looks nice when it's very clean and waxed to look wet, but I'd place it lower than white or blue, personally... but that is just preference.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just looked at the price...yeah I would pass taking everything into account. Be patient and you will find better deal. Hell I sold my 04 with a 2.2KB and brand new FR Long Block for 20K like 8 years ago.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Price is not unreasonable at all in today's market. So that wouldn't deter me. But....the roll cage and extensive mods (equals likely track time) would make me pause and really consider passing on it. Redfire is a great paint color. If you're looking to drive it frequently on weekends and occasionally during the week, you might want to hold out for a lower mileage Terminator, but be prepared to pay a higher price, of course. If Redfire isn't absolutely one of your favorite colors, that would be another reason to move on.

I highly recommend that you put together your dream Terminator and focus on finding someone close to that.
* Paint color
* Degree of mods (do you prefer near stock or do you want it already modded)
* Mileage
* Number of previous owners
* Condition of paint and interior
* Factory or aftermarket wheels

Speaking of previous owners, ten is not necessarily a bad thing. My old '03 Cobra is a case in point. It just sold AGAIN a week ago to a guy in TN and I believe he is like the 9th owner. The car is still in stellar condition and apparently all of the previous owners took really nice car of it. This is not always the case with multiple owners, of course.

DCguy

Established Member
That's a nice looking car (from the two photos they posted) and totally in line with prices today given the mileage. A really clean car like that would be mid to high 20's from a private owner so from a dealer low 30's make sense IF the paint is nice on close inspection, IF the underside is maintained and not scraped up/pinch welds aren't destroyed etc, IF the motor is healthy, what color the interior is etc.

A 4pt rollbar is more of a street cage and is likely bolted in not welded so you can always remove it - I wouldn't worry about that car seeing much track time.....especially if it has a full interior.

I agree about the ownership history not being too much of an issue. However, at $32k for an eaton car, dealer pricing is high compared to what you can get in the third party market like on FB etc.....at that price range you'll likely get an aftermarket blower as well. That being said, 10 owners is 10 people rowing gears and 10 different driving styles and ownership styles. One guy may have let the car sit in his garage for 10 months out of the year and the next guy may be taking it out every weekend and doing rolling burnouts......take a look at the rear bumper behind the wheel on the second photo. That's certainly indicative of what one of those owners might have been up to.

My advice to anyone buying one of these cars:
-Bring a friend to look at it....2nd set of eyes is invaluable
-Drive it...make sure to cold start it...if the car is already warm thats no good.
-Get it on a lift and go through it...the underside of a car will tell you way more than the exterior will.
-Spend the money and get a compression/leak down test done. This one is the most important. Check the plugs, bore scope the motor, etc.
-Verify the tune on the car and how recent it is. If the tune is 8 years old and the car has been through 5 owners since, for me personally, that would be a bit of a red flag.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Been toying with the idea of buying a 03/04 Cobra as a 3rd vehicle, and came across this one that's semi local (1.5 hr drive).

Would like to know what ya'll think, I think the price is high, but given the market today, I'm not surprised. Not a fan of the wheels, but that's easily changeable.

Dealers Link: Link
YouTube Walk Around: Link

I have found the best cars I have ever owned are unfortunately never within a short driving distance.

I would pass on that one but thats just me.

A dream and excitement can quickly turn into a nightmare and a money pit forever leaving a bad taste in your mouth. You alleviate this by eliminating as many as unknowns as possible before conducting a transaction.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They're light on the pics with all their Mustang ads. Black '03 with 120k only has 1 pic? The white Terminator doesn't seem too bad other than what looks like a possible engine light.

Users who are viewing this thread