Painting Eaton Blower

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
Hey guys. I wanted to try and buy an extra stock Eaton blower. I wanted to have it shipped out to Steigy for a port and when installed on the car I wanted it to match the wrinkle finish black valve covers that im getting for the car from KarKraft.

I wanted to know a few things, if you guys could help me here:

1) Where can i get some good black wrinkle finish paint to paint the blower with?
2) Does it have to be a special heat resistant paint you think? that blower is going to get pretty hot...
3) Should I paint the blower BEFORE or AFTER i get it back from stiegy?
4) Have any of you guys painted your eatons before?

I'm not a good painter at all, so any and all help would be appreciated :beer:

I suppose that if that wrinkle finish paint wouldn't look good on the blower, i'd go with some kind of regular or gloss black that you see on the Whipple blowers. Or are those whipple black blowers also in that black wrinkle finish?

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
I recently did it on my old stg4 port eaton before I installed it on a friends car. I have a couple pics of it Un installed. They dont look the best though. I will post them when I get home. I will take some pics of it under hood the next time that I see my friend (it looks very good).

I still have the can of paint, so I can give you the brand and part NO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would do the painting when you get the blower back from Stiegemeier. Why risk it getting scratched. Quite a few people here have painted their blowers. Some have done black flat. Some black wrinkle. Even gloss black. Just be sure to prep the blower surface for the paint. The result will look really nice. You might consider leaving the lettering on the blower polished or silver. Some have done even red (with red engine bay).

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
does anyone have a good 'how to' for painting the blower. I'm not a very good painter, and im not sure how good my 'prep' work for painting will be lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Texturing the paint as done in the link above isn't an easy job for the novice. Although the finished product gets an A+. I would either buy wrinkle finish paint or have the blower painted by someone who can do it right for you. I didn't know that Stiegemeier painted blowers. Definitely an option you should look into if he can do a black wrinkle finish for you.

Matt, can you post a pic of yours here?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Actually even matching the color (black) of the valve covers might work just fine, especially if you can't match the covers exactly. But if you absolutely want a wrinkle finish, I would think Bob could get the paint for you. The most important part is removing the stock coating.

Tractionless1, that blower came out really nice. It matches your covers perfectly.

03sm3341

Established Member
I've used it before on 426 hemi valve covers a couple years ago I beleave it was made by VHT? You might look at eastwood's web site i'm sure they sell it. I picked mine up at a speed shop here in town so you might check there if you have one close by. On preping of the blower get some acetone and a scotch bright pad. Take ur pad and sand the blower make sure to get in all the hard to reach places. Sand it until it has a dull finish all over that ensures that ur new paint will have a little "tooth" to stick to. Once the blowers sanded wipe or blow away the dust then wipe down with acetone. Then mask off where it bolts up to anything ie manifold,TB. Take care not to touch it to much because your hands could leave oil behind and cause the paint not to stick. No you should be ready to paint. Remember lots of light coats is better than one heavy coat. Now that it's painted and dry to get your letters silver get some finer sand paper like 400 or so and a popcicle stick wrap the stick with the paper and sand the ford and the SVT taking care only the sand the raised areas. Once the blacks off get a silver paint marker from a hobby store and just mark ur letters. Thats how I would do it. You should be able to have it looking great in a few hours. Post poics of the final product when you get it done

zonk22

Established Member
I cleaned it entirely with PPG shopline jx101 wax and grease remover($17 per gal but you wont need that much). Its good to have around to clean tar or burn out rubber off paint on you car. Then I scuffed all surfaces to be painted with a grey scotch brite 3M #7448 ($1)until shine is gone off powder coat. I then cleaned it again with jx101. Then I used American Tape PG 3/4 and 1 1/2 masking tape and about($3.50 and $5.00) and about 10 razor blades to mask it off. After masking off all non painted surfaces, I used jx101 again for final cleaning. Now your ready to paint. I chose to use SEM Hot Rod Black($70 per quart kit) because of its durability. On a gravity feed automotive paint gun if start turning down the air pressure(almost off) you will start to get a splatter effect. Practice on paper alot before you start on you eaton. It helps if paint is a little thicker. You will start buy putting texture on all surfaces. This will not cover it in black but speckle it. Buy allowing more fluid flow you can achieve larger speckles. Allow this paint to dry for 3 hours. After paint is completely dry you can paint two medium wet coats 10 mins apart. Bolts are another story for later when i have more time to type(I'm slow).

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Anothor way to do it is to havee a businness card and hold it in fronte of the streem and the phaint will richoshay off the carde onto the objecte causing a splater, that"s how air brusheres do it atleast.

wtf speal chake?

zonk22

Established Member
an airbrush artist has to do it that way because he has no other option. With a gravity fed spray gun you dont have to work so hard

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I did mine about a year or so ago with just a rattle can, it was high temp satin black actually. I used some light sandpaper to scuff the paint on the blower and alcohol to clean anything off the surface. I then taped off every surface I didn't want to paint and started spraying the blower in light coats. After 5-6 light coats it looked great and I began removing all the tape so I could sand down the letters. I used 400 grit, then 600, 800, 1000, and finally 1500 grit to polish all the ford and SVT logos on the blower.

196628.jpg

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
I did mine about a year or so ago with just a rattle can, it was high temp satin black actually. I used some light sandpaper to scuff the paint on the blower and alcohol to clean anything off the surface. I then taped off every surface I didn't want to paint and started spraying the blower in light coats. After 5-6 light coats it looked great and I began removing all the tape so I could sand down the letters. I used 400 grit, then 600, 800, 1000, and finally 1500 grit to polish all the ford and SVT logos on the blower.

196628.jpg

did you remove ALL of the paint and coating off the factory blower before you rattle canned it? or did you just scuff it and paint over the stock paint??

Users who are viewing this thread