PATS Issue - Car Won't Stay Cranked

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Takes 3 things to match , for the pats to let the car start.

Key chip , same as the collar on the ignition (trsnsponder) , and the computer , to recognize the other 2 .
I have never had pats let the car start , then kill it.
Not saying it cant or wont , i just have not had that happen.
If the rail is empty when the car dies , i would still look for a fuel problem .

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Takes 3 things to match , for the pats to let the car start.

Key chip , same as the collar on the ignition (trsnsponder) , and the computer , to recognize the other 2 .
I have never had pats let the car start , then kill it.
Not saying it cant or wont , i just have not had that happen.
If the rail is empty when the car dies , i would still look for a fuel problem .

Ok I'll be sure to keep that in mind...i was feeling more confident in the pats issue bc of the u1461 cel code

98SVTContour98

Established Member
What was the issue

Sent from my LG-H900 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

currently still unsolved.

replaced the PATS module and programmed a 2nd key...still no progress...thinking the entire PCM went out now since we can't communicate with it at all...so ordered a reman unit and just waiting on it to come in.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
currently still unsolved.

replaced the PATS module and programmed a 2nd key...still no progress...thinking the entire PCM went out now since we can't communicate with it at all...so ordered a reman unit and just waiting on it to come in.
That's what I was saying a couple weeks ago. Is it an AOL4 PCM?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Glad you got that sorted and reported back. Hopefully this helps people with this issue in the future.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
well guys, the issues continue!

the first PCM sent from NAPA got the car running...running terribly tho so we thought maybe the car had to be re-flashed at Ford with the stock tune....Ford comes back and says the PCM is for an AUto 2v Thunderbird...good grief...so we order another pcm...doesn't work....a 3rd pcm...still can't communicate with it...a 4th, Ford (yes the car is now at a dealership) still can't communicate with it....Ford saying they are going to try a different guy who they never have issues with when replacing a PCM....so just waiting now on a PCM to come in hopefully next week.

On a side note, my buddy who replaces the PATS Module is saying the issue could be inside the Cluster and NOT the PCM...since the Key as to relay through the cluster and then to the PCM, the issue could be inside the Cluster....so that's my next lead if this 5th PCM still won't communicate.

UGH

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What is the 4 digit code on the PCM? You should see something like "AOL3". My 98 is AOL3. The 98s had a unique tune when compared to the 96/7s.
Go on eBay and buy an OEM used PCM Tha matches your code. I had to do it years ago and it worked like a charm after flashing it for the PATS.

Here's one for $185 (if it matches your code).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282766616607

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I may have a solution but expensive solution. Buy a pcm matching your code and buy a Diablo chip and have pats turned off?

Sent from my LG-H900 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

we have tried this, but for some reason the PCMs arent communicating...so we are making one last attempt to get a PCM from a different source other than NAPA. If this doesn't work, then we will attempt to look inside the cluster for issues.

Users who are viewing this thread