PATS Issue - Car Won't Stay Cranked

98SVTContour98

Established Member
What color is the fuel pump turn-on wire that runs from the computer to the pump?

Haven't figured it out yet...no replacement PCM is working, seems like the PATS system is still locking us out of communicating with it.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Have you replaced the ring in the steering column?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yes

Bringing the car to a new shop this week I think, he thinks the cluster is somehow fried...he's saying the the key goes to the ring, from ring to the cluster, from cluster to PCM.

My buddy has the car at the moment and he's the one asking about the wiring b/c he's going to try to re-route power to the fuel pump to try to bypass the PATS.

jgt58

Established Member
Yes

Bringing the car to a new shop this week I think, he thinks the cluster is somehow fried...he's saying the the key goes to the ring, from ring to the cluster, from cluster to PCM.

My buddy has the car at the moment and he's the one asking about the wiring b/c he's going to try to re-route power to the fuel pump to try to bypass the PATS.
Just fyi your cluster is coded to the pcm. If they don't match car won't start

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Yes

If you have s tuner, disable it in the tune. If you find a physical way to bypass PATS, please PM me the how to.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
If you have s tuner, disable it in the tune. If you find a physical way to bypass PATS, please PM me the how to.

we can't get the old pcm or new replacement pcms to communicate with the tuners or Ford Laptops....we trying to re-route the fuel pump power wire in the hopes we slip past PATS, which is currently shutting the car down after it cranks.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Did you change the dash/gauge cluster?

I don't think PATS does anything except shut off the fuel pump. You should be able to require it unless it also cuts spark.

Don't forget to check the fuel pump relay, crash sensor, or whatever it is called in the trunk.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Did you change the dash/gauge cluster?

I don't think PATS does anything except shut off the fuel pump. You should be able to require it unless it also cuts spark.

Don't forget to check the fuel pump relay, crash sensor, or whatever it is called in the trunk.

i did not change the cluster/dash, but i guess that's our next rabbit hole.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Are you getting spark? Is the fuel pump feeding the fuel rail? If so, what is the PSI of the fuel? If the fuel pump is shutting down, is it doing so at the same time interval?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'm going to say you have a bad diode in the key, or a failing PATS receiver. It could be the ECU, but to know for sure would require testing.

Do you have access to a tuner? Are you using a tuner that offers lifetime tunes? If so, have the car tuned with PATS disabled and see how the car reacts?

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I'm going to say you have a bad diode in the key, or a failing PATS receiver. It could be the ECU, but to know for sure would require testing.

Do you have access to a tuner? Are you using a tuner that offers lifetime tunes? If so, have the car tuned with PATS disabled and see how the car reacts?

pretty sure we've replaced the keys entirely and the PATS receiver....and no tuner, not even at a Ford dealership, will communicate with the last 5 ECUs I've purchased.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'm not even sure where to tell you begin now without ripping all of the electronics out of the car and testing every little part.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I'm not even sure where to tell you begin now without ripping all of the electronics out of the car and testing every little part.

i know...i think we are going to try to re-route the power from the fuel pump to bypass PATS...if that doesn't work (it's a long shot), then the next rabbit hole is the cluster i think b/c the anti-theft light isn't flashing at us (and we think it should be).

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Yes, the theft light should be flashing. My PATS is disabled, and the theft light still flashes.

If you find a way to bypass PATS without a tune, please let me know. Even though my tune has the PATS off, I still do not trust it.

I also want to add a true push button start feature. PATS will not allow this.

Users who are viewing this thread