Paxton Novi 2200 install 2014 MT82 base GT

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Santa (the UPS man) finally started dropping gifts this week. The bulk of it seems to be here now, but still waiting on a few items like injectors, BAP, and some odds and ends. This will all be going on a 2014 m6 base brembo GT you see below.

Background: I was bit by the drag racing bug about 18 years ago when my now wife bought a turbo 1990 Mitsubishi eclipse as a college commuter. Some quick reading about this vehicle had me quickly buying $500 worth of go fast parts only to realize I had added to the factory horsepower number by about 70%. I was hooked and continued to play with those cars for years and years going as fast as 128 mph in the quarter. While not nearly as fast as many of the cars on this board, 128 mph is enough to demolish 99% of the cars on the road today and I've been addicted ever since.

The DSMs were fast (by now ive owned 4 or 5 of them), but none of mine were ever nice. Enter last March and the 2014 GT we have here. Bought brand new for $27k. This is the nicest car with over 400 hp ive ever had and cutting it up (even scratching it) scares the shit out of me. Today she has about 4500 miles and it is now time to get a little more serious about horsepower.

Coming from big turbo land--there are some things NOT to like.

-Off boost power is non-existent. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being truthful--that said, when boost does come on IT KICKS YOU IN YOUR ASS.
-Some brands have quality control issues. PTE (who everyone loves on this site) is WELL documented as having major thrust bearing issues on their journal bearing turbos a few years back. http://turbolabofamerica.com/precision-turbo-thrust-bearing-failures/
-Heat. Exhaust driven.. self explanatory.
-Involved installs. A turbo kit install on a factory NON turbo vehicle is an involved process which takes commitment and understanding with regards to how the vehicle is being transformed. You will need FAB skills for some parts of the install and if you don't have them find someone who does.
-drivability if your tune is off. This isn't specific to turbos, but drivability issues can ruin the experience you are trying to achieve by boosting you NA vehicle. Why spend $10k to boost your mustang if it bucks, stalls, and surges the whole 5 mile trip from your house to Chevron?

Goals for my car:

-Keep stock block (fingers crossed)
-Keep stock MT82 trans
-Keep stock 3.73 gears
-10.5@135 mph or better
-Cut it up as LITTLE as possible (this is important to me)

Which brings me to my decision to go Paxton.

-This is obviously a well thought out kit and has what is likely 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars invested in the R/D of it's design for THIS SPECIFIC VEHICLE.
-I wont have 1400 degree exhaust parts within 1/2 inch of my cooling system and/or hood of my car.
-Install is much less involved.
-The most efficient of the blower offerings (roots, screw, etc).
-PRICE! Coming from DSMs I am a cheap ass...Plain and simple. I also have several other expensive hobbies (dune buggies, off roading, guns) so blowing $8-10k on boost doesn't make a lot of sense to me when I can get the same 135-140mph trap speed for $6k all in.....easy $2-4k savings.
-No leaking oil (enjoy your turbo drain tubes :))

Again.... this isn't a debate thread because I love turbos and always will. I understand them as well as anyone and theoretically there is simply not a better, more efficient power adder for those building a max effort drag machine. If someone wants more than 850 whp in their Coyote mustang then I think your are wasting money if you don't choose turbo. Period.

That said...I don't want 850 whp (at least now I don't) so turbo isn't a fit.

As I get this installed and tuned, i'll post up unbiased impressions. Looking very forward to getting this turd going!

IMG_3431_zpsffe39c4a.jpg

IMG_3651_zpsc0a61c9e.jpg

Traction!

IMG_3650_zps4cdf23fd.jpg

IMG_3654_zps6d37f01f.jpg

IMG_3646_zpsd789253e.jpg

IMG_3657_zpsc462868b.jpg

Because im a sucker for some Alcantara

IMG_3652_zps4cf80308.jpg

Because they're cheap and wide enough for sticky Nittos. I actually LOVE the Brembos but at 9" I had basically 0 choices in a DR. With 3.73s, the NT05r's likely will still not be enough tire at the strip; in which case i'll buy some bigs/littles. But the Nitto's should fix any traction issues that pop up on any weekend cruising fun.

IMG_3655_zps09d864c2.jpg

More to come ...

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
You'll be happy with your planned set up. You might want to consider installing Beef Cake Trq booster kit on the initial build. I'll be installing his kit this spring. Keep us posted.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Ahh I remember that feeling when all the packages started showing up. Fun!
I see one of your goals is to cut up as little as possible..... Not sure what your definition of little is but I think these kits involve the most hacking up of your oem parts out of any of the blower offerings. Wasn't a big deal for me but I have no plans of ever returning the car back to stock.

I know most the experienced turbo guys on here will disagree with most of your negative turbo qualities (as it relates this platform at least). But like you said this isn't a debate.

Let us know if you have any install questions, there are a lot of Paxton/vortech cars on here.

cjd223

Established Member
Have fun with your project. I will be ordering a Paxton tuner kit from Beef soon for my '12 A6 Premium. I am going the 18" rear tire route as AM has wheels that are almost identical to the stock wheels. Lots more tire choices in 18". I lived with "turbo lag" in my '87 Buick T-Type for years. You are correct in your assessment. Until someone comes up with a small/big turbo arrangement there will always be lag.
When superchargers first started appearing on Mustangs in the late '80s I wondered why not over boost the supercharger and use a waste gate to control the boost level through the rpm range. Should have patented that idea. That is exactly what the torque kit from Beef does.
Now if I can just get the rear end fixed I will be a happy camper. Car has been in and out of the dealership for over 4 weeks. The Ford Engineer Rep will be looking at it next week. So far two r&p, two carriers, differential housing and a drive shaft have not cured the problem.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
looking good.

you have to cut some hoses and trim the fan, not really a big deal, 13 and 14 have no bumper trimming either

CPRsm

I know most the experienced turbo guys on here will disagree with most of your negative turbo qualities (as it relates this platform at least). But like you said this isn't a debate.
Yeah they would. DSM and GN guy talking about lag,... Your opinion has to be admittedly, at least a little outdated. The car and turbo kits you're referring to are technology not even made in THIS century!! Damn I'm getting old, I remember when this Sypders came out lol. I'll check in w ya when the ground warms up. Hitting the track yes? I have to make the trip up your way.

cjd223

Established Member
Yeah they would. DSM and GN guy talking about lag,... Your opinion has to be admittedly, at least a little outdated. The car and turbo kits you're referring to are technology not even made in THIS century!! Damn I'm getting old, I remember when this Sypders came out lol. I'll check in w ya when the ground warms up. Hitting the track yes? I have to make the trip up your way.
Old!!!!! You don't know what old is you young whipper snapper. lol. I am from the original muscle car era. '60s and '70s. Back then we drove manly cars - 427-454 Chevelles. Not these little wimpy 5.0 Mustangs. OTOH these 5.0s are faster.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I read the entire instruction manual before making my decision and did notice the hacking up of the coolant hose and fan shroud.

Being that the car is nice looking I was more concerned with cutting up the front bumper/facia and having a "floppy in the wind" front end afterwards.

Like I said... I love turbos and always will... But as of today the offerings for this car do not fit my wants/needs. If they did-- I would have gone that route.

Not to mention they are overpriced--very much overpriced. I'm not willing to pay $2000+ for you to weld sections of stainless bends together that sell for $16 each on Summit. ....If I had more money..... maybe :)

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
since you've already decided on a paxton: you're going to want a torque booster set up, a 3.33 pulley, and some E85 (if you can get it).

the stock set up is fun, till you run someone that has torque.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
OP, any questions or concerns on the install shoot me a PM and ill give you my number. Ive helped 25+ people on this install on here. Would be more then happy to walk you through anything needed.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
since you've already decided on a paxton: you're going to want a torque booster set up, a 3.33 pulley, and some E85 (if you can get it).

Agree 100%... e85 is 10 miles away from me so that is absolutely long term plan... maybe short term actually. I already have a v-band tial from old turbo days so i just need to see if Beef will sell me a welded up elbow and the 3.33.

G/L with your setup BTW... if i ever go turbo it will likely be the route you took. My breif interatactions with Danny led me to believe he's a stand up guy....You must be extremely excited.

OP, any questions or concerns on the install shoot me a PM and ill give you my number. Ive helped 25+ people on this install on here. Would be more then happy to walk you through anything needed.

Duly noted and thanks a ton. I shouldnt have to bother you as ive gained some half way decent fab skills by now thanks to my old DSM days.

Cant wait to get this beast going!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
looking good.

you have to cut some hoses and trim the fan, not really a big deal, 13 and 14 have no bumper trimming either

You have been a huge help and thank you. FWIW, your competition was stiff! I shopped for no less than 3 months and wore out at least 15+ vendors (turbo vendors, blower vendors, both local and accross the country) with never ending questions.

It all came down to Paxton and to you.

Thanks again

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
Agree 100%... e85 is 10 miles away from me so that is absolutely long term plan... maybe short term actually. I already have a v-band tial from old turbo days so i just need to see if Beef will sell me a welded up elbow and the 3.33.

G/L with your setup BTW... if i ever go turbo it will likely be the route you took. My breif interatactions with Danny led me to believe he's a stand up guy....You must be extremely excited.

Thanks! looking forward to it. I'll keep my thread updated for those who'd like to see it.

lshin037

Established Member
Subbed for reference. My Vortech is arriving on Monday. I got the Track Pack as well and anticipating some rage while installing.

nowwhat

Established Member
since you've already decided on a paxton:

Wake, are you speaking of a turbo or tvs car and from personal experience? Just curious because many say that it's a driver's race between a tvs and Paxton car at stock boost levels.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Wake, are you speaking of a turbo or tvs car and from personal experience? Just curious because many say that it's a driver's race between a tvs and Paxton car at stock boost levels.

I think he was talking about torque with regards to how the torque booster package changes the way a Paxton/vortech car feels.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Initial tear down

I got about 1.5 hours tonight to tinker. I got the initial tear down done and my next step in the manual is modifying the radiator hose.

Started here:

IMG_3669_zps5107511d.jpg

Ended here:

IMG_3675_zps36f3eca0.jpg

IMG_3678_zpsd9e9701c.jpg

Take extra caution when removing this part of the harness from the passenger side head. Ive read lots of people yank too hard and break off the plastic retainer inside of the threaded boss. They then spend an hour digging it out trying to not gall up the threads because they are going to be used for bracket mounting later.

IMG_3677_zpsfee3a110.jpg

Last edited:

nicksender

Established Member
Good luck with the install.

I would consider oil pump gears at some point considering you are talking about going beyond just the basic kit. Relatively cheap insurance if you don't have plans for a stronger motor.

Famine

Established Member
I got about 1.5 hours tonight to tinker. I got the initial tear down done and my next step in the manual is modifying the radiator hose.

Started here:

IMG_3669_zps5107511d.jpg

Ended here:

IMG_3675_zps36f3eca0.jpg

IMG_3678_zpsd9e9701c.jpg

Take extra caution when removing this part of the harness from the passenger side head. Ive read lots of people yank too hard and break off the plastic retainer inside of the threaded boss. They then spend an hour digging it out trying to not gall up the threads because they are going to be used for bracket mounting later.

IMG_3677_zpsfee3a110.jpg

How did you get it off without pulling too hard? Seems like it would be easy to break. Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread