Pickup Test: Heavy Duty vs Heavy Duty

Jroc

Established Member
That's kinda my point. At that point it seems ford isn't trusting in it's powerstrokes capabilities. And the highest power rated cummins in the F650/750 makes less HP that the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Are they putting Ram 3500 Cummins in F650/750 sized trucks?

Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Caterpillar all make engines for semi-trucks. Powerstrokes, and Duramaxes are not found in semi-trucks, and bigger trucks in that size class.

nitrobullitt

Established Member
Ive had a fair share of ford diesel's 2005 f-450,a 2006 f-550 and a 2008 f-550. All company lease plan work trucks we keep them till 140000 miles then trade them in, we have a fleet of them and all of them have had so many problems.We are always taking them back to ford dealerships to fix. The 08 imo was alot better than previous years but I took it to the dealer 3 times for major work (turbos, head gasket,smog crap etc.)And I only had the truck from 20000 to 55000 mile mark now it's someone else's problem.All the new work trucks they buy are now dodge I have a brand new 5500 cummins and I love it so far more torque and so smooth on the freeway ,and the interior for a work truck far to nice.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member

Are you retarded or just trying to be? Do you know what GCWR is? It's the maximum gross combined weight allowable...and I posted it to show how closely they are matched in not just towing but in total cargo ability. Learn to read & comprehend before you try and correct someone. The Ram 3500 was what, 25.5k with the Max Tow package and is still behind Ford & Dodge.

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Are you retarded or just trying to be? Do you know what GCWR is? It's the maximum gross combined weight allowable...and I posted it to show how closely they are matched in not just towing but in total cargo ability. Learn to read & comprehend before you try and correct someone. The Ram 3500 was what, 25.5k with the Max Tow package and is still behind Ford & Dodge.

Wow you have some spent up anger inside you don't you? Yes you did quote GCVWR #'s. I quoted tow numbers(something totally different)after your comment about Dodge not hauling as much as you think. Who really cares in the end, their all descent trucks that will get the job done, if your in the market giver, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Are they putting Ram 3500 Cummins in F650/750 sized trucks?

Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Caterpillar all make engines for semi-trucks. Powerstrokes, and Duramaxes are not found in semi-trucks, and bigger trucks in that size class.

they put 5.9 Cummins ISBs in the F650/750s..nothing special. Same motor as the 3500

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
If the Powerstroke is such a tow monster!!!.....Why does Ford not offer the Powerstroke in their F650/750 but put a Cummins ISB with an Allison in it?

They do offer the powerstroke, Detriot and a Cat also I do believe so you tell me why????

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Sorry, but I know for a fact that the new Cummins has nowhere near the power of the Duramax or the Powerstroke. Hell last time I checked the Ford could pull the complete load a Dodge can and then put the 3500 dual rear wheel truck on it then meet its towing capacity....

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Sorry, but I know for a fact that the new Cummins has nowhere near the power of the Duramax or the Powerstroke. Hell last time I checked the Ford could pull the complete load a Dodge can and then put the 3500 dual rear wheel truck on it then meet its towing capacity....

How do you figure, Dodge has 800ft/pounds for 2011 but it somehow was left out of the test. GM 765ft/pounds and Ford 800.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Still have 48% of first time buyers never returning after there first chebby. I'll stick to the big blue oval thanks though!! Oh and for you owners out there saying bull, I sat in front of a few GM big wigs at a dinner with my girl a month ago and got to see them discuss this with everyone there. Wish I would have thought to record it, but it made my Ford nuts swing...They even put the ole blue oval up on the screen and said they need to do a better job and give the dealers a better product like Ford has been doing.

Really? Thats great man I would of paid money to hear that.

Jroc

Established Member
they put 5.9 Cummins ISBs in the F650/750s..nothing special. Same motor as the 3500

Well first off it's better to be Stroked than Rammed.

Secondly Dodge does not own Cummins. They just contract them to make the motors for their diesel truck the same way Ford is for their bigger trucks. Typically a CAT engine is also an option, but they are currently absent in that market starting 2010.

Seriously a 3/4 ton Ram is a good truck. My dad owns a 2001 Ram 3500 and is a great truck other than its ridiculously stiff clutch that's stiffer than the clutches on the flatbeds at work. Still Ford makes an excellent 3/4 truck, and the sale a lot more of them than anyone else. I've know plenty of people who swear by them, and have them with higher mileage.

My dad use to have a 95 Silverado 3500 with the old 6.5 Detroit Diesel, and that was the biggest POS truck I have ever seem. Still I'm sure many have had them and thought they were great truck. That motor is obviously good enough for the Humvee, but it gave my dad fits. All in all Powerstroke is a very good motor, and I'm sure the new Scorpion would work just fine in the F650/F750 if Ford so decided to use it in them. Remember this is the first year Ford is building their own Diesel v8 for their 3/4 ton truck. They are only going to get better.

BTW the F650/F750 uses the current 6.7L Cummins diesel. They also mate it to a Allison tranny.

Last edited:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you figure, Dodge has 800ft/pounds for 2011 but it somehow was left out of the test. GM 765ft/pounds and Ford 800.

Jesus man, how many times are we going to discuss this. The Dodge isn't rated nearly as high in towing as the Ford or Chevy and that is the reason it isn't included. Christ, Dodge's chassis cab is the only thing rated to hang with the Ford or Chevy...but we aren't looking at chassis cabs now are we? I hope you're not a representative of the Canadian school system.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
It's a little legal binding piece of paper called a contract.

so they desire to continue to build brand morale but not putting its AMAZING diesel in a true HD truck? What contract exactly is it that they would sign that makes them legaly binded to NOT put there own built/manufactured engine in their own vehicle?

AND i have seen/been part of more than a few situations where the little legal binding piece of paper called a contract didnt hold an once of weight.

03TermiCobra

Established Member
so they desire to continue to build brand morale but not putting its AMAZING diesel in a true HD truck? What contract exactly is it that they would sign that makes them legaly binded to NOT put there own built/manufactured engine in their own vehicle?

AND i have seen/been part of more than a few situations where the little legal binding piece of paper called a contract didnt hold an once of weight.

In most cases they sign contracts that they will buy x number of engines from y-manufacturer for z amount of years. I imagine that a big chunk of Internationals income from the past 20 years or so has come from their contract with FoMoCo.

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Jesus man, how many times are we going to discuss this. The Dodge isn't rated nearly as high in towing as the Ford or Chevy and that is the reason it isn't included. Christ, Dodge's chassis cab is the only thing rated to hang with the Ford or Chevy...but we aren't looking at chassis cabs now are we? I hope you're not a representative of the Canadian school system.

I guess you missed post 55 when I posted tow ratings.

but whatever you win. I can only argue with mentally retarded idiots for so long.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, even though this was an older F650 but about two weeks ago we had a F650 in the shop with a 6.0 in it so yes they do put the PSD in them. Also like stated above the Cat was an option. Hell one of our main diesel techs had a F650 with a Cummins in it. The reason he choose it and I quote "it was cheaper" he said he would have rather had a 6.0 but it cost more. Can I vouche for this? No because I dont know the pricing on it and didnt ask either.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Really? Thats great man I would of paid money to hear that.

Hell yes I looked at my girl and said I cannot believe I don't have my phone out for this!! I will see if she know what CEO was in the video, I was not looking forward to sitting at a chevy dealership until I heard that stuff.

I'm sure everyone will still think I'm bullshitting but I heard it and loved it!!
But then again I have only owned fords since I was 16 so what do I know. Haha

Sent from earth to space and back using Tapatalk.

Users who are viewing this thread