Pics/Video of MGW shifter for 2007 - 2011 GT500!!!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My factory shifter in my 2011 GT500 is very notchy and requires a lot of effort due the the short throw. It sounds like this shifter has the same length or height handle and an even shorter throw 15%. With the remote mounted nature of this shifter and the now even shorter throw, how have you overcome an even harder shift effort and notchy feel. To me the 2010 -2011 is plenty short enough. I would almost like a reduced effort by a longer shifter or longer throw. I would like to replace my shifter, for a more positive feel between the gears and less effort, reduced notchy feel.

Tremec has a fix for the remote mounted shifter, they are going to offer a S197 TR-6060 with a longer tail section that has a direct mounted shifter. It will also have a splined tail shaft so the two piece drive shaft will be a thing of the past. But If I can get a shifter to help, Im sure that will be way cheaper.

Thanks for any help.

you have a KR shifter in your car and yes i agree it is TOO SHORT..our shifter starts out 15 percent shorter then the STOCK GT500 shifter which is LONGER throw than the KR, ...it REALLY will help your shifting and be easier than the KR

regards
george

MattR

Established Member
you have a KR shifter in your car and yes i agree it is TOO SHORT..our shifter starts out 15 percent shorter then the STOCK GT500 shifter which is LONGER throw than the KR, ...it REALLY will help your shifting and be easier than the KR

regards
george

Thanks George,

The remote mounted nature of the shifter seems to be a problem as well. Maybe its just me but I swear when I am at full throttle things in the driveline are flexing and cause an even higher effort to make it shift. I assume the overall more robust design of the MGW shifter and higher duro bushing will help here as well?

Ford is rebuilding my trans, next month and I want to reduce problems as much as I can. I think your shifter may help.

Thanks for the reply.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Just an FYI. The videos have been updated to the final-release. Check the 1st post in the thread along with page 4 for the links.

Last edited:

2Sharpie

Established Member
Not the best pic, but you can see the shifter!
l_ff261f369cad4981aceda9240496c962.jpg

................uhhhhh, what shifter???!! :p

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I actually have the 2010 Tremec Product guide and the last page has the information. I Talked to the Tremec Rep in detail today about my car and its shifting problems. Here is a link to the book I have. go to the end its called the T-56 Magnum S197 mustang trans.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/TRMC_R3_0210_198.pdf

Wow. You delivered a gold nugget with that link. I am very impressed with what Tremec put together and with the direction they've decided to go. Somebody with a bit of wit and honesty penned a pretty self deprecating admission - and it's all true!

ScreenHunter_04Sep282140.gif

I never liked what Tremec did with the elimination of the "traditional" tail housing. I understand why they did it (cost, inventory, weight, etc). The blurb about being able to switch to a slip yoke and go with a one piece drive shaft offers a bit of insight I haven't seen from Tremec or Ford before.

ScreenHunter_01Sep282130.gif

Sure would be nice if enough people kept complaining about the shift quality (or lack thereof) in the latest GT500's. Anyhoo, thanks for that Matt.

Tob

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Wow. You delivered a gold nugget with that link. I am very impressed with what Tremec put together and with the direction they've decided to go. Somebody with a bit of wit and honesty penned a pretty self deprecating admission - and it's all true!

ScreenHunter_04Sep282140.gif

I never liked what Tremec did with the elimination of the "traditional" tail housing. I understand why they did it (cost, inventory, weight, etc). The blurb about being able to switch to a slip yoke and go with a one piece drive shaft offers a bit of insight I haven't seen from Tremec or Ford before.

ScreenHunter_01Sep282130.gif

Sure would be nice if enough people kept complaining about the shift quality (or lack thereof) in the latest GT500's. Anyhoo, thanks for that Matt.

Tob

well i hope these new trannys will take a beating

Blu-Steel

Established Member
I just installed an MGW shifter in my 2011 GT500. This is by far the best shifter I have ever used. I set it on 5 and it's a pretty short throw and easy to shift, just the way I like it.

I installed it in my garage with the car on jack stands. If you are handy with tools and comfortable with performing bolt ons you should have no problem doing the same. The install went very well and I didnt have any problems. I took my time, had the video with me and the instructions for reference. I was worried about the clips on the arms but I was able to remove them pretty easily. I loosened the trans mounting bolts about an inch and had just enough room to work. The drivers side is the most difficult since the clip is harder to reach and based on the feedback I have been reading from other posters I was prepeared to have a real hard time, but surprisingly it came off very easy. The trick is that I used a pick with a curved end (a screw driver handle with a sharp point almost like a J shape on the end) and placed the pointed end at the lip of the clip on the far side and pried it up as I pushed the allen wrench in the hole. It popped right up.

So far I have no shifting problems but to be honest I never power shifted anyway so I haven't experienced the dreaded 1 - 2 grind. But it shifts much better than the stock shifter and looks better to boot. I got the black knob with red numbers, stripes and cobra logo on the side to match my black w/red stripe interior and exterior. This is the shifter Ford needs to put in the car from the start. The stock one felt flimsy with the small diameter shaft and rubbery feel.

Best mod so far!

Last edited:

retrospect

Established Member
I have a couple of MGW products. Their quality is high. It's good to buy multiple items from them because of the $10 shipping combination. I guess amazon has spoiled me.

Users who are viewing this thread