Please, 93 Cobra owners only respond

SVT Fun

Established Member
For all you 93 Cobra owners out there --- Ever have other Mustang owners want to trade their car for yours? Wait just a minute. I mean this newer body style stuff (1999 and newer) that is in the midst of SIGNIFICANT depreciation, the kind of depreciation that when the car is taken to a dealership to trade-in on an 07 Mustang they leave with their feelings hurt. How does one trade a 93 Cobra, that is in the midst of appreciating, for a new edge Mustang that is in the midst of MEGA depreciation? Certainly would be a great deal for the new edge guys.

And before I get lynched, I've sold cars for 4 different automakers. I know a little about how the industry works. So go ahead, take those 99 and newer Mustangs to the car dealers and tell us what they are "WORTH" as a trade-in on a new Mustang.

And all those new car payments....OUCH!!! And all that new car insurance...DOUBLE OUCH!!!

svt2205

Established Member
I sort of think he's trying to ask why would someone trade a 93 Cobra for some other Mustang, maybe new maybe not so new...

Or is it why trade something that's appreciating in value to something that's not?

OK SVTFun, what are you trying to ask us?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
carguy19 said:
Wait what are you saying?? I cant find a "main idea" from your paragraph that you typed.

That was my thought too ....... "And the point is ..... "

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Back in 99 I had a guy that wanted to trade me his low mileage 96-97 cobra for my 93.
I politely rejected his offer

Adower

Established Member
Some guy in an 03 cobra asked if mine was for sale. I dont think he wanted to trade though. I wouldnt have sold it or traded anyways.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Simply put, when you trade the car in to the dealer they are going to give you about 3K less than you think its worth.

They clean it up,make it all look good again and then resell it.

Thats how they make their money.

scootro

Established Member
nope. i sold my 2001 gt to buy a 93cobra. I lost interest in the 4.6. No matter how many newer mustang i buy i always seem to go back to a 5.0. I LOVE THOSE FOXES

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
When people look for trades, they're looking at current value, not value later. Otherwise nobody would buy new cars.

I'd think the average '93 cobra is worth about $12k. An average '99 cobra is worth about $12k, the average '02-03 GT is worth about $12k. So as a matter of current worth, yes a trade seems reasonable.

A couple years from now that will be a whole different thing. The GT's and early new edge cobras will continue to decline in value, and the '93 cobra will either stay, or go up some. I think it will be 3 years or more before we really see the values of the '93 cobra really go up. But they're not going down, that's for sure.

I think the point the original poster was trying to make was, it's foolish to trade an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset. And I agree, however, some people value certain aspects of these cars, other than cash value.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I seriously doubt that if you were going to trade in a 1993 Cobra at the dealership that you would get anywhere near the value it would bring if you sold it privately. If I took mine to the dealership they would probably offer me around $4,000 for it. I would think that If I tried to sell it myself I could get around $10,000 for it. Mine has lots of miles on it and that seems to be the kiss of death to a dealership. Enthusiasts know that the old 5.0 engine is tough and can handle the miles :)

Mike Daniels

anybody can trade what they want BUT would anybody want to trade a rare
car away........very soon the 93 cobras are going to be hard to fine
it took me like 5 years to fine my. im a new member here
i have a 93 cobra with around 10,500 miles
teal with black interior

SVT Fun

Established Member
Take the liberty to call some Ford dealerships in the area that are certified SVT dealers, or were so back in the day. No offense, but totally bypass the sales representative in the conversation. Go straight for the sales or general manager. Tell them about the history of the 93 Cobra, such as original owner, production number, original window sticker, svt certificate, buyer's order, etc..., just whatever unique and identifiable 93 specific Cobra literature you have for the car and listen to the responses. Ask them what the car is worth. It is glaringly obvious some of these guys begin to drool. Some even mentioned calling the owner of the dealership or setting up an appointment with the ones that have their names on all the buildings to look at the Cobra as they might be interested in an outright purchase.

The most common response from Ford dealers...
1. "Why would you even sell a 93 Cobra?"
2. "Do you need money or something?"
3. "I'd keep the car if it was mine."

Oh, by the by, what is a TC? And who is on second?

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
in 01 I had an offer to trade my cobra stock with 85,000 miles at the time + $2000 for a 00 gt with low miles stock. i politely declined. very good move.

Last edited:

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
only new edge Mustang I would trade my 93 Cobra for would be a clean 03/04 Cobra. I'm talking about straight up trade and seeing as how the Terminators are still pulling high $20K, I doubt this situation would happen. :)

CO9B3RA

Established Member
I luckily found my 33k miler after a short 3 mo. search....less than 200 miles
away. My big problem prior to that was not finding the emission system kept up or totally gone in some otherwise pristine, low miled 93's. In Az only 2 counties including Phoenix and Tuscon have mandatory emission checks: I
live in the second.

Anyway, I've had several people walk right up to me and want to know if
I would sell. The only thing at this moment which would influence me to
sell is the price of gas...and that is starting to make me worry a bit.:rollseyes
:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread