• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

POLL: TRI AX OR PRO 5.0

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by Brad, Sep 14, 2002.

Tri Ax or Pro 5.0

1. Tri Ax

348 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Pro 5.0

312 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. davidmax

davidmax New Member Established Member

I have the pro 5.0,with LTD. experience with the Steeda,The pro 5.0 is a great shifter a little vague from 5th to 3rd but all around a great tool.Dave S.

2. ALA G8R

ALA G8R Banned

I went with the Tri-ax. Spring quides shifting from 2nd to 3rd works great. 4th to 5th is easy also.

Comes with two height settings. I use the taller setting. I love the whine of the transmission I get using the Tri-ax.

3. SVT 03 Cobra

SVT 03 Cobra New Member

I have te Tri-ax with MGW handle and Redline D4 tranny fluid. This is the ultimate setup in my opinion, but everyone has diffent driving styles and preferences. Try just the MGW handle 1st, as it is only about $40. Best of luck.

Jayson

4. VNMHISS

VNMHISS Member Established Member

I had a STEEDA Tri-ax in my '98 Cobra for three years. Great shifter BUT,I always grinded 2nd gear,when trying to powershift over 5000 rpm. I recently switched to a Pro-5.0 w/STEEDA handle and I have never ginded 2nd gear since.(knock on wood) It has enabled me to powershift with confidence,and run my best personal E.T. They felt similiar,but the Pro-5.0 felt twice as smooth in all the gates,than the STEEDA even after three years of use. I do agree the Pro-5.0 handle is too short,and really strained my neck to reach 5th gear.(I have long arms too). As far as having to trim the rubber boot. I discovered the rubber boot to be pretty torn up,and getting rubber gunk all over(and inside the STEEDA shifter mechanism). I think the Pro-5.0/trimmed boot,looks alot cleaner. Here's where I bought mine(Free shipping) $189.99 www.gtrhipo.com

5. HotRodHarry

HotRodHarry Life is short,Live it up! Established Member

Tri-Ax Shifter/GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid Part # 12345349

6. NMRAcer

NMRAcer Aviator & Terminator Established Member

Steeda Tri-ax $169 from Delk performance. Best damn shifter i ever banged around. Give Heath a call there, he'll hook you up.

7. RedfireVenom

RedfireVenom 11 Second Vert Club Established Member

Putting a new shifter in your car shouldn't void your warranty. Even if you did have some problems and need to take it in for work, you could probably change it in 20 minutes once you have done it the first time. I chose the Pro 5.0 and am now deciding between a MGW handle or a Tri-ax handle. Any feedback on either one?

Btw, Sheehy ford here in MD has the Pro 5.0 in stock for $160.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  8. 94SVT Coupe

94SVT Coupe Ford Fanatic Established Member

I agree that it shouldn't, but it definately can. There's a post somewhere on this board of a guy who's warranty was nearly voided due to the shifter. 03Blackcobra I think it was...

Ford is broke right now and is taking every chance they can to void warranties. Don't think anyone on here will help you when the field engineer voids your warranty.

Mod at your own risk.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  9. KevinB120

KevinB120 COOKIES! Established Member

we have a used 03 cobra with a pro 5.0 and cat-x and catbacks, we had NO problem certifying it, giving the powertrain more then twice the standard warranty, and its my no means the most modded certified used car weve sold:thumbsup:

10. KevinB120

KevinB120 COOKIES! Established Member

wholy SCHNIKIES its a dead heat 91-91:uh oh:

11. jtfx6552

jtfx6552 Well-Known Member Established Member

Pro 5.0 has a new, well at least relatively new handle for their T-56 shifter in an SN-95. They call it their "mid length" handle. It is powder coated, unlike the handle that originally came with the shifter (which I found unusable).

I switched from the stock handle on the pro 50 which was real nice, to the mid length handle which is great.

JT

12. davidmax

davidmax New Member Established Member

6 of 1 1/2 dozen of the other you cant go wrong with either.Dave S.

13. King03Cobra

King03Cobra New Member Established Member

Brad,
    You'll like the Tri Ax, both are nice, but I think you made a good choice.

14. ltv1

ltv1 New Member Established Member

I have that same problem @WOT. I also have to rev pretty hard from 5th to get into 4th or I hear a small grind. When not WOT everything is fine. What type of adjustments can be made? I would hate to trash it, it works well otherwise. Tranny is new, old one was replaced.

15. MidLifeC

MidLifeC PCa Survivor Established Member

Ordered the TriAx today. Feedback on both shifters has been positive, I figured I couldn't make a bad choice. The deciding factor for me was not having to cut the boot.

16. Sin

Sin New Member Established Member

Had a Tri-Ax in my 00GT, compared to my 5.0 I have now....no comparison that the 5.0 is better (cant tell by the polls though)

17. Xplicit

Xplicit Su Corazón Established Member

I'm hit or miss on my 2nd - 3rd shift on Tri-ax.

18. One Fast Cobra

One Fast Cobra member Established Member

Brad,
    It comes down to personal preference. I like the Tri-Ax better, although the Pro5.0 is an OK shifter. I recommend the Steeda Tri-Ax to my friends or anyone that asks. Good luck with
    your 03 Cobra... :beer: :beer: :beer:

19. MadNesss

MadNesss New Member Established Member

Nope you aint the only one ;) I to have and LOVE the Kirban... everyone I know with Vettes and Vipers with the t56 ALL use the Kirban... we couldnt be happier with ours :)

20. 03blacksnake

03blacksnake Time Traveler Established Member

I just installed the Pro 5.0 and it is like night and day over the stock shifter. I don't know about the Steeda, but I love the feel of the Pro 5.0

I did notice that after driving the car 300 miles back home the handle started to vibrate loose and I had to re-tighten it. Are any of you using anything (lock tight, etc) to prevent this?