Ported Eaton vs Twin Screw at Stock Boost

Ryushin

Established Member
I've been trying to figure out what horsepower difference I'll see running a ported Eaton or Whipple/KB at 8-10 pounds of boost. I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't come across any definite answers.

The stock cobra with just a CAI and a ported Eaton is here.

So between a CAI and a Stage IV ported Eaton produced an extra 48 hp.

I don't know what a Whipple/KB would have done at the same boost. I haven't found any write ups of anyone running that low of a boost level on a twin screw.

I also found this article on some myths of forced induction. Scroll down about half way for the article for the Myths part. According to article, the Eaton is a very good supercharger.

So I don't know the answer to this. Does anyone have any information on the efficiency of a Ported Eaton (blower) versus Twin Screw (compressor) type of superchargers.

I'm still on my quest to achieve 500 RWHP using stock boost. I might have to go with cams and such to do it. Still researching, still learning... :idea:

C.K.

Established Member
I think the largest pulley for the KB/Whipple is a 3.5 and that's around 13lbs of boost. The twin screws are going to be more efficient hands down. If you're looking for a lot more power, twin screw is the way to go.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Stock Whipple pulley is a 3.5" or 13# of boost. thats good for at least 515RWHP. Like my friend above mentioned, twin screws are the way to go.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
why even get a ported or kb at only 8-10lbs, not sure if your really gonna gain anything but 10-20hp tops or maybe even lose some.. just like most of the blowers u upgrade to u need to up the boost to get more power.

C.K.

Established Member
why even get a ported or kb at only 8-10lbs, not sure if your really gonna gain anything but 10-20hp tops or maybe even lose some.. just like most of the blowers u upgrade to u need to up the boost to get more power.

At 15lbs between an eaton and a KB/Whipple the twin screw blowers will have MUCH more power. Probably between 80-100rwhp more. They are much more efficient.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
No reason to port an eaton and keep 10lbs:??: Go twin screw 15lbs which is nothing for these motors and have mid low 500's which seems to be what u want. If you use the ported eaton to reach 500 will take 17lbs and lower 4 pulley which will max out the eaton.

02reaper

Established Member
At 15lbs between an eaton and a KB/Whipple the twin screw blowers will have MUCH more power. Probably between 80-100rwhp more. They are much more efficient.

Is that power under the curve, peak, or throughout?

CobraRyan

Banned
No reason to port an eaton and keep 10lbs:??: Go twin screw 15lbs which is nothing for these motors and have mid low 500's which seems to be what u want. If you use the ported eaton to reach 500 will take 17lbs and lower 4 pulley which will max out the eaton.

All you need to reach 500 on a ported eaton is a 2.8 upper which is 12-14 psi depending on your exhaust setup. A twin screw at 13psi will make 525-550. Dont know why you guys say 100rwhp more

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
All you need to reach 500 on a ported eaton is a 2.8 upper which is 12-14 psi depending on your exhaust setup. A twin screw at 13psi will make 525-550. Dont know why you guys say 100rwhp more

Your going to need a big ass twin screw to make 550 at 13psi

To the OP it looks like your goal is more to not surpass stock boost more than it is to hit 500, everyone knows how easy it is to get around 500 out of these motors. So I would say to put a Whipple on the car and build accordingly.

Ryushin

Established Member
So according to whipple's web site, it seems that the supercharger is rated from 8-25 psi. So I would have to find a larger pulley then.

My purpose of this thread was to try and find some information related to how efficient the twin screw is compared to a ported Eaton at lower boost. Maybe I'll just have to waste the extra $800 or so to get my Eaton ported and purchase a whipple on top of that. Then change it out. Maybe run 10 pounds of boost (though I'm only seeing 7.7 pounds at a mile high) and compare the two super chargers. From what I understand the Eaton is supposed to have to have a flatter torque curve and the twin screws make more up top but not down low.

Also, since I'm being so protective of my engine, does anyone know of a knock sensor setup for the cobra motors that will retard the timing if it detects ping/knock?

Ryushin

Established Member
I guess Whipple answered my question for me. According to this page, the Whipple is making 448 hp on a stock engine with stock boost. So with a Whipple, full cat'd exhaust, Accufab TB, JLT RAI, and a tune I should be close to 500 RWHP. The torque curves also look pretty good according to their graph.

I feel confident enough that I can run a whipple at lower boost and still keep my remaining 80K left in my warranty.

So now I just need to find a knock sensor solution.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're hoping to keep your warranty then you better let your Ford Service department know you're doing this. Plus have them install it and show them the stock pulley. Also somehow mark it that if you're going to take it off they will know. Other than that a Warranty probably won't last with a Whipple on a Terminator engine.

Ryushin

Established Member
If you're hoping to keep your warranty then you better let your Ford Service department know you're doing this. Plus have them install it and show them the stock pulley. Also somehow mark it that if you're going to take it off they will know. Other than that a Warranty probably won't last with a Whipple on a Terminator engine.

That's an excellent idea. I never thought of that.

As a side note, I wonder if a larger pulley will have problems fitting under the hood. I guess time will tell.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
No the stock 3.5" pulley will be fine. Just get it cleared with your Ford dealer first. Good luck and let us know what they say.

Ryushin

Established Member
The stock 3.5" pulley makes 13 pounds. I'll have to go to something like a 3.75". I'll probably have to contact Whipple for the exact pulley size.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I run a ported eaton with a 3.1 upper. It makes 10# of boost and about 470 RWHP. IAT2 stays really low, which is good for the roadcourse.

It runs just like a 2.76 upper only car at 14#, but cooler.

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member

:lol:

LOL... too funny! If you don't know then don't say anything as you are way off in your predictions. A twin screw at the same boost is a great deal more efficient and have leaps and bounds of HP over a 112 rotor Eaton at the same boost.

liedenfrost

Established Member
I've been trying to figure out what horsepower difference I'll see running a ported Eaton or Whipple/KB at 8-10 pounds of boost. I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't come across any definite answers.

The stock cobra with just a CAI and a ported Eaton is here.

So between a CAI and a Stage IV ported Eaton produced an extra 48 hp.

I don't know what a Whipple/KB would have done at the same boost. I haven't found any write ups of anyone running that low of a boost level on a twin screw.

I also found this article on some myths of forced induction. Scroll down about half way for the article for the Myths part. According to article, the Eaton is a very good supercharger.

So I don't know the answer to this. Does anyone have any information on the efficiency of a Ported Eaton (blower) versus Twin Screw (compressor) type of superchargers.

I'm still on my quest to achieve 500 RWHP using stock boost. I might have to go with cams and such to do it. Still researching, still learning... :idea:

The twin screw has more power up top giving the peak numbers on the dyno, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there is at low and mid-range rpm. Many folks that went from a ported Eaton to a twin screw note that down low in the rpm range, the twin screw feels very similar to the Eaton, but pulls like a train up top. I would like to see an overlay of the dyno graphs for a ported Eaton and twin screw at the same peak boost levels. The area under the curve is more important to many folks rather than a peak number. Do a test and show us the results. Based on some of the responses above, many folks don't seem to understand what you are talking about.:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread