Ported my blower myself. Results inside.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
SVTkel said:
94-98 Trans Am said:
Well, I ported the blower myself. Pics and explanation can be found on www.sloppymechanics.com (Not a company for moderator reference)

Nice job. Can you give more details on repacking the rotors and components?

Thanks

Its very easy. Pull the bolts out of the front of the case. I tapped the front slightly and the snout came off with some pulling (it sits in dowels). Watch out for the blower oil, because here it comes. Now that the snout is off the rotor assembly will need to be tapped out. I lightly tapped it with a hammer (use a screw driver carefully to pry around evenly if needed). Once the rotor assembly is loose it will pull right out. Keep it straight when pulling out just to be safe.

You will see bearings pressed into the back of the blower case. I would clean them and regrease them with a high temp grease before reassembly.

Don't forget to use black rtv (not to much, just enough) on the snout to rotor assembly. Rotor to case I did not use any rtv. Fill the blower with oil. You can use blower oil, but I used castrol syntec motor oil (full snythetic 10w-30). It took about a half quart. Pull the fill plug and fill with the blower tilting straight up. I put the blower on its base, and watched it overflow. I knew it was full and level to the fill plug so installed the plug securely. Make sure the plug has its o-ring on it still.

Hope this clears it up for you. I torqued the blower case bolts to 19ftlbs. Its probably the wrong torque spec, but so is drilling your blower case with hole saws. :D

Good Luck,
Corey

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
twinscrewIV said:
The inlet temps were at 88deg at 6100rpm. I logged it till 6400 not sure if you were wide open cory or if you got off it anyway the highest was 92 deg. How was the metal shavings in your bagel bites yummy i bet. I know cory's dicky brother wants a cobra now but he wont admit it.

My cat likes the metal shavings all over the floor. My brother is ls1 for life, so no cobras for him. He thought the gain was impressive, but his auto ls1 goes fast for the dollars in it.

denmah

Established Member
94-98 Trans Am said:
I torqued the blower case bolts to 19ftlbs. Its probably the wrong torque spec, but so is drilling your blower case with hole saws. :D

Good Luck,
Corey

:rockon: if its not hacked i dont wanna see it, let me know when you wanna pull it off again, maybee we will just put it in my garage and heat it up.

and we can really open it up with the air tool and the carbide cutting bits.

denmah

Established Member
i would also reccomend plugging or taping off the bearings in the back of the case with tape or something so the metal shavings dont go in there, we washed out the blower in a parts washer to get all the metal shavings out.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
congrats man, one small step for car enthusists on a budget :D Keep the work up! And i cant wait to hear your #'s on the silly gas.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
94-98 Trans Am said:
SVTkel said:
Its very easy. Pull the bolts out of the front of the case. I tapped the front slightly and the snout came off with some pulling (it sits in dowels). Watch out for the blower oil, because here it comes. Now that the snout is off the rotor assembly will need to be tapped out. I lightly tapped it with a hammer (use a screw driver carefully to pry around evenly if needed). Once the rotor assembly is loose it will pull right out. Keep it straight when pulling out just to be safe.

You will see bearings pressed into the back of the blower case. I would clean them and regrease them with a high temp grease before reassembly.

Don't forget to use black rtv (not to much, just enough) on the snout to rotor assembly. Rotor to case I did not use any rtv. Fill the blower with oil. You can use blower oil, but I used castrol syntec motor oil (full snythetic 10w-30). It took about a half quart. Pull the fill plug and fill with the blower tilting straight up. I put the blower on its base, and watched it overflow. I knew it was full and level to the fill plug so installed the plug securely. Make sure the plug has its o-ring on it still.

Hope this clears it up for you. I torqued the blower case bolts to 19ftlbs. Its probably the wrong torque spec, but so is drilling your blower case with hole saws. :D

Good Luck,
Corey

Thanks a bunch:thumbsup:

denmah

Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
how long dose it take you to pull the blower off???

no time at all, but we are experienced, (and i use that term lightly) wrench turners, in a cold ass garage with one light and 20 degrees lol it only took us about an hour and a half and corey did 80% of it and i just helped out at the end.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Wow!! Really neat that more and more folks are starting to experiment with home porting. I know Gladiator is getting ready to do some work on his.

I understand the "free horsepower" philosophy here, but was kinda surprised you went this route Corey. You have such a strong running Eaton Terminator, I would of thought you would of gotten a proven Stage IV to see just how quick you can get that beast. I was fortunate and got in a $417 GP with Steig for my Stage IV and was able to get improvements of 44 RWHP and 7 RWTQ.

But regardless, looking forward to seeing you run at the track this year!!!

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Wow!! Really neat that more and more folks are starting to experiment with home porting. I know Gladiator is getting ready to do some work on his.

I understand the "free horsepower" philosophy here, but was kinda surprised you went this route Corey. You have such a strong running Eaton Terminator, I would of thought you would of gotten a proven Stage IV to see just how quick you can get that beast. I was fortunate and got in a $417 GP with Steig for my Stage IV and was able to get improvements of 44 RWHP and 7 RWTQ.

But regardless, looking forward to seeing you run at the track this year!!!

I like trying things myself. Paying 500+ after shipping the blower back and forth..then having a pegged maf. I wouldn't have been happy. This year the car got a cage, it still needs a 5pt harness, swingouts, loop, maf, and I want to do drag springs up front, plus it needs more dyno time and retuning...it all adds up.

The car will probably get sprayed most of the season so I wasn't to concerned about blower only #'s, I just want to open up the bottom of the blower so the n20 has a better path to the lower intake. There is still power to be made, but that won't be till Feb.

On another note, I can't wait till race season.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
94-98 Trans Am said:
I like trying things myself. Paying 500+ after shipping the blower back and forth..then having a pegged maf. I wouldn't have been happy. This year the car got a cage, it still needs a 5pt harness, swingouts, loop, maf, and I want to do drag springs up front, plus it needs more dyno time and retuning...it all adds up.

The car will probably get sprayed most of the season so I wasn't to concerned about blower only #'s, I just want to open up the bottom of the blower so the n20 has a better path to the lower intake. There is still power to be made, but that won't be till Feb.

On another note, I can't wait till race season.
I understand and that certainly makes sense. Just remember, Broke's 10.89 is the fastest Eaton/6 speed/IRS time that I've heard of and you would certainly have a very reasonable opportunity to run this or quicker. But, the top Eaton on spray time is 10.01 and that's going to be just a little tougher......;-) Either way, I'm going to enjoy seeing how you do. The MACA has 6 track events this year, 4 of them being rentals and I hope you can make some.

And, I pegged my MAF at 5,800 rpm with a 2.90/4 lb, unported setup. Many Eaton folks peg em before they even get the ported blowers on there............

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
We did a Lightning blower ourselves a few months with only a few pics to go by, the results were staggering to say the least. I believe it made right around 415rwhp and in the 500's for torque, with the STOCK PULLEY. It's almost unbelievable really.

Users who are viewing this thread