Ported my blower myself. Results inside.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
RippinSVT said:
We did a Lightning blower ourselves a few months with only a few pics to go by, the results were staggering to say the least. I believe it made right around 415rwhp and in the 500's for torque, with the STOCK PULLEY. It's almost unbelievable really.

What stage port did you go by? I started yesterday porting mines with my brother. Going with a Stage 2 port since that was the one that was the best for our trucks. Its not a difficult job at all. The key on the Lightnings is not to go crazy opening up the outlet side so much. At the top of the RPM band is where that causes a lot of turbulence in the air exiting the S/C and you lose power. I say that because another truck with the same mods as me, im on the stock blower and him with a Stage 4 port, we went from a 50 roll and he jumped on me till 80, I reeled him back in and past that point I stayed a truck in front till 130. A lot of factors come into play but it still made me believe that the blower just was to open. Will be port matching as well to my C&L plenum, which when we took the dimensions, the C&L has a bigger opening then the inlet of the S/C, which would make the intake not to full potential. Will be posting up pics in this thread since a lot of people are wanting to try home ports.

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Hey Corey, you got any track #s yet? My motor just went to Proline today to get rebuilt, so hopefully I will be back at it soon. I'm gonna be shooting for mid 10's this year(with the eaton still), although it's getting hot here already(89 today). I'll probably have to wait until late fall to hit a number like that. I may have it back in time to make FFW at Commerce.

Last edited:

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
For updates check sloppymechanics.com

Went to the track sunday. Car 60'ed in the 1.5x all day. These moroso drag springs up front guarantee the wheels off the ground ever launch. I think I need to stiffen my rear shocks (anti-hop) to level 4 to keep the car squatted to get in the lower 1.5's on blower.

The bad news is ever since I put this sct2400 meter on the car its never run the same. The ported blower pegged the meter, so we changed it. Now the car lays down at the top of first gear and sometimes in second. The car dynos 484/550 with the meter, but who knows whats going on. Im going to swap the plugs first. My best was and only full on pass was 11.5 @ 119. So I got some work to do for next weekend. I want to throw the old tune in, but the meter pegs early and afrs go mid to high 12's by 5,800. I don't want that.

I do agree with you, this warmer weather isn't helping..it sucks for these cars.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Well here is run #2 where I gave up after frustration. I have some ideas on problems so Ill work them out on Thursday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgKC2QWmOLY

And another run where it did on top of first quickly, the car really nosed over before my 1st-2nd shift. I ran 11.5 on this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHlV8LFvqk

There was rust in the bottom of my race gas container (maybe water to), I blew the belt off on the way to the car trailer located about 10 minutes away. The lower idler blew apart and luckily I had an extra.

This thursday, Im doing plugs, tighter belt (it needs it), new fuel. Im prepping the road with VHT and doing launches with the datalogger and wideband. We'll find the problem. I got some supras to race at the track this weekend and I want the 100 shot.

Ill keep you updated, Im glad your staying on the eaton for now.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I'm definately sticking with the eaton. I enjoy kickin ass with less. The only way I will swap would be if one falls in my lap for little to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread