Possible to add or opt out of extras offered at signing of a new car purchase?

4.6+5.0

Established Member
Just curious if its possible to add or cancel those extras offered at signing of a new car like gap ins, zaktek paint care, skylink and whatever else is offered or is it once signed u can't cancel or add anything?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Just curious if its possible to add or cancel those extras offered at signing of a new car like gap ins, zaktek paint care, skylink and whatever else is offered or is it once signed u can't cancel or add anything?

I think your dealer can answer that?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes you can, you can cancel whenever you want. If it's within a few days there won't be a cancelation fee...but after the grace period you will pay fees.

Also, it will not lower your monthly payment, instead the money will come off at the end of the loan.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
If you don't want those extras, tell them. If they are unwilling to take it off, take your business elsewhere. I wouldn't pay for the "zaktek paint care" so someone can mess up your paint with a rotary buffer.

I'd pay for the Gap Ins. though. I guess you are leasing a car.

Don't pay any BS fees!

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I'll be honest on the 13 mustang gt I just bought the only part that was high pressure was the freaking add ons that tried to get me to buy, I told the lady up front that I would not buy an extended warranty and she pushed like crazy. I guess I'm just too polite.

oldmodman

Established Member
When I bought my 03 Cobra the dealer wanted to add all kinds of worthless crap. Alarm system, rustproofing, glass protection.

I opted out of everything. But I did get Lojack and the extended warranty. And I was able to grind them down on both of those. They almost lost the sale but came around when I started to walk out on them.

only a gt

Established Member
I work at a dealership, and all that stuff is crap. Just profit directly in their pocket. We do not even offer any of that garbage, nor do we charge a doc fee or a conveyance fee. People seem to just accept all the extra b.s. fees for some reason.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
All of the crap they offer you in the finance office is 100% profit into the dealer's pockets. When we bought my wife's Sonic, we told the finance guy that we weren't interested in anything before he even started with his dog and pony show, but we had to sit through an endure it anyway. If I recall, I turned down the "Windshield Protectant" by mentioning that we could buy an awful lot of Rain-X for $750, and not pay interest over several years for it - he seemed to get the hint that we really weren't adding anything on after that one. :D

Even more of a red flag for these things is that they will try and sell them to you by telling you the increase in monthly payment, not the actual cost. Yeah - that's not shady at all. :bored:

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I told them before we even sat down to talk - I will not be purchasing an extended warranty, as I plan to void it.

Users who are viewing this thread