Post most recent pics of your '13-14 GT500

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I'm in too! If nothing else, just to see the new wheel look. Are black wheels going out of style? I never understood it in the first place. But I'm just weird like that.

Hey Doug! Glad to hear that. Before I got my black wheels you clearly expressed your 'lack of love' for them in our other forum (FordGT500.com). While I really liked the look and still do like them a lot, I am excited for the change. Not sure I would say they are necessarily going out of style, but I do have commitment issues in just about every aspect of my life and no matter what I just need to change things up periodically. I am certain you will like the new look (hopefully moreso than just because they are not black). ;):D

Last edited:

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ugh...that other forum. Although some colors scream for black wheels like dark gray metallic, I agree the black wheel and murdered out look has been way over done but to each their own.

Bad Company

Established Member
They use similar blankets on the exhaust pipes of jet engines.
This is the safety we used on the blankets.
Wire: Steel Corrosion Resisting
302 Non-Electrical

What pattern did you use when you laced up the blankets?
Snoopy

Here is a better picture of the safety wire on the heat shields. Inconel is more than likely the material in the jet engines also. It is used a lot in the aerospace industry due to its light weight and high heat rejection properties.

IMG_1923.jpg

fearthesnake

Established Member
Snoopy

Here is a better picture of the safety wire on the heat shields. Inconel is more than likely the material in the jet engines also. It is used a lot in the aerospace industry due to its light weight and high heat rejection properties.

View attachment 1472235
Dumb question but what is the purpose of wrapping the headers in the heat shields?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Dumb question but what is the purpose of wrapping the headers in the heat shields?

Yes they're wrapped. They are ceramic coated with a 2500*F coating and then covered with an Inconel heat shield. This was done to reduce underhood temperatures, while also keeping the velocity of the exhaust gasses high until they hit the H-Pipe for a higher scavenging effect of the headers collector.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
From an engineering standpoint that’s the ideal setup. Look at high end race efforts and you’ll see those wraps/shields.
Over the top attentions to detail throughout!
I talked to a company that does these at PRI. Cost was wallet shocking :)
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those wrap/heat shields are just plain sexy. I gots to know biminiLX-Bad Company, how much?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think close to price of headers!
Obviously expensive material and process and necessary for certain goals but my turbo headers will have ceramic coat and conventional wrap!
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is the best brand of coating to get for headers and mid-pipe?

Bad Company

Established Member
Those wrap/heat shields are just plain sexy. I gots to know biminiLX-Bad Company, how much?

I think close to price of headers!
Obviously expensive material and process and necessary for certain goals but my turbo headers will have ceramic coat and conventional wrap!
-J
The costs are high. One of the things that also drives this is all the shipping costs between the sources that have the capabilities to do this. I actually sourced the headers, coating and inconel heat shields through Fischer Motorsports. If I had sourced everything independently the costs of shipping to multiple vendors brought the final costs close to his. Dealing with one person saved me the aggravation of the shipping logistics and worrying about packaging them to protect them from destruction by UPS.

I worked with Advanced Thermal Products in Irvine CA in the past with some of the high Hp diesel engines. This would be my source for excellent work at a better price point than most anyone specializing in servicing the auto racing industry if somebody is truly interested in sending a set out to be fitted with inconel shields.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The costs are high. One of the things that also drives this is all the shipping costs between the sources that have the capabilities to do this. I actually sourced the headers, coating and inconel heat shields through Fischer Motorsports. If I had sourced everything independently the costs of shipping to multiple vendors brought the final costs close to his. Dealing with one person saved me the aggravation of the shipping logistics and worrying about packaging them to protect them from destruction by UPS.

I worked with Advanced Thermal Products in Irvine CA in the past with some of the high Hp diesel engines. This would be my source for excellent work at a better price point than most anyone specializing in servicing the auto racing industry if somebody is truly interested in sending a set out to be fitted with inconel shields.
http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgevipersrt10.html
These aren't the guys that we're at PRI but these guys were:
http://headershield.com/
And dyno test:
http://headershield.com/test/
I'd probably do this when I build the wife's kit Cobra but for most guys here, the convential options suffice.
Inconel shield is badass but another option is Swain Tech's true ceramic White Lightning coating (then sprayed with black ceramic header paint and wrapped)---how I made my last mild steel turbo headers.
For Kurt's goals these were the right play, and I'm really excited to see his results.
Hope you got her home safe buddy.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I got mine done by jet hot .i dont have them on yet.i tried to put a photos on here but it doesnt work now for some reason.
If you have a smart phone it's pretty easy to upload direct, I used to use Photobucket but now just from iPad or iPhone
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgevipersrt10.html
These aren't the guys that we're at PRI but these guys were:
http://headershield.com/
And dyno test:
http://headershield.com/test/
I'd probably do this when I build the wife's kit Cobra but for most guys here, the convential options suffice.
Inconel shield is badass but another option is Swain Tech's true ceramic White Lightning coating (then sprayed with black ceramic header paint and wrapped)---how I made my last mild steel turbo headers.
For Kurt's goals these were the right play, and I'm really excited to see his results.
Hope you got her home safe buddy.
-J
The YouTube video you linked is great at showing how Inconel heat shields work at retaining the heat in the headers. When you retain heat in the headers tubes the volumetric efficiency of the header increases because the exhaust gases don't increase in density as they cool. The video makes me want to pull the H-Pipe to be wrapped also, but at this point I think I've done enough

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL....I was wondering if anybody would notice that.
Well, you know me. :D

Yes they're wrapped. They are ceramic coated with a 2500*F coating and then covered with an Inconel heat shield. This was done to reduce underhood temperatures, while also keeping the velocity of the exhaust gasses high until they hit the H-Pipe for a higher scavenging effect of the headers collector.
I was looking at a product that looks just like that sold by Heatshield products that piqued my interest and was going to use at some point. I'd be curious to know how it works out.

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
I Googled HeatShield Products, I'm assuming you're looking at this product.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/exhaust-heat-shield-insulation/heatshield-armor

This is not the same as Inconel heat shields. The big difference in Inconel is it is a very thin single layer material. I'd estimate the thickness of these at 0.010 to 0.015" thick without breaking out a set of calipers to measure them.

The Heatshield product I linked is .250" to .500" thick. It is an aluminum foil over a fiber type material. It has too much thickness to be wrapped on a set of headers and have room for the steering shaft, especially if you lower the engine for a larger supercharger.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to get a quote from the company bimini posted up. Anyone have dimensions for ARH headers? Not sure I can measure these installed on the car. I'm just looking for some method to reduce underhood temps.

Users who are viewing this thread