Post most recent pics of your '13-14 GT500

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It's been hot in a lot of places this summer. We had high temps of ~90-105 throughout our drive across the east half of Route 66 (Adrian, TX to Chicago, IL). I'm happy to say that my Reische 170' Tstat and my VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E ensured the engine never got about about 180' and IAT2 didn't go beyond ~30' above ambient, even in traffic. Once we got moving, temps always came down to comfortable levels, even when cruising for extended periods between 80 and 100MPH with the A/C on.

Speaking of Route 66 and in keeping with this thread's subject, here are some pics from the trip...
1 - Adrian, TX.jpg
2 - Amarillo, TX.jpg
3 - Shamrock, TX.jpg
4 - Sayre, OK.jpg
5 - Arcadia, MO.jpg
6 - Warwick, OK.jpg
7 - Chandler, OK.jpg
8 - Stroud, OK.jpg
9 - Baxter Springs, KS.jpg
10 - Carthage, MO.jpg

Thank God for ceramic coating and pressure washers, as every day began at a local pay & spray to remove the previous day's bug carnage. The grasshoppers thru NM (getting to the Midpoint) and TX were so bad, I found a bird grazing on the remains in my heat exchanger when I came out of the hotel on the morning of day 2! :sick:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It's been hot in a lot of places this summer. We had high temps of ~90-105 throughout our drive across the east half of Route 66 (Adrian, TX to Chicago, IL). I'm happy to say that my Reische 170' Tstat and my VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E ensured the engine never got about about 180' and IAT2 didn't go beyond ~30' above ambient, even in traffic. Once we got moving, temps always came down to comfortable levels, even when cruising for extended periods between 80 and 100MPH with the A/C on.

Speaking of Route 66 and in keeping with this thread's subject, here are some pics from the trip...
View attachment 1807220View attachment 1807221View attachment 1807222View attachment 1807223View attachment 1807224View attachment 1807225View attachment 1807226View attachment 1807227View attachment 1807228View attachment 1807229

Thank God for ceramic coating and pressure washers, as every day began at a local pay & spray to remove the previous day's bug carnage. The grasshoppers thru NM (getting to the Midpoint) and TX were so bad, I found a bird grazing on the remains in my heat exchanger when I came out of the hotel on the morning of day 2! :sick:
The Reische 170' Tstat makes a big difference, even when it's 110 degrees in AZ, my temps are around 176 to 185. You definitely drive yours way more than I drive mine lol.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member

View attachment 1807220View attachment 1807221View attachment 1807222View attachment 1807223View attachment 1807224View attachment 1807225View attachment 1807226View attachment 1807227View attachment 1807228View attachment 1807229

Amazing pics @Norton. Thank you for sharing your road trip with us!! Im not really surprised how well this unique unicorn performed on the road at these temps.Its an amazing machine and a true real live attest to what these S197 Shelby GT500's are capable of accomplishing when properly modified and maintained. This shelby is a true gem to the community here on SVTP.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The Reische 170' Tstat makes a big difference, even when it's 110 degrees in AZ, my temps are around 176 to 185. You definitely drive yours when more than I drive mine lol.
She turned 39K on the way home. (She was a little over 35K when we left.)
39,000 miles.jpg

I average about 4K miles/year on both my fun cars, combined. The Shelby was my only one from 2013 until 2019, putting her average annual mileage right there. Before this trip, adding the Z06 brought the Shelby's average to about 3.3K/yr. The trip pushed it back to about 3.6K/yr. They're both far from daily drivers, but I bought them to enjoy them.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1807250

I average about 4K miles/year on both my fun cars, combined. The Shelby was my only one from 2013 until 2019, putting her average annual mileage right there. Before this trip, adding the Z06 brought the Shelby's average to about 3.3K/yr. The trip pushed it back to about 3.6K/yr. They're both far from daily drivers, but I bought them to enjoy them.
Battle tested.......road tested.......one bad MF'er in my book!! Dont mess with the unicorn!!!! Lol

Stage 4.6

Established Member
View attachment 1807250

Its great too see people enjoy there cars, I bet you got all kinds of thumbs up on the route. Awesome pics bud.
I drove mine from Arkansas to Colorado none stop (except for gas) last year, when I left it was 105 deg. ran the a/c the entire time car never hiccupped, and man did i have some bugs on the grills.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1807250

How have your matte stripes held up?
Great Pictures

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Excellent pics of the trip Steve! It takes a true car guy to drive halfway across the U.S. & focus on keeping the car clean. It was nearly spotless when we met.
It was great to finally meet you & see the black beauty.
I’m glad the trip went well for you & the wife. I could sense she was into it instead of just along for the ride.
Again, hats off to you for making the trip. Bucket list accomplishment.. Done!

LS WUT

Established Member
So bad ass you did that trip @Norton im so glad I did that Route 66 trip too. Took my GT500, and my black cobra on that trip! A so cool lol, had a few cool cars in our pack.

Attachments

• IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4768.jpeg
    IMG_4768.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4552.jpeg
    IMG_4552.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 63

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Its great too see people enjoy there cars, I bet you got all kinds of thumbs up on the route. Awesome pics bud.
I drove mine from Arkansas to Colorado none stop (except for gas) last year, when I left it was 105 deg. ran the a/c the entire time car never hiccupped, and man did i have some bugs on the grills.
Indeed! We took the Z06 west to Santa Monica last year, so it was only right to take the Shelby east to Chicago. We did, in fact, get a lot of thumbs-up from folks, frequently as we passed them. The other couple with us on the trip were in their 2007 GT500...
20230815_140257.jpg

One especially funny thing that happened, at the Cozy Dog Drive-In (Springfield, IL) was when another customer shook mine and my friend's hands for "driving such awesome cars." The funny part was when he asked me how my friend was lucky enough to have a GT500. I almost felt bad telling him they were BOTH GT500s. :LOL:

How have your matte stripes held up?
Great Pictures
Pretty well, actually. Like the rest of the front clip, they've gotten a little road rash from 39K miles, but I've been pleasantly surprised at their durability. That road rash, and the desire for painted stripes (like @COOL COBRA's, are the reasons I'm strongly considering repainting the car. I need to interview the painters recommended by friends and decide when I'm going to do it...

Excellent pics of the trip Steve! It takes a true car guy to drive halfway across the U.S. & focus on keeping the car clean. It was nearly spotless when we met.
It was great to finally meet you & see the black beauty.
I’m glad the trip went well for you & the wife. I could sense she was into it instead of just along for the ride.
Again, hats off to you for making the trip. Bucket list accomplishment.. Done!
Very kind of you, my friend! Lest there be any doubt about the effort required, I have a couple pics of the bug carnage that I refrained from posting. It was vile! If anyone doubts the value of ceramic coating, let me know - I'll send/post the disgusting pics. I could not believe how well she cleaned-up.

So bad ass you did that trip @Norton im so glad I did that Route 66 trip too. Took my GT500, and my black cobra on that trip! A so cool lol, had a few cool cars in our pack.
Nice! Looks like you spent time at the Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba, MO where we also spent the night - just up the road from the second largest rocker in the world. Arriving late, we didn't get any pics in front of those pumps. :(

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I remember when you posted those pics originally but didn’t realize you had two of your cars on the trip. That would be even better.

LS WUT

Established Member
I remember when you posted those pics originally but didn’t realize you had two of your cars on the trip. That would be even better.
Of course, before my ladyfriend became my ladyfriend she loved the car since the day I bought it. So I told her if she wanted to attend the road trip she had to change the oil on the car herself. She had to learn. She didn’t know at the time I was going to let her take the car and come on the road trip with my family and I. The rest is history, been slowly building that car with her and having her help me modify, and restore it slowly but surely. Just like Winnie the Pooh said “you’ll never know how precious a moment is until it becomes a memory.”

Users who are viewing this thread