Post pictures taken w/ Nikon D40

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a quality camera. I would like to see anything you have taken pictures of with a Nikon D40. How do you like it? Easy to use? Im a noob when it gets into the complicated parts of picture taking, i can usually snap some decent pictures with a regular camera but this one is a little more "to do" than the regular ones you can pick up for $100.

Any help? Comments? Reviews?

4fit?

Established Member
Here are a shit-ton of user groups on Flickr dedicated to the D40. Lots of pics to peruse. My personal opinion is that it is a nice entry level dSLR. It is quite uncomfortable for me to hold as it is a smaller bodied camera and the lack of an AF motor means you are limited to lenses that have an AF motor built into them.

I recommend you go to a store and physically hold a few different cameras. Comfort is very important in a SLR camera. See which ones you like the control placement on and things such as that.

SlowSpecV

Established Member
Here's some of mine. It took me a bit to get used to the DSLR but it's really fun once you get the hang of it.

3784240682_88a7c2a2f4_b.jpg

3783433545_0c14e1da4f_b.jpg

3783432803_491206ba6c_b.jpg

3784238058_4115b292c7_b.jpg

3783427147_68e479aa1b_b.jpg

HDR Editing:

3760083211_e750106d3f_b.jpg

-Alex

Graves

Established Member
Just do yourself a favor and read, research, and actually learn how to use the DSLR.
Don't spend the money on that kind of camera ,set it to "auto", and take snap shots that look JUST like something you could accomplish with a point & shoot.

PowerShiftz02gt

Established Member
I love mine so much. It's so easy to use once you get the hang of it. Learn "M" mode but first just start in "P" mode etc. "M" is when you really understand what shutter, and aperture, exposure are. If you get stuck you can just hit the Question Mark button and it will give you tips one what to do. It's great. and they also have a wondful Display to help the Newbs out. It helped me so much. Without it i would be lost. I mean now i could do without it but when i was first learning it helped me so much. It's really hard to explain the feature that im talking about but you'll know when you get it. it's only like 450.00 on sale. It's the LENS that kill your pocket book.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

hang on let me gather all my favorite pictures i've taken.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
I wouldnt buy an investment like that off ebay, so much crap on there these days... buy used from a local or friend (like me), and or use B&H Photo or Adorama for online.

Great cam, I loved mine but wanted to upgrade. time for fiance to do same so hers (mine) is for sale. She lives in DFW, shoot me a pm and let me know. Here are some pics I took with it.:beer:
DSC_0094-1.jpg

DSC_0091-1.jpg

DSC_0088-1.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

PowerShiftz02gt

Established Member
wow, im a pic whore. sorry... hope this all helps make up your mind. Say learn on the D40. But after 6 months i feel im ready for something better like a D90 or something. But thats only because im getting really serious about this hobby and may go into this as a career possibly. But D40 is great if you aren't going to be a Very Serious professional. here are a couple more...

DSC_0242_3_4444.jpg

DSC_0883-2-2.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0928-2.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0973.jpg

It shoots at night without a flash decently but still a little noisy... I tried to cover it up a little

DSC_1129.jpg

DSC_1087.jpg

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Good links and pics guys. I really want a D40. Then again untill then I can improve with my point and shoot I guess :)

03_SVT

Established Member
Make sure you read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Shoot me a PM with any questions on the topic bro! Feel free and dont worry about bothering at all. The only thing with the D40 if you have rather large hands that might not feel comfortable when holding it since the body is quite small! I have the D90 and my hands are pretty fairly sized, quite big for an 18 year old but nothing too crazy and it feels great in my hands and fits like a glove when I am just walking around without the strap. It feels so nice that I dont even worry that it will fall. Many people choose Nikon over Canon for its ergonomics and buttons are a bit more reasonably placed on the body.

-Franklin

Feel free to PM. Hope I made sense

EDIT: Oh also not having a Auto Focus on the body makes it a bit bothering to myself. It is not hard to learn to focus but it is a nice feature.

Last edited:

silverstang23

Established Member
Its a good DSLR to start with. Your skill level will make great shots, not the camera. Members on this forum can take great photos with any camera that you give them

Users who are viewing this thread