Powerglide or Turbo400??

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
Before I start I bought a 6R80 tranny off a 2014 5.0 but decided to go a different route so I might be selling it. Currently I have a Roush tvs on the stock motor making 654 on the mt82. I'm curious who is running a powerglide with boost and whos running a turbo400 with boost? what is your guy's input on what would be a better choice for me?
thank you guys, and hope someone can help me decide :)

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
The FAST guys will chime in with a better perspective, but I would say... 9 second car 6R80, 8 second car T400, 7 seconds.... oh ya... the glide. I would ask Beefcake or JPC or Hellion or any of the vendors that have used a combination of all of them.

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
6r80 is good but a lot of work for the conversion from wiring to getting a new ECU and then getting it retuned
Might as well go and get a stronger tranny and go faster

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Why not just keep the 6R80? Not to be rude but at 654, you have miles to go before outgrowing that trans. Once you get in the 8's I think that will be the better time to start looking.

My buddy has a T400 in his 1000 wheel turbo/nitrous cobra. The car is ok, but good luck having 100% streetable car. And another friend has a glide in his vette and when we cruise he will have to get it up to 100 or so and kick it in neutral just to keep the car happy.

Justin81

Established Member
Where can I get a turbo400??

JPC does a full T-400 Swap kit. It will have the mod bell, plate etc.. They've done quite a few PG and 400 swaps with success.

Also, I ran a T-400 with a Reverse Manual and Trans brake in my 2valve GT for a long time. The car had a 76mm HEllion kit and made about 670 to the wheels. I drove the car to the track 45 minutes each way and to my tuner who was about 2 hours each way. No big deal with the 3.42 gears

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
What kind of power adder are we talking about and how much power?

That plays a big factor in transmission selection.

We've done TH400, PG, 4R70W, 4L80 and Magnum swaps so whatever transmission you what to go with we can get you everything you need for the swap.

(Yes we offer pre made driveshafts for all of these!)

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
What kind of power adder are we talking about and how much power?

That plays a big factor in transmission selection.

We've done TH400, PG, 4R70W, 4L80 and Magnum swaps so whatever transmission you what to go with we can get you everything you need for the swap.

(Yes we offer pre made driveshafts for all of these!)

it has a roush tvs with a 82mm pully and has 3.73 gears making 654...I'm going to make it a drag car not really a street driven car...went thru 3 mt82 trannys already and I dont feel like doing the wiring for the 6r80, its way too much work. What would you recommend? You guys have some pretty nice set ups.

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
JPC does a full T-400 Swap kit. It will have the mod bell, plate etc.. They've done quite a few PG and 400 swaps with success.

Also, I ran a T-400 with a Reverse Manual and Trans brake in my 2valve GT for a long time. The car had a 76mm HEllion kit and made about 670 to the wheels. I drove the car to the track 45 minutes each way and to my tuner who was about 2 hours each way. No big deal with the 3.42 gears

how'd u like the t-400? a few told me with the right gears the t-400 would work great with the blower.

D1coyote

Established Member
are you on the 4l80e??? I've never seen a coyote with that trans
I've had a full manual 4L80 in my 2011 for over a year and a half now. There are a few others out there as well. I will say that the TH400 is definitely an easier and cheaper route.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
only reason on your setup to not use the 6r80 is if you need a full blown transbrake

at mid 6's, the 6r80 will shine, and may even be quicker than the other options

Justin81

Established Member
how'd u like the t-400? a few told me with the right gears the t-400 would work great with the blower.

I mean, it worked great. Every shift was precise and effortless. Mine had a reverse manual V/B with a transbrake so leaving the line with a lot of boost was awesome. My moto with transmissions is I don't want to know it's there. It's not like the kind of performance part I really want to monitor and maintain. I just want to spend the money, do it once and move on to something else. The T-400 is great for that. If you need a trans that will shift by itself than it may not be best for you. I got used to making the shifts and began to like that better (for that car).

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
I've had a full manual 4L80 in my 2011 for over a year and a half now. There are a few others out there as well. I will say that the TH400 is definitely an easier and cheaper route.

do you like the 4l80e? by th400 is easier what do you mean? and how much roughly are the 4l80e for my car?

Users who are viewing this thread