Powerglide or Turbo400??

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
only reason on your setup to not use the 6r80 is if you need a full blown transbrake

at mid 6's, the 6r80 will shine, and may even be quicker than the other options

with my supercharger (roush tvs) what would you recommend? my plan is to have it be a drag strip car. Plus if i gp with the 6r80 i have, i need to figure out if i need the ecu for my auto or is there an alternative around this where i dont have to mess with the ecu and a ton of that wiring.

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
I mean, it worked great. Every shift was precise and effortless. Mine had a reverse manual V/B with a transbrake so leaving the line with a lot of boost was awesome. My moto with transmissions is I don't want to know it's there. It's not like the kind of performance part I really want to monitor and maintain. I just want to spend the money, do it once and move on to something else. The T-400 is great for that. If you need a trans that will shift by itself than it may not be best for you. I got used to making the shifts and began to like that better (for that car).
true, that automatic shift is always a good thing knowing always gona be shifting on time.

D1coyote

Established Member
do you like the 4l80e? by th400 is easier what do you mean? and how much roughly are the 4l80e for my car?
Yes, I like the 4L80 but mine is full manual. I have to shift every gear. I do not have any type of trans controller for automatics shifts. The TH400 basically bolts up without mods to the tunnel and you can buy a trans cross member. The 4L80 requires extensive mods to get it in the tunnel and I had to custom make a cross member and driveshaft loop. Cost will depend on performance level of trans. It can get very expensive, I suggest you do a little research.

Justin81

Established Member
Beef,

Do you know what's involved in swapping a 6R into a Mt-82 car? I'm sure all the parts are available from the factory 6R equipped car but what about the computer modifications?

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
How cheap can a TH400 be done for compared to a 6r80 conversion on a mt82 car? Must be able to handle say 750rwhp and have transbrake.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Why not beef up the 6R80? Circle D seems pretty confident on their 6R80 when I told them the power my car was going to be making.

Justin81

Established Member
I am going to try to make this an informational post for other who's search it in the future. I make Powerglides and T-400 for Modular Ford cars all the time. JPC is a distributor here and can offer these if you're interested so PM Aaron or Eric. I can not as i'm not an SVTP Vendor i'm just the guy who makes the stuff.

How cheap can a TH400 be done for compared to a 6r80 conversion on a mt82 car? Must be able to handle say 750rwhp and have transbrake.

That answer will depend on what the company charges for the T-400. There are many different people making them and with various parts so that may vary.

If you want a trans to hold 750rwhp-1000rwhp you will need to have a Pro Mod second gear in the 400. That drives the cost up about $800-1000 alone. If you're okay with up to 500-700 rwhp than it will be a much cheaper Turbo 400.

Anyway, once you establish the cost of the transmission (we'll say $2500 for arguments sake 1000rwhp) you can add the cost of the add on's. You will need to figure in the cost of cutting and milling the case to rid of the original GM bell. That's usually around $70. Than add the following

J.W Mod Ford Ultra Bell.
J.W Mod Ford 8 bolt Flexplate with GN Converter bolt circle.
J.W Crank adaptor for Chevy converter pilot to SBF Crank
GM Torque Converter to suit your combo.

At that point you have this

b256dc87-94e9-4eae-b13d-d13da0e3cc39.jpg

Now the goal of getting it into the car will be a driveshaft, crossmember change I think and and new shifter. These are all things that I can't really comment to much on because JPC puts that stuff together in there complete package. Also, I know there are ways around the speedo as a lot of you have asked me about that. I know Evolution can hook that up for certain. Chuck has that all figured out. I wouldn't be surprised if JPC could do it as well but I have never asked them. It's a matter of some wiring changes.

So in short, You'll install the converter into the transmission. Change the Flex plate over and slide the little crank adaptor over the converter end. Bolt the trans and converter into the car. Pull back your converter and bolt it up just like normal. Bolt in your new driveshaft. Than mount your new shifter and hook up the cable and you should be good.

Bud

Established Member
Any concerns of converter drive pressure and thrust bearing issues? If so is that circuit regulated in the transmissions you build for modulars?

Justin81

Established Member
I haven't had any concerns of that. We set the pressure before they leave and don't give the option to regulate it. I work with some X-275 and Ultra guys and we regulate pressure on the return side of the converter for the big power Turbo guys. I'm not a fan of it because it adds complicated line pressure tuning which can make great variances between runs. It also allows for human error to promote Thrust bearing failure.

Users who are viewing this thread