pre ordered the new MGW shifter

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think a lot of us are wanting to hear a review from some someone going from a mgw gen1 to a gen2. Obviously any shifter change over stock will be an improvement.

et9secstang

Established Member
I have the Gen 1 in my car right now, I previously put together a deal for a TH400 and I will be getting it Monday. The auto and 9" will be my winter project, So my Gen 2 showed up last week, I figured I would send it back or sell it, But it looks so dam impressive I want to give it a shot, I said all along that linkage between the trans and shifter sucked, Now MGW changed the game with this shifter, I may just try it??

charged87

Established Member
So far I've been loving the shifter.. but I've been using a stock shifter since I made the switch. My buddy has the gen1 in his 2010 also which I installed and it drove and felt great but this new design is a much more positive feel like driving a terminator or older foxbody with the shifter bolted directly to the trans case. The install wasn't all that bad either, the top bolt for the center arm has just enough room for your hand if you take the cross member off completely and reach up right behind on top . I also just unbolted the front on the driveshaft and swung it out of the way laying on top of the X pipe.

et9secstang

Established Member
I just got the gen 1 out of the car so if all goes well I"ll let you know what I think

charged87

Established Member
I'm very interested in this for my 14!! Can I ask how if you can use existing shifter ball?

No it's a different thread pitch. I just got one from them with the cobra emblem on the side of it. I think it was an extra $35 I paid $462 shipped for mine.

et9secstang

Established Member
Ok shifter is in, I didn't drive the car yet still have some items that I am addressing, but the shifter feels totally different, its a major improvement from the other shifter, when in the gears the shifter barley moves. Hopefully I can do some test hits tonight. I am very pleased so far.

et9secstang

Established Member
I just removed my console and driveshaft, took the bolts out of the trans mount,it wasn't bad

bklynpanman

Established Member
No way I'm removing the driveshaft. God forbid I screw something up. Just assembled my 4 post lift, got under there and it looks like it shouldn't be too bad.

lilredcoupe

Established Member
Ok shifter is in, I didn't drive the car yet still have some items that I am addressing, but the shifter feels totally different, its a major improvement from the other shifter, when in the gears the shifter barley moves. Hopefully I can do some test hits tonight. I am very pleased so far.

Did you have the 1-2 grind or lockout even with the gen 1 MGW?

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I wonder if I call and order, if they can do a different thread pitch...I have an aftermarket shifter ball with a line lock button on it...kinda still want to use it

et9secstang

Established Member
I personally didn't really have a grind, I just hated the sloppy gears, I drive my mach 1 as my daily beater and it shifted better than my Gt500. Now it feels totally different. I didn't go WOT yet , I have to get it out on a main highway.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I just removed a Gen 1 from a customers car and replaced it with a Barton...he loves it. I told him the 1-2 grind was exaggerated by the pos gen1 mgw shifter...now 1-2 shifts like butter. The gen2 sounds promising but Barton is my shifter of choice for the 6060 due to the elimination of the 1-2 grind. Another trick is if your car sits for a week or more pump the clutch pedal a bunch before you go out whacking gears. Ive noticed prolonged sitting affects the clutch/trans engagement and pumping the pedal helps drastically until a few miles are driven.

Last edited:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just removed a Gen 1 from a customers car and replaced it with a Barton...he loves it. I told him the 1-2 grind was exaggerated by the pos gen1 mgw shifter...now 1-2 shifts like butter. The gen2 sounds promising but Barton is my shifter of choice for the 6060 due to the elimination of the 1-2 grind. Another trick is if your car sits for a week or more pump the clutch pedal a bunch before you go out whacking gears. Ive noticed prolonged sitting affects the clutch/trans engagement and pumping the pedal helps drastically until a few miles are driven.

First of all...calling the MGW gen 1 a pos and the Barton so much better is a joke because they essentially copied my design but could not use the adjustable throw factor since it was patented. If your customer had grind issues the throw setting was set too short. Simple as that.

And here is the install video guys...

[video=youtube;JO1tqoGXQ2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1tqoGXQ2g[/video]

George

Users who are viewing this thread