Predator Timing Adjustment

RossGN

Established Member
I'm getting some audible detonation, so I retarded timing 10% and richened fuel 4% just to be safe until I can get to the dyno. My question is, can I make a pull, check A/F, and adjust with Predator b4 my second pull to see the results, or does the computer have to learn the adjustments over time?:??:Just to be sure...scrolling to the left towards "rich" does add fuel...right?

Last edited:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I hate to ask this but i dont think i have ever heard it. what does detonation sound like?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by vector
I hate to ask this but i dont think i have ever heard it. what does detonation sound like?
Sounds like marbles rattling in a can. Like a spray paint can with the marble in it.

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Sounds like marbles rattling in a can. Like a spray paint can with the marble in it.

That's what my wife says about my head....hmm :bash:

Last edited:

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by RossGN
...scrolling to the left towards "rich" does add fuel...right?

Yes, scrolling to the LEFT towards RICH actually ADDS fuel (ignore that it displays "-" negative #'s when you do it).

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by BOOOOST
The +/- 10% scale is based on the total amount of timing. Let's say that you have 25 degrees of timing, then if you add 2% to that, then you're going to only increase your overall timing by about .5 degrees, not 2.

What is the timing set at in the "Performance Tune"?

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
What is the timing set at in the "Performance Tune"?

It depends on load, temp, climate, altitude, etc., but there is approx. 3 more degrees of timing in the Performance tune versus the Pulley tune. You'll probably see anywhere between 25 to 28 degrees of timing in the Performance tune, in the upper rpms, depending. Down low you'll go from the stock timing of around 9 to 11 degrees to around 18 to 20, which will really wake the vehicle up in that area. You'll be able to pull out, add, or go anywhere in between around 2 to 3 degrees of timing overall at WOT using the end user timing settings, on either tune.

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
So the Performance tune has more timing advance than the Pulley tune? Interesting

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
So the Performance tune has more timing advance than the Pulley tune? Interesting

Yes, but why is that interesting, just curious? More boost is definitely going to require less timing, almost always.

DOHC03

Established Member
Does anyone got a good way to mount the predator so they can see it while driving? Also is there a way to turn it off? I'm wondering if its draining my battery.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by DOHC03
Does anyone got a good way to mount the predator so they can see it while driving? Also is there a way to turn it off? I'm wondering if its draining my battery.

To turn it off you just unplug it. It will not drain your battery anymore than listening to your radio with the vehicle not running. I would hope that you do not leave it plugged up 24/7. Only use it when you need to use it. Keep it unplugged and stored away any other time.

As for mounting it, I guess you could strap it to your steering wheel, but that's dangerous. Why would you want to mount it? It datalogs. Just log the information you want, and make some runs, then come back and view it.

DOHC03

Established Member
I know it turns off when its unplugged, I would like to leave it plugged in for now though, just wondering if there was a way to turn it off.

Also there is what looks like a power connector on top. Do I need an ac-dc power supply if I disconnect it and use it on a pc inside the house?

hmwave

Established Member
DON'T strap it to your steering wheel unless you want a Predator for a brain should your air bag activate!

Maybe try what I did with my cell phone.

T-Mobile wanted $100 for a car mount.

Instead I visited Radio Shack, bought a 27c strip of Velcro.
One piece on the dash, one on the cell phone. Problem solved.
The Predator may be too heavy for this though.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by DOHC03
I would like to leave it plugged in for now though, just wondering if there was a way to turn it off.

No, and I still don't understand why in the world you want to leave it plugged in at all times? This makes no sense. It takes everybit of 5 seconds to reach down there and plug it up. And again, why mount it when it datalogs!?!?!

As a long time GM owner, I am disappointed to see that Ford does not have knock retard as a supported parameter on the diagnostic data stream. Does Ford even use a knock sensor to pull timing? This is the best parameter to look at when adding /subtracting timing when tuning yourself. Does anyone know a good way of determining this from the available parameters? Knowing what your advance should be and what is actually is is one way I guess but total advance varies so much depending on other factors.

Users who are viewing this thread