Problem with Mickey Thompson ET Streets

brasscoe

Established Member
Just put on a set of Problem with Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial II 305/35/18s have about 500 miles on them and they look like this:
tire0.jpg
tire1.jpg
Anyone ever experience this? The contact patch is all rough and they don't seem to hook well at all now. Car is an 04 Whipple 3.4 E85 monster, putting down a little under 800rwhp. Thanks.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
i almost want to say that looks like to high air pressure coupled with poor alignment? Do a burn out and see if it will clear them up

Zemedici

Established Member
What psi are you running them at? Also not many tires will hook on the street at 800rwhp

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Too much pressure
Also the tires wont hook unless you warm them up.
This your 1st time with DR?

Bigc6428

Established Member
Mine do the same. It is related to tire spin. Drive conservative (no wheel spin!) for a bit and they will clear right up. A couple short burn outs or even when the tires haze for a bit and it will return. I run mine a 22psi

ctgreddy

Established Member
Most sticky tires look like that when they come off the dyno, wasn't recently on one was it?

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Welcome to having a high hp car. I went through a set of Mickey Thompson street ets in a week once! Dyno session and some fun racing on the street.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
I feel like when the tires start doing that they hook better. You're on a small radial with 800hp, it won't hook on the street

Yulla

SVT Noob
Established Member
Also what gears do you have?

Do you have trouble hooking even at 18-22 psi? 28 seems too high, but at your power level you might benefit from a taller tire with more sidewall. I guess keep lowering the psi and warming them up and see if they hook any better.

brasscoe

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. Here is the car in question if you want all the details: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?954661-**FS-04-Black-quot-CornFed-quot-Vert-800HP-Whipple-BOSS I checked today and it's at 31PSI cold. I lowered it to 28 and have a long trip tomorrow, so I'll try driving with no shenanigans and see if that clears them up. Car has 3.73 gears. First time running Mickeys, but I've gone through sets of NT05s on my other cars and never noticed them look this way. I have 18x10 Saleen repos on it now, I wondered if the NT05 305/45/18's would fit. I would love the extra side wall but was told it wouldn't fit. Anyone ever run that combo? I ran R888s, they lasted about 12k miles but never really hooked until 4th gear.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Also what gears do you have?

Do you have trouble hooking even at 18-22 psi? 28 seems too high, but at your power level you might benefit from a taller tire with more sidewall. I guess keep lowering the psi and warming them up and see if they hook any better.

I'm running 4:10 gears, 4R70W auto, PTC 4600 stall.

This was on my side street which is rough and terrible, it shouldn't even be considered a street. I don't know why we all pay so much in taxes! The skinny tracks were not mine. As you can see traction is still pretty good even with terrible track conditions. If/when it's spinning it's still accelerating rapidly and drives straight as an arrow. This was also with 28 psi as I was driving it around all day long.

http://youtu.be/Q_gRDnLJ7kw

730BC4D0-FD32-4C3A-940B-D2D38B52455F_zpspqrpynvv.jpg

Here's another one, roll from second.

http://youtu.be/dTZXKDxA-0A

And here's one more, it spun a little in first, I pedaled it and then laid back in again. It was pretty cold out that night in Kentucky.

http://youtu.be/eAsnpPMzBHw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread