Props to Southwest and whomever their pilot was at this time!

Common

Established Member
Pilot Stops Plane for Family of Murdered Child

Pilot Stops Plane for Family of Murdered Child

The pilot, informed of the family's loss, had delayed the flight by 12 minutes to allow the man to board. When the man's family thanked the pilot, he, in a line that I'm sure will be delivered in the film version by Jon Hamm, replied only: "They can't go anywhere without me and I wasn't going anywhere without you. Now relax. We'll get you there. And again, I'm so sorry."

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
how did the pilot or the airport personal know about the murder / dead grandson ? if the guy was sitting in security like it says maybe he told them i guess. i still dont think they would have called the gate this all sounds strange.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Am I becoming a hyper-sensitive pussy? Stories like that bring a tear to my eye.

ssssnake

Established Member
Southwest rocks. They've always been my favorite airline.

Ditto. Texas FTW. I like their attitude - humorous, relaxed, rated high (low numbers in accidents and delays), and you get your first two bags free. :pepper:

ez2cyi1

Established Member
I fly Southwest 98% of the year, aside from the occasional trip to a city they don't fly to yet (i.e. Atlanta). Can't wait for them to assume Air Trans routes as well.

Ironhand

Banned
I wonder how the pilot did find out but in any case still give him props for doing a standup job. Hell 12 minutes late now days seems to be the new "on time". Im sure most of the passengers would be more then happy with that wait.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If any pilot on any airline would be allowed to do that, it would be Southwest. They tend to swim in their own stream. Good for him. And a great story.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Stories like this give me hope for the human race. Seriously, how cool is this: "They can't go anywhere without me and I wasn't going anywhere without you. Now relax. We'll get you there. And again, I'm so sorry." That some pilot you dont even know holds the plane for you because he knows that you have already been through sooo much.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
The grandfather made it known as he was checking his bag and trying to get thru security why he HAD to make this flight. He told someone at the ticket counter and they told the gate attendant and crew.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
The grandfather made it known as he was checking his bag and trying to get thru security why he HAD to make this flight. He told someone at the ticket counter and they told the gate attendant and crew.

His wife arranged the tickets for him via phone with Southwest when she explained to the Southwest rep why the trip was being made. She made sure that it was known he couldnt miss the flight.

:read:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Its a shame that we as a country have gone the route of hindering a man from attending his grandson's funeral. But on an additional thought it is great to see someone bucking the system and doing what is right.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Southwest has always been among the highest, if not THE highest, rated in passenger satisfaction for a reason.

Props to them and that pilot. If it were say, United, I bet what you'd be hearing about is how the pilot is being fired for doing what he did.

Users who are viewing this thread