proud new owner of a 2008 GT500

superman112

Established Member
Just wanted to say Hi.. I just got a 2008 Shelby GT500 (black) Came with the C&L CAi and Bassani mufflers. I have only had the car 2 days but Im loving every minute of it. I do have some questions and I hope to get some answers or advise.

1 I have terrible wheel hop now I know Im going to have to change some of the rear suspension. First thing I wanted to do was lower the rear end. I had an 05 GT that I had the Roush rear springs installed. Can I have a set of those installed on the Cobra? Any negatives to doing so and if I change the rear springs is there anything else I need to change?

2. The stock tires are ok but I really want more traction. I used to have the KW2 on the 05 mustang. Is that a good tire to have. I know DR's are probably my best bet but I dont want something that is gonna make me think twice about driving if it rains.

3. The cobra came with the shaker 500 with Navi. Can I play a movie DVD on that? Unfortunatly the car didnt come with the owners manual.

4. My plans are to eventually get a tune and smaller pulley (looking at the Evo packages) should I get the rear suspension done first? I cant imagine how much worse the wheel spin will get with more horsepower. Im getting wheel hop in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd sometimes. I apologize for the long thread. I do hope to get alot of useful info here. This forum seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!!

PS Did I say how much I love my new cobra!!!!

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
My car is still on the stock suspension so I don't have much to offer there. However, the first mod I did to the car when I bought it the car was ditch the crappy F1 tires for KDW2s. This is my 3rd car with the KDW2 and they rock with the GT500. I am not sure you could find better bang for the buck with the KDW2.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Steeda uppers and lowers with springs and adj. panhard bar.

Kostas

Established Member
Congrats on your purchase! I was very skeptical on doing the suspension as i was comcerned of harshness and additional noise, so i ended up doing last. If i was to do it all over again i would not hesitate and do it first. I went with this: GT500 Ultimate Lowering Suspension Package [EVO-Ultimate-Lowering] - $1,775.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts but i kept stock shocks and struts, and i used the Ford racing springs. No more wheel hop, no added noise, ride is excelent, abd handling is great

wickedstangs

Established Member
postpics.gif

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Man......you are going to have sooooo much FUN! Congrats, now start modding!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats on the new car, an get the FRRP SVT handling pack with J&M upper and lower controler arms and adj pan hardbar

TexasShelby

Established Member
1 I have terrible wheel hop now I know Im going to have to change some of the rear suspension. First thing I wanted to do was lower the rear end. I had an 05 GT that I had the Roush rear springs installed. Can I have a set of those installed on the Cobra? Any negatives to doing so and if I change the rear springs is there anything else I need to change?

2. The stock tires are ok but I really want more traction. I used to have the KW2 on the 05 mustang. Is that a good tire to have. I know DR's are probably my best bet but I dont want something that is gonna make me think twice about driving if it rains.

3. The cobra came with the shaker 500 with Navi. Can I play a movie DVD on that? Unfortunatly the car didnt come with the owners manual.

4. My plans are to eventually get a tune and smaller pulley (looking at the Evo packages) should I get the rear suspension done first? I cant imagine how much worse the wheel spin will get with more horsepower. Im getting wheel hop in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd sometimes. I apologize for the long thread. I do hope to get alot of useful info here. This forum seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

Welcome and yes, you do have a great car!!! It's truly a wonderful blank canvas to start with.

To address your issues:

1. Yes the car does have a problem with wheel hop. But first you might think about what you want to do with the car. Drag? Track? Spirited street car?
I can only vouch for what has worked for me, mine is a street car that I drive like I stole it, with that in mind... If you're not planning on going much past 575 horse...What worked perfect for me was installing Steeda "vert" specific springs, BMR lower control arms and an adjustable panhard bar.
The springs give it much better handling and drop that a$$ high silly look, the panhard bar re-centers the rear end from left to right when lowering it and the LCAs stop the wheel hop. If you plan on drag racing a lot or adding more power, then by all means put in a new Upper control arm as well, but I haven't needed it.

Shelby-0308-New-Wheels.jpg

Grabberized-BMR-LCA-and-Pan.jpg

2. I swapped out the 18" GY F1s for the 20" Nitto Invo, got a little more meat to the street and it's ride and traction is great, plus it's a much quieter tire on the road.

3. Can't help you with the nav but...the manuals I can! I'm sure they probably have something for the '08. There is even a place you can get your window sticker from, if you like.
The pic below is what and how the manuals came. Helm Company

dsc_0705110707_1b.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

And don't forget your new warning sticker for pax side visor.

shelbywarningsticker.jpg

4. I'm running the JLT CAI with an EVO tune and love it, about to do the pulley and retune after Christmas, but you're right, do the suspension first, you'll be amazed, and also ready to loose the OEM wheels for something around 10.5 to 11 in the rear to get some meat to the street. :)

Shelby-0308-New-Wheels.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Springs for front and rear are a must. No one likes the 4x4 stance now do they?
Yes Chucky pants, its an adjustable upper.

superman112

Established Member
thanks everyone for the kind words.. Tex.. Im probably going the same kind of route as you.. I doubt I will be getting to a track anytime soon.. I want a "street" beast.. now there are so many choices for LCA's!!! which ones ,adjustable , non adjsutable.. Race or street??? man this is confusing. I'm leaning towrds the Eibach pro kit for starters.. anyone know fi I use the Eibach kit will I need to change anything else? Is there much or a difference in quality between BMR and J&M?? which should I do first? LCA or the springs.. also if and when I do the springs it seems I have to change the panhard bar at the same time right? SOrry for all the questions..I just want to make sure I have all the info needed before I start spending money.

Users who are viewing this thread