Pulling motor, warped head. Plan on leaving trans.in.

follervidez

Established Member
Well guys as the title says I have a warped head. Time to pull out the motor and see the damage. 1st time pulling a motor out so I'd like to go the easiest way possible, I was thinking I could unbolt the trans. And pull motor out. Is it easier to pull everything together? What have you guys done ? Will it be really hard to line back up? Well all this week I'm taking everything off wires, tanks, hoses, disconnect everything and see what's the best option to pull.any help is appreciated

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Brewkett

Established Member
I haven't done an engine pull on the ground, but when I was at the shop, I would either pull trans then engine, or drop the sub frame engine and trans as an assembly. made it easier to drop the hole thing that way. Not sure how I would go about it at home with a cherry picker, probably pull trans first. Would save a lot of aggravation on install.

01yellercobra

Established Member
With the T-56 I dropped the trans then pulled the engine. I pulled from the top.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Drop the trans and pull the motor from the top if your doing it on the ground.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would think that would be rather difficult to do with the rear sump oil pan. I know i had the blower on my motor but it was very difficult to get the motor in, under the cowl, and back far enough for the oil pan to drop down past the k-member. This would be even harder trying to stab the input shaft into the clutch.

I'd drop the transmission.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did mine..straight pull up with a come along..

left trans in car..block of wood held it up..

done solo..

motor is heavy, engine stand needed modification to fit bolts..wide

follervidez

Established Member
Well my work just cranked up the hours I'll be working to 12 hours 6 days a week :/ sooo going to let a shop do my work instead. I want to buy everything before hand. What will I need? Full gasket set, coolant, head bolts? I had a tick..so new seals?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
The tick is typically loose valve seats; basically plan on a full rebuild on the heads.

What indicates the head is warped? Don't see that too much on these heads.

IllCobra

Established Member
I pulled mine out through the top with trans. Do you have headers? If you do, it makes going through the top a little more difficult, but you just gotta unbolt half way through and you're good. However, if i was to do it again, i would drop it through the bottom. Based on videos i've seen, it makes re-installation much easier.
Do you have the DB heads? If you dont, try looking for a set or the better cooling DC heads. And if the money is there, go ahead and ARP everything and get billet oil pump gears.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Well my work just cranked up the hours I'll be working to 12 hours 6 days a week :/ sooo going to let a shop do my work instead. I want to buy everything before hand. What will I need? Full gasket set, coolant, head bolts? I had a tick..so new seals?

I'd wait till the shop tears it down and lets you know what all is needed. The heads probably need new exhaust seats if there's ticking. Sometimes it's valve guide wear. The machine shop will have to tell you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would think about about it..if tick is problem..

cost of labor,plus cost of extra repairs they add..than basic fluids..
this price
you can do whole job solo and your savings would cover the cost of the job..

hate to hear quotes before head work is added...I'm thinking 2 grand.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread