Question about whats the best tranny fluid for my new tremec magnum xl?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Tremec recommends using gm synchro mesh shown here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12345349

I prefer using Amsoil products, so i went to the Amsoil site and searched using a corvette with a Tremec 6060 and they recommend this:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...c-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATFQT-EA

I read the q/a section of tremec's website and its says the following about using synthetic fluid:

Q: Why not use a synthetic fluid?
A: Some brands of synthetic fluid contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, we do not recommend their use. Furthermore, they may void your warranty. For peace of mind, remember that TREMEC conducts all of its OEM validation testing using conventional fluids without issue.

So which fluid is going to be best for my new Tremec magnum?

speedsun

Established Member
I used Amsoil ATF in my old 03 T56. It shifted a little better than what was in there. I then switched to Pennzoil Synchromesh because it was easily available at Advance Auto and it shifted just as good if not better.

Does Tremec recommend doing a break in? And then replacing the fluid. I remember my friend doing that to his tko.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Tech's at Tremec approve the use of Mobil 1 ATF, others have used Red Line D4 with success. Amsoil ATF has worked flawless in every T6060 and T56 I've owned. Many GT500 owners have been using Amsoil ATF in their cars for a very long time with no issues and smoother shifting.

Some info from Tremec has also said Synchromesh is an option.

Last edited:

BUCKET

Established Member
Running cheap fluid for 500miles while braking in clutch then switching to the amsoil sitting on my kitchen counter

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I was actually about to make a thread about this!!!! When I installed my magnum xl I put in gm synchromesh which is the same as pens oil synchromesh. Transmission felt really notchy when cold but when it would heat up shifted like butter. Last Friday I swapped it out for some amsoil ATF and all I can say is night and day difference. With the amsoil ATF it shifts butter smooth hot or cold doesn't matter. This is what the trans should of felt like from the first day I put it on the car. Just my experience. I haven't tried Mobil 1 and I'm not going to amsoil just feels that good.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I was actually about to make a thread about this!!!! When I installed my magnum xl I put in gm synchromesh which is the same as pens oil synchromesh. Transmission felt really notchy when cold but when it would heat up shifted like butter. Last Friday I swapped it out for some amsoil ATF and all I can say is night and day difference. With the amsoil ATF it shifts butter smooth hot or cold doesn't matter. This is what the trans should of felt like from the first day I put it on the car. Just my experience. I haven't tried Mobil 1 and I'm not going to amsoil just feels that good.

Same experience a friend had with his Magnum. He won't use anything else in it.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

How many quarts does the tranny take?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Just ordered 4 quarts of the amsoil sig series atf. i use amsoil in my engine and rear diff as well its great stuff!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Same experience a friend had with his Magnum. He won't use anything else in it.

Yep that's me.. People didn't believe me, but I actually went from RP syncomesh to the Amsoil ATF and I expierenced that very same thing.. Smooth all the time, with the RP it was notchy when cold.. Amsoil FTW!!!:beer:

BMR Tech

I spoke with Don and D&D....and they are running the Redline D4 in all of their personal Tremec vehicles. Don Jr told me that out of all the fluids that they have tested in their high HP road course car (has a Magnum Trans), that the fluid that has enabled them to almost double their amount of laps that they can achieve before opening up the trans, is the D4.

I would do the Amsoil or Redline.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I spoke with Don and D&D....and they are running the Redline D4 in all of their personal Tremec vehicles. Don Jr told me that out of all the fluids that they have tested in their high HP road course car (has a Magnum Trans), that the fluid that has enabled them to almost double their amount of laps that they can achieve before opening up the trans, is the D4.

I would do the Amsoil or Redline.

Red Line D4 is excellent stuff. I used it in a 99' Trans Am T56 years ago, long before my Amsoil days. The shifts were butter smooth.

You can't go wrong with either fluid. :rockon:

Any significant difference in the Sig series ATF and the Torque drive atf?

Amsoil techs obviously would not give me details, but TD has different additives in it for different transmission types. I'd stick to normal Amsoil ATF.

Last edited:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
We usually run Mobil one ATF

Redline makes a great product as well. The only Amsoil i have tired is their Synco Mesh which like Ryan said can make the trans feel notchy.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The only Amsoil i have tired is their Synco Mesh which like Ryan said can make the trans feel notchy.

I would never run syncromesh in a Tremec for the reasons stated in this thread. The transmission was designed for ATF.

I tried RP Synchromesh years ago in my 99' Trans Am, that was a mistake. Transmission shifted like crap always.

mhyjek

Established Member
I would never run syncromesh in a Tremec for the reasons stated in this thread. The transmission was designed for ATF.

I tried RP Synchromesh years ago in my 99' Trans Am, that was a mistake. Transmission shifted like crap always.
How about redline ATF type f?

Users who are viewing this thread