Quotas?!

Jenkins

Established Member
Ok I was wandering if there was such a thing as quotas. Cause it seems there are certain parts of the year when they have every one out sitting on the side of the road with there lasers checking everyone. Now I could be wrong but it just really seems that way I guess sometimes. Thanks.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Not all places have em, but they are definitely out there. If anyone tells you that quotas don't exist at all they are straight BSing you.

Jenkins

Established Member
If so that is kinda wrong cause a officer would have the option of getting in trouble with there boss or give out a lot of tickets.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Quotas are not out there. Are there certain times/days when officers are encouraged to be more visible and active? Absolutely. A supervisor is ALWAYS going to tell his/her subordinate that they need to issue more tickets. Can then tell them what number they are required to write of a certain type of violation? NO! That is setting a quota, and that is federally illegal. Nicer weather will probably bring more officers out, we enjoy the nice weather too.

silver03svt

Established Member
Okay. Biting the bullet here and I will restate my first post, not edit it to hide what I said. Quotas should not be out there. In the case you posted, it was not a Department mandated quota, but solely one set by a superior officer in a specific area. It was not supported by the LAPD. And the fact that the lawsuit was won by the officers supports the fact that quotas are illegal.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Supervisors always on us to write more tickets, but we don't have quotas. I've worked for 2 agencies now and never heard of one, plus they are illegal.

wesessiah

Established Member
as stated by others, they are illegal. you may see a higher presence of officers during campaigns, but it doesn't mean x amount of citations need to be written. something like north carolina's governer's highway safety program/click it or ticket.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Not a quota per se, but ALOT of smaller towns rely on the ticket income and set speed traps to rake in as much income as they can.

silver03svt

Established Member
Not a quota per se, but ALOT of smaller towns rely on the ticket income and set speed traps to rake in as much income as they can.

This is true. City of Emporia, VA is one. City of Hopewell, VA is another. They both have busy interstates that run through them, and the local officers sit and write just about anything that is speeding.

jbs$

Established Member
I have never understood why small towns are allowed to practice buccaneering with a badge on the interstate highways that just happen to come through them. It is stealing from the public just like a highway bandit of 150 years ago, no difference.

wesessiah

Established Member

i'm a friend of the guy that owns a body shop local to us that said he knows you, lol. didn't want to mention his name because of how he likes to remain anonymous/secretive.

Poppacapp

Established Member
This is true. City of Emporia, VA is one. City of Hopewell, VA is another. They both have busy interstates that run through them, and the local officers sit and write just about anything that is speeding.

Yep.. I remember Emporia. Used to drive through there every other weekend on my way to Newport News to see the ex-wife(then just gf before she moved to NC)

Poppacapp

Established Member
i'm a friend of the guy that owns a body shop local to us that said he knows you, lol. didn't want to mention his name because of how he likes to remain anonymous/secretive.

I sent an anonymous/secretive PM :lol1:

Poppacapp

Established Member
I have never understood why small towns are allowed to practice buccaneering with a badge on the interstate highways that just happen to come through them. It is stealing from the public just like a highway bandit of 150 years ago, no difference.

Well... honestly.. I wouldn't classify it as stealing... I mean if they write you a ticket for speeding... then you were speeding. They just don't cut as much slack as other officers might. I know a couple state troopers who mentioned they did not worry about ticketing a speeder unless they were about 12mph or more over the limit. I guess it is up to each officer.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I always heard 8 you skate 9 your mine. for a speeding guide line lol

Meh.. depends on the officer I guess. I have always driving 9 over the limit when cruising on the highway. Have not been stopped yet.

wesessiah

Established Member
at my department everyone is different, but the typical range is 9-15 over, and that doesn't necessarily mean citation... and of course it does depend on the location. you tend to see a big difference in officer discretion between younger and older officers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread