Quotas?!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
at my department everyone is different, but the typical range is 9-15 over, and that doesn't necessarily mean citation... and of course it does depend on the location. you tend to see a big difference in officer discretion between younger and older officers as well.

I work for a non appropriated fund agency and any monies generated by citations written to not come back to our agency.

Beyond the fact that some people in fact deserve citations, and are therefore encouraged when warranted, we have no quotas.

wesessiah

Established Member
edit: nevermind, some people will just piss and moan about what this response said.

but, i agree Lt. some people deserve them, and other people it just wouldn't help anything with.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
This is true. City of Emporia, VA is one. City of Hopewell, VA is another. They both have busy interstates that run through them, and the local officers sit and write just about anything that is speeding.

I watched the Emporia PD pull an unmarked police car for speeding:). That was probably an interesting conversation.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
as stated by others, they are illegal. you may see a higher presence of officers during campaigns, but it doesn't mean x amount of citations need to be written. something like north carolina's governer's highway safety program/click it or ticket.

younger age wise? or younger on the force?

to be honest I have been given a ton of tickets, esp. in VA where I lived for 30 years. When I left there I had 11 points on my license and that was AFTER taking the safe driver class that took five points off. I drive with a heavy foot but generall not a stupid heavy foot.

In all the time I have been driving I have met two cops that I absolutely couldn't stand, one gave me a ticket that while deserved he was a totall ass about it and then tried to make nice by trying to talk to be aobut my car. I wasn't buying it. the other gave me a ticket on Federal property that I didn't deserve but that is a whole nother story.

bottom line I deserved most of my tickets and 99% of the cops that gave them to me were stand up guys and I would buy any one of them a beer if I ever saw them in a bar. all this hype about quotas and shit is just that .. HYPE. there are a few places like Emporia around the country but they are really few and far between.

wesessiah

Established Member
younger age wise? or younger on the force?

good observation... i shouldn't have said necessarily older vs younger. newer officers tend to be more gungho with charges than a more experienced officer in any given situation. not signing your registration card in nc is a misdemeanor (for some reason) and i've never seen a more experienced officer even write someone for it, but newer guys i have. more experienced guys will hardly ever pull someone for a burnt out tail light, whereas it's the backbone of a lot of the less experienced guys traffic stop resume. of course you have the two lines of thought on that last one... "why give someone a charge when they're already having to pay for a new light?" and "some of my best stops have come from a tail light."

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
good observation... i shouldn't have said necessarily older vs younger. newer officers tend to be more gungho with charges than a more experienced officer in any given situation. not signing your registration card in nc is a misdemeanor (for some reason) and i've never seen a more experienced officer even write someone for it, but newer guys i have. more experienced guys will hardly ever pull someone for a burnt out tail light, whereas it's the backbone of a lot of the less experienced guys traffic stop resume. of course you have the two lines of thought on that last one... "why give someone a charge when they're already having to pay for a new light?" and "some of my best stops have come from a tail light."
if they can't keep their car in good working order they deserve a ticket. hopefully a fix it ticket but a ticket non the less

and that is what I suspected you meant. Young guns have to go out and prove themselves and sometimes they can get a bit over zealous in trying to do that.

wesessiah

Established Member
if they can't keep their car in good working order they deserve a ticket. hopefully a fix it ticket but a ticket non the less

and that is what I suspected you meant. Young guns have to go out and prove themselves and sometimes they can get a bit over zealous in trying to do that.

not that more experienced guys won't get out with minor things... but a written warning tends to be more likely than a citation, and probably won't pull the "i see you haven't signed your registration card, and the tread on your tires is low... here's three citations." to a single parent with two kids and working two jobs, it's a big deal. i work at a smaller department where most are getting closer to retirement age, or a couple years in, without that much in between, so i see the two ends of the spectrum.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I work for a non appropriated fund agency and any monies generated by citations written to not come back to our agency.

Beyond the fact that some people in fact deserve citations, and are therefore encouraged when warranted, we have no quotas.

Same here, we get nothing, courts get most. The rest goes to funds set by the State.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
There definitely is in my county, the sheriff was straight up about it and at the end of the month you can see the revenuers (I would not want to call them police, sheriff or law enforcement) hanging around all over the place trying to get the numbers in, same with the small towns. The easiest way to do this is with speed taxation instead of stopping clowns that don't use turn signals, run stop lights, loose commercial loads, speed through school zones, fail to yield to emergency vehicles and what not. Sort of disappointing really, the accident causers get away because of the ease of which to write speeding tickets.
At the end of the month it's like stepping on an ant hill around here, at least most of the sheriffs are decent about it.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
I cannot speak for other states, but this time of year in PA we have a lot of grant money floating around from penndot for the "smooth operator" program. The program pays cops reimbursable OT to go out and make traffic stops for aggressive driving violations. It specifically does not mandate that citations be issued, but it does mandate that each officer on the detail have a minimum of three "traffic contacts" per hour. These contacts must be logged in our unit history as proof. As a result of this program there are a lot of cops out doing traffic enforcement.

Sent from my sharona

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I cannot speak for other states, but this time of year in PA we have a lot of grant money floating around from penndot for the "smooth operator" program. The program pays cops reimbursable OT to go out and make traffic stops for aggressive driving violations. It specifically does not mandate that citations be issued, but it does mandate that each officer on the detail have a minimum of three "traffic contacts" per hour. These contacts must be logged in our unit history as proof. As a result of this program there are a lot of cops out doing traffic enforcement.

that sounds like a reasonable program, tickets and the unreal increase in insurance is way out of control, it shouldn't be up to the traffic officer to decide the fate or the violator, illegal is illegal, but the hidden cost is terrific and most middle class working slobs are getting beat to death in taxes already, so I understand traffic officers giving people a break.

Poppacapp

Established Member

Yeah, I think with the newer guys, the tailight is their probable cause for a pullover, and hope the driver gives consent to a search and they maybe get a big bust out of it for rep etc. I myself.. I have zero illegal items in my car, but out of principle would never consent to a search of my vehicle.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Proactive, My son got a part time job during the summer a while back and got pulled over 27 times for what "appeared" to be a tag light out. The tag light worked perfect. He asked me one Saturday morning if he could drive my truck since his tips were sucking due to late Pizza delivery and I said yes lets check the lights and they worked then guess what he got pulled over by the same guy that had pulled him 16 of those 27 for the same reason "it appeared your tag light was out" Oh by the way he worked on that base during the day as a life guard from 14 to 22 years of age and has several medals for saving a man that drowned while he was working ID and got called to the deck. I do not know who puts the pressure on but pretty sure it is there in most places to perform. "Note I did not say quota" and this rant was inspired by Poppacapp :)

Last edited:

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Emporia, VA

This is true. City of Emporia, VA is one. City of Hopewell, VA is another. They both have busy interstates that run through them, and the local officers sit and write just about anything that is speeding.

This is true for sure :) and the locations are accurate :)

wesessiah

Established Member
Yeah, I think with the newer guys, the tailight is their probable cause for a pullover, and hope the driver gives consent to a search and they maybe get a big bust out of it for rep etc. I myself.. I have zero illegal items in my car, but out of principle would never consent to a search of my vehicle.

it amazes me how easily most people allow a search. it's like people think "if i say yes he'll think i don't have anything to hide and not bother to actually search."

Poppacapp

Established Member
where i work there are no quotas, but we have " performance objectives" that are expected to be met

Yeah, I can bet the bosses dont want an officer just sitting somewhere doing nothing all day. They expect them to work a little too. :)

Friend of mine with local city police used to drive a Fox Body patrol car back when they ran them. Got to go on a ride-along with him one day... Pretty fun experience. He was a dog though... if he saw a pretty female driver, he would run the tag to see if there was a man's name on the registration or just hers. If just hers he would find a way to talk to her. :)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Proactive, My son got a part time job during the summer a while back and got pulled over 27 times for what "appeared" to be a tag light out. The tag light worked perfect. He asked me one Saturday morning if he could drive my truck since his tips were sucking due to late Pizza delivery and I said yes lets check the lights and they worked then guess what he got pulled over by the same guy that had pulled him 16 of those 27 for the same reason "it appeared your tag light was out" Oh by the way he worked on that base during the day as a life guard from 14 to 22 years of age and has several medals for saving a man that drowned while he was working ID and got called to the deck. I do not know who puts the pressure on but pretty sure it is there in most places to perform. "Note I did not say quota" and this rant was inspired by Poppacapp :)
i and zero sense you made

Planter

Banned
Nicer weather will probably bring more officers out, we enjoy the nice weather too.

man, they have been all over the place around here lately. somehow I've gotten lucky like 3-4 times in a row.

coming back from my mom and dad's the other week I was cruising at 95 mph in a 70 on 840, and was with a bunch of other traffic speeding too, trooper on the right hand side of the road facing us, and we all went past him and he didn't even blink. :dw: Musta been sleepin' or something.

went past another one doing 85 on Wednesday, and he pulled out about 20 seconds after I passed him, and thought crap, I'm screwed. ended up going past me and got off at an exit about 8 miles down. :shrug:

and a few weeks before that, I went past one doing about 83 in a 70, and he started to pull out from the median, backed up and turned around and went the other way on the highway. :shrug:

I couldn't believe my luck. haven't had a ticket for speeding since 2008, but thought I was nailed each of those three times.

but the past 2-3 weeks, I have seen a crapload of troopers, county and city cops everywhere around here. it's been nuts.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
I always heard 8 you skate 9 your mine. for a speeding guide line lol

depends on what the city DA will prosecute as well, remember that. ours wont look at anything under 10MPH over.

Users who are viewing this thread