Quotas?!

Im1livewire

Established Member
Where I live they don't have quotas they have "goals." Cops are always out like crazy at the end of the month.

This reminds me of the informal Traffic Division saying at my old PD: "We don't have quotas. I can scratch (write) as many cites as I want."

When you have a Division specifically designed and dedicated for traffic enforcement within a metro PD, you be the judge on goals/quotas/expectations for cites per shift.

'Nuff said!

Blaine

Established Member
Not a quota per se, but ALOT of smaller towns rely on the ticket income and set speed traps to rake in as much income as they can.

I have a quota of TEARS I like to reach. :poke: I feed on their salty taste.

it amazes me how easily most people allow a search. it's like people think "if i say yes he'll think i don't have anything to hide and not bother to actually search."

Thin line here. Careful. If the officer has probable cause to assume your hiding something he'll get a order to search your car and waste your time for another hour on the side of the road. BUt as stated.. it is funny how many people consent to the search and they have drugs in their car. /facepalm Same applies to a Polygraph exam... they really do think they can fool the test.

I always ask for a consent to search, but guess what? If I'm asking.....I'm doing the search the EASY way or the HARD way regardless.

Last edited:

wesessiah

Established Member

Thin line here. Careful. If the officer has probable cause to assume your hiding something he'll get a order to search your car and waste your time for another hour on the side of the road. BUt as stated.. it is funny how many people consent to the search and they have drugs in their car. /facepalm Same applies to a Polygraph exam... they really do think they can fool the test.

I always ask for a consent to search, but guess what? If I'm asking.....I'm doing the search the EASY way or the HARD way regardless.

i'm an officer, so i'm saying it from that point of view.

Poppacapp

Established Member

Probable cause for a warrant is not "you have a feeling" they are hiding something. If someone says no to you, I assume you feel like they MUST be hiding something? Good luck with that. Officers with that kind of attitude tend to not retire as an officer.

There are no quotas...

There are however, an unlimited number of law breakers...

Point being that if you go 1mph over the limit, you can be written for it, if we're just looking at moving violations as an example.

You need to have some productivity on your shifts...especially if traffic duty is your detail for the day.

Blaine

Established Member
Probable cause for a warrant is not "you have a feeling" they are hiding something. If someone says no to you, I assume you feel like they MUST be hiding something? Good luck with that. Officers with that kind of attitude tend to not retire as an officer.

I'm talking about the driver is stoned. Weed smell rolling from the car... there has to a reason. Someone who doesn't smoke weed can smell it from a mile away. The air freshners don't hide the smell. As I stated above, "Probable Cause."

Not just because I feel like searching a car. Really... I don't want to spend extra time searching a car for the FUN of it.

I've been in the game for over 12 years. If I'm called to the scene. The gig is up. Your in Felony territory and Probable Cause was long met.

Last edited:

Cbarr300

Established Member
I've been pretty lucky. About 6 years ago I got pulled in my 95 cobra. he clocked me at 75 in a 45. I was a young and dumb 18 year old. The officer got all my stuff and went to his car for 20 mins. Came back with a warning for 54 in a 45 and told me to be careful. A little respect can go a long way.

Coming from Charleston, SC to camp lejeune I got pulled by a state trooper on 17 for going 70 in a 60. I usually leave my cover on my dash so I don't lose it haha. He saw it and told me he made that trip several times and it's a four hour drive going up there either way. As soon as I saw him I looked at my speedo and said fml. Pulled over before he got his lights on.

Again, respect goes a long way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
I'm talking about the driver is stoned. Weed smell rolling from the car... there has to a reason. Someone who doesn't smoke weed can smell it from a mile away. The air freshners don't hide the smell. As I stated above, "Probable Cause."

Not just because I feel like searching a car. Really... I don't want to spend extra time searching a car for the FUN of it.

I've been in the game for over 12 years. If I'm called to the scene. The gig is up. Your in Felony territory and Probable Cause was long met.

I can agree with what you said. But let me ask you this. Just because a driver is under the influence, does that give automatic cause to search the vehicle if nothing is in plain sight? Say they were at a party..got drunk and drove. Does he give his rights up to deny a vehicle search just because he is drunk? I personally would never drive under the influence nor do I have anything illegal... so there would be no cause to ask me to search my vehicle. But if the particular officer was trying to search for the sake of searching, he would be denied access. And I assume for him to get a search warrant, he would have to provide some sort of concrete probable cause.

Of course I have also heard of k9 officers indicating their dog "hit" on a vehicle when they really didnt, just to be able to search. But like anything, there will be bad apples.

On another note..be safe out there. Too many idiots floating around. :beer:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I can agree with what you said. But let me ask you this. Just because a driver is under the influence, does that give automatic cause to search the vehicle if nothing is in plain sight? Say they were at a party..got drunk and drove. Does he give his rights up to deny a vehicle search just because he is drunk? I personally would never drive under the influence nor do I have anything illegal... so there would be no cause to ask me to search my vehicle. But if the particular officer was trying to search for the sake of searching, he would be denied access. And I assume for him to get a search warrant, he would have to provide some sort of concrete probable cause.

Of course I have also heard of k9 officers indicating their dog "hit" on a vehicle when they really didnt, just to be able to search. But like anything, there will be bad apples.

On another note..be safe out there. Too many idiots floating around. :beer:

If a driver is arrested for DUI, then two scenarios could apply:

1. Search incident to arrest (impacted by a recent USSC decision)
  2. Vehicle impoundment (LE would inventory contents of the vehicle prior to towing)

For a non-arrest/impound incident, there are other methods which legally allow an officer to search the interior of a vehicle without consent or a warrant (motor vehicle exception rule).

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I cannot speak for other states, but this time of year in PA we have a lot of grant money floating around from penndot for the "smooth operator" program. The program pays cops reimbursable OT to go out and make traffic stops for aggressive driving violations. It specifically does not mandate that citations be issued, but it does mandate that each officer on the detail have a minimum of three "traffic contacts" per hour. These contacts must be logged in our unit history as proof. As a result of this program there are a lot of cops out doing traffic enforcement.

Sent from my sharona
I sang your SIG. Lol

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Yeah, I think with the newer guys, the tailight is their probable cause for a pullover, and hope the driver gives consent to a search and they maybe get a big bust out of it for rep etc. I myself.. I have zero illegal items in my car, but out of principle would never consent to a search of my vehicle.

A lot of the rookie guys see the experienced guys getting guns/drugs from searching cars and want in on the action so they will ask to search any vehicle without knowing what they are doing. If you have nothing illegal in the car simply saying no is fine.

TMIProducts

Established Member
Yeah, I think with the newer guys, the tailight is their probable cause for a pullover, and hope the driver gives consent to a search and they maybe get a big bust out of it for rep etc. I myself.. I have zero illegal items in my car, but out of principle would never consent to a search of my vehicle.

I remember early August, I drove across the country with my 18 year old brother from Florida to Nevada. All was fine until about 20 miles from the Arizona/ Nevada line. I was doing 76-70. ( 2012 Ford Focus Rental Car)

Got pulled over, guy looked to be roughly 23ish. Asked me why I know he stopped. I was completely honest. " Yessir, I may have been doing a little over the speed limit. I've driven almost 2500 miles, and I was getting a little anxious to finally arrive at my destination"

Guy seemed cool. Takes my information goes to the car. ( Mind you, it's been FIVE years since I've received even a parking violation, insurance was good, not even a misdemeanor on my record no issues what-so-ever)

He comes back to the car, and this is where the fun starts.

He started asking me Where I was going yadda yadda yadda. Told him I Was moving across country to be with family...

Then all of a sudden tells me and my brother he wants to search the car. At that moment I was like "Wtf" Because I wouldn't think 6 over, with a clean record would warrant that. But I just said yes, because I knew if I said no I would probably just be waiting for even longer ( I've been told by some people sometimes it's just easier to say yes)

He then proceeds to pull EVERYTHING out of the car, pulls the clothes out of my suitcases ( which were in the trunk, not in sight), even looks inside my Mcdonalds bag, etc.. Had to take my shoes and socks off on an August day in Arizona, and stand on the hot asphalt. He did the same to my brother also. Took about an hour or so for him to search the entire car.

I'm not mad at him at all what-so-ever it's his job I understand that, but it seemed like you said he wanted to find something. He said the main reason was, two younger guys on the other side of the country in a rental car.

Oh well. He ended up just giving me a warning and let me on my way.

-Jared

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
I remember early August, I drove across the country with my 18 year old brother from Florida to Nevada. All was fine until about 20 miles from the Arizona/ Nevada line. I was doing 76-70. ( 2012 Ford Focus Rental Car)

Got pulled over, guy looked to be roughly 23ish. Asked me why I know he stopped. I was completely honest. " Yessir, I may have been doing a little over the speed limit. I've driven almost 2500 miles, and I was getting a little anxious to finally arrive at my destination"

Guy seemed cool. Takes my information goes to the car. ( Mind you, it's been FIVE years since I've received even a parking violation, insurance was good, not even a misdemeanor on my record no issues what-so-ever)

He started asking me Where I was going yadda yadda yadda. Told him I Was moving across country to be with family...

Then all of a sudden tells me and my brother he wants to search the car. At that moment I was like "Wtf" Because I wouldn't think 6 over, with a clean record would warrant that. But I just said yes, because I knew if I said no I would probably just be waiting for even longer ( I've been told by some people sometimes it's just easier to say yes)

He then proceeds to pull EVERYTHING out of the car, pulls the clothes out of my suitcases ( which were in the trunk, not in sight), even looks inside my Mcdonalds bag, etc.. Had to take my shoes and socks off on an August day in Arizona, and stand on the hot asphalt. He did the same to my brother also. Took about an hour or so for him to search the entire car.

I'm not mad at him at all what-so-ever it's his job I understand that, but it seemed like you said he wanted to find something. He said the main reason was, two younger guys on the other side of the country in a rental car.

-Jared

And I would have enjoyed telling him no he could not search my vehicle. Its times like this one that gives some officers a bad rap. He was a bad apple.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

-Jared

Next time just say no. I always say no. I have nothing to hide but still don't want to be hassled on the side of the road

(And yes, even being an LEO I've had an interdiction unit ask me to search.) he called a K9 unit when I said no, he's like "you're a Cop you should have nothing to hide, why can't I search your car?" I told him I didn't want all my shit strewn on the side of the road and I was tired.

TMIProducts

Established Member
Next time just say no. I always say no. I have nothing to hide but still don't want to be hassled on the side of the road

(And yes, even being an LEO I've had an interdiction unit ask me to search.) he called a K9 unit when I said no, he's like "you're a Cop you should have nothing to hide, why can't I search your car?" I told him I didn't want all my shit strewn on the side of the road and I was tired.

Yeah, I had just driven across the country. I was ready to actually sleep in a bed.

Last thing I wanted to do, was wait for K9 unit, or a supervisor, and etc etc. When he said he was going to search I assumed it would be like one time when I was 19 and got searched.

They pat me down, barely looked through the car and sent me on my way when it was blatantly obvious I had nothing to hide. Not this guy..

The WORST part was him having everything all over the side of the interstate, and even ripped open a few garbage bags I had stuff in and then telling me " you can put it all back up now " I was like... Really man. I had to just throw the stuff all over the trunk instead of in a bag now

I mean I can understand if I was acting wrong. But I'm the type that I pull right over, ignition off, hands on steering wheel, keys on dash.

Oh well. I'm just the type of person where I try to assume if I give respect to an LEO I will get it back.

-Jared

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread