RAM TRX debut

blk02edge

Established Member
And what.

Did he increase the ride hight of the vehicle, or did he not?

He said "Mid Travel", that implies aftermarket upper control arms to correct camber/caster from increasing the ride hight via Coil or Spacer.

I specifically asked what exactly he did to the truck.

I then explained why a manufacturer would not go that route. Sorry but I actually have worked for OEMs and was even part of the Gen 2 H2 development before Hummer was killed off.

Something like 37" tires...

Does the existing tire cell accommodate the size? Will it fit on the convair system? Will facility changes be needed? How many fit in a trailer compared to 35's? How many more trailer shipments per year will now be needed?

How long does it take to balance? Adding another 15 seconds per tire, x5 per truck and how many Raptors a year, 20k? So that's an extra 1.15 hours per day of balancing.

A 35 is $302/ea listed, 37 is $360, that's $6M a year.

How many more will fail balance? H2 we ran 120 trucks a day and saw 5-10 a week scrapped for balance failures. A 37 is going to be a % increase in rejection for OEM standards. So now your scrap and productivity will go to shit.

As for roll over and crash testing, again, you've changed the ride height. Even if you didn't lift the truck, you are still at least an inch higher. How will that impact a side crash/roll, how is that going to impact braking distance (added rotating mass), will the bumper need to be dropped? Will headlight height still comply?

Will tires contact on up compression? On and on and on...

Shit enthusiasts deal with and accept will not pass the scrutiny of lawyers, bean counters and engineers.
Did you miss the part where Ford is playing with 37's for the Bronco?

Mid travel does not in any way shape or form mean adding lift, can it be a byproduct of more preload? Yes, but a mid travel kit can also be lower... How are you creating more rollover risk with a mid travel kit? How does Dodge get away with things like the Demon?

You say a lot of words to try and sound knowledgeable on the offroad subject... But you are not.

I get that an OEM can not build a full blown offroad truck but what they did with the TRX was hardly even an effort.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you miss the part where Ford is playing with 37's for the Bronco?

And what?

Mid travel does not in any way shape or form mean adding lift, can it be a byproduct of more preload? Yes, but a mid travel kit can also be lower...

Clearly YOUR definition of "Mid Travel" is not in alignment with the rest of the industry.

How are you creating more rollover risk with a mid travel kit?

Already answered.

How does Dodge get away with things like the Demon?

Fun fact, Dodge sends the widebody cars out to an up fitter. It's part of the reason we saw delays with the HC Widebody.

You say a lot of words to try and sound knowledgeable on the offroad subject... But you are not.

And you say absolutely nothing.

I get that an OEM can not build a full blown offroad truck but what they did with the TRX was hardly even an effort.

Okay, sure thing sport. Tell us again about what an expert you are.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
1E6DE9FF-04FE-4E6C-9128-14A99FAF15F8.jpeg

blk02edge

Established Member
And what?

Clearly YOUR definition of "Mid Travel" is not in alignment with the rest of the industry.

Already answered.

Fun fact, Dodge sends the widebody cars out to an up fitter. It's part of the reason we saw delays with the HC Widebody.

And you say absolutely nothing.

Okay, sure thing sport. Tell us again about what an expert you are.
-Let's see your built offroad truck...
-Let's hear your definition of mid travel.
-no, you haven't explained what mid travel is, you said lift, please explain where this lift is coming from

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
-Let's see your built offroad truck...
-Let's hear your definition of mid travel.
-no, you haven't explained what mid travel is, you said lift, please explain where this lift is coming from
Already answered and what does your stupid Ranger have to do with if an OEM is going to choose to run 37's or run uni-balls?

blk02edge

Established Member
Already answered and what does your stupid Ranger have to do with if an OEM is going to choose to run 37's or run uni-balls?
If you already answered it, please, be a pal and explain it again.

What my Ranger had to do with the conversation was... It's not un streetable at all with literally double the suspension travel, full heims and zero sway bars. Therefore your theory of impossible to go beyond what Ford and Dodge did is absolutely incorrect considering my budget vs OEM design budgets.

The 37's was never really part of my debate, I just said your talking points on them was false as it's already being done by an OEM with a smaller truck

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If you already answered it, please, be a pal and explain it again.

What my Ranger had to do with the conversation was... It's not un streetable at all with literally double the suspension travel, full heims and zero sway bars. Therefore your theory of impossible to go beyond what Ford and Dodge did is absolutely incorrect considering my budget vs OEM design budgets.
Plenty of guys run street driven Twin Turbo Coyotes... Why oh why won't Ford sell one!!

Clearly you don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to actually building and selling trucks in the contexts of a commercial business.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that you admitting you have no damn clue what mid travel is?? Hahaha
No, that's me calling you a troll.

You got outted and instead of wanting to discuss the TRX, Raptor and why the OEMs made the compromises they did, you want to banter back and forth on what constitutes "mid-travel", it's self, a made up term.

kaz109

Established Member
Is that you admitting you have no damn clue what mid travel is?? Hahaha

I can admit I don't know what it is....explain it to me because the kit I am looking into has me confused. It also has me confused that @Corbic said in an earlier post that the long travel kit for a raptor only yields 15 inches of travel but I have found a mid travel kit that yields 16-17 inches of travel

Users who are viewing this thread