RAM TRX debut

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
If you already answered it, please, be a pal and explain it again.

What my Ranger had to do with the conversation was... It's not un streetable at all with literally double the suspension travel, full heims and zero sway bars. Therefore your theory of impossible to go beyond what Ford and Dodge did is absolutely incorrect considering my budget vs OEM design budgets.

The 37's was never really part of my debate, I just said your talking points on them was false as it's already being done by an OEM with a smaller truck

You’re comparing your Ranger with a nearly 100k truck that’s supposed to ride like a Caddy and still be capable off road. I find it ironic you mentioned the heims, which often cause noise and vibration issues that are overlooked for an off-road vehicle but would never pass in a expensive do it all driver. Not to mention the fact that unless something has changed, they’re not legal and won’t pass inspection in several states. Considering they have to be at least 48 state legal, that’s a no go.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
No, that's me calling you a troll.

You got outted and instead of wanting to discuss the TRX, Raptor and why the OEMs made the compromises they did, you want to banter back and forth on what constitutes "mid-travel", it's self, a made up term.
Where did I get outted? I'm the one still waiting to hear what mid travel is...

Ya know, not like I've built them or long travel trucks before...

kaz109

Established Member
So mid travel and long travel is just a term with no real definition?

blk02edge

Established Member
You’re comparing your Ranger with a nearly 100k truck that’s supposed to ride like a Caddy and still be capable off road. I find it ironic you mentioned the heims, which often cause noise and vibration issues that are overlooked for an off-road vehicle but would never pass in a expensive do it all driver. Not to mention the fact that unless something has changed, they’re not legal and won’t pass inspection in several. Considering they have to be at least 48 state legal, that’s a no go.
Yes, it's true, heims are noisy, I never would expect an OEM to use them.. my point is they don't cause driveability concerns. I'm only having fun calling out so called informed people who make claims like "mid travel causes roll over concerns" and using the term "lift".. that's really the only reason I'm currently here

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it's true, heims are noisy, I never would expect an OEM to use them.. my point is they don't cause driveability concerns. I'm only having fun calling out so called informed people who make claims like "mid travel causes roll over concerns" and using the term "lift".. that's really the only reason I'm currently here

I think you’re moving the goal posts honestly.

Also, they do cause drivability concerns unless done correctly which 99.9% don’t do and that’s put them in double shear. The DOT doesn’t allow them at all nationwide. I know they can last a long time, but that’s assuming they are kept up, which many owners wouldn’t, and that’s not a liability a manufacturer would assume even if they were legal.

blk02edge

Established Member
So mid travel and long travel is just a term with no real definition?
Traditionally, mid travel has been an upper arm and a simple bolt in coilovers using the stock coil buckets or upper mounts, that's it. Some companies do that while also building boxed lowers, usually stock width. The term can vary.

Long travel is when you start adding width, cut out the factory shock mounts for a taller hoop that will accommodate longer coilovers

End of the day, either setup can use sway bars with literally zero downfall on driveability. My truck uses poly up front and it's quiet and smooth.

blk02edge

Established Member
VW buggies with white rockets>TRX

I betcha Corbic doesn't know what white rockets are either

blk02edge

Established Member
I think you’re moving the goal posts honestly.

Also, they do cause drivability concerns unless done correctly which 99.9% don’t do and that’s put them in double shear. The DOT doesn’t allow them at all nationwide. I know they can last a long time, but that’s assuming they are kept up, which many owners wouldn’t, and that’s not a liability a manufacturer would assume even if they were legal.
To be honest, I DGAF about heims or the topic of Heims. Any Heim joint other than steering would always be doubled sheered. If not... Then youll likely make it on YouTube.

My only goal post was knowing why a mid travel kit causes rollover concerns

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Mid travel = minimum of aftermarket UCAs, extended shocks/struts or coilovers with slightly extended travel over oem. Definition will vary. Lol

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Traditionally, mid travel has been an upper arm and a simple bolt in coilovers using the stock coil buckets or upper mounts, that's it. Some companies do that while also building boxed lowers, usually stock width. The term can vary.

Long travel is when you start adding width, cut out the factory shock mounts for a taller hoop that will accommodate longer coilovers

End of the day, either setup can use sway bars with literally zero downfall on driveability. My truck uses poly up front and it's quiet and smooth.

bro, you don’t use sway bars on a LT set up. What the ****? Lol

and LT set ups do compromise drivability. That’s like saying driving around with bigs and littles is without compromise on drivability... lol

blk02edge

Established Member
Mid travel = minimum of aftermarket UCAs, extended shocks/struts or coilovers with slightly extended travel over oem. Definition will vary. Lol
Looks like you put on your monster energy flat brim and white Oakley's! Well done. Only problem is extended shocks is not totally correct unless you are moving the upper Mount... Or coilovers quickly become bump stops

blk02edge

Established Member
bro, you don’t use sway bars on a LT set up. What the ****? Lol

and LT set ups do compromise drivability. That’s like saying driving around with bigs and littles is without compromise on drivability... lol
I know... That's what I said... Then SI motorsports told me to grow up and throw the thought of sway bars away with their kit and... God damn... Thing works... Might throw her on the road course for some brake fading fun

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
To be honest, I DGAF about heims or the topic of Heims. Any Heim joint other than steering would always be doubled sheered. If not... Then youll likely make it on YouTube.

My only goal post was knowing why a mid travel kit causes rollover concerns

My guess, altering the center of gravity from factory with a lift kit would make a vehicle more susceptible to roll over in a crash. With the NHTSA and crash test standards, that may have been the threshold for that vehicles engineered wheelbase, height and weight. I’m willing to bet that the new Bronco, even on 37s, will have the same height roof line or lower than either the Raptor or TRX.

Let’s be honest, you nor I or the vast majority of posters on here know the exact criteria and engineering that goes into the vehicles for on road use. To try and compare one to the other or a purpose built off-road vehicle is simply being obtuse.

blk02edge

Established Member
My guess, altering the center of gravity from factory with a lift kit would make a vehicle more susceptible to roll over in a crash. With the NHTSA and crash test standards, that may have been the threshold for that vehicles engineered wheelbase, height and weight. I’m willing to bet that the new Bronco, even on 37s, will have the same height roof line or lower than either the Raptor or TRX.

Let’s be honest, you nor I or the vast majority of posters on here know the exact criteria and engineering that goes into the vehicles for on road use. To try and compare one to the other or a purpose built off-road vehicle is simply being obtuse.
Yes that would be correct. But... Where is this lift coming from? Also, when we go back to the roots here, I have never said they should have gone with a full blown offroad truck. I'm well aware of the impossibility for an OEM to do that.

A mid or long travel kit can be lower than stock. It has nothing to do with the length of shock. Length of shock and spring rate are set points on where your lower mounts are in relation to the upper Mount while rates are simply calculated on vehicle weight. Preload is then adjusted to get your desired height.

Fun fact on the Raptor, the factory perches are adjustable to add preload ie: height. The TRX will likely also have factory preload adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread