RC Quad/Drone

madscotsman

Established Member
Looking for one for my 11 y.o. son for Christmas. Found what I think I want to get and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these and could make a different suggestion on a brand, or specifically has any experience with this model/brand that I think I've decided on.

Hubsan H107D X4 Mini RTF Quadcopter with FPV Camera

TIA

oldmodman

Established Member
The likelyhood of being able to fly this type of quadcopter on a first try (or a second, third, 25th etc.) is pretty low.

This drone does not have GPS stabilization. Without GPS stabilization pilot skill is the only thing keeping it in the air.

But if he is already a skilled RC helicopter pilot he stands a better chance of a successful flight.

I have a friend that works at the service desk of a big Los Angeles camera store. And they have a "Drone Department" he sees many. many of the DJI $1000.00 Quads being returned for repair due to crashes. And these are the most popular Quads sold that have full stabilization and cameras. Yet 8 out of ten are being crashed with enough damage that they require $300.00 of repair. Many are crashed multiple times.
There is long and expensive learning curve to be able to fly one like you see them being flown in all the YouTube videos.

There are a few fliers here and I hope they see your post and give their experiences.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I don't have any experience with the op's drone but I do have experience with the DJI phantom. The gps stabilization makes it stupid easy to fly. I dropped mine from about 20ft once because I was filming a fireworks display and forced the drone to stay up until the battery completely ran out. It shut off and dropped, camera flew off and a couple of the blades broke. I put the camera back on, used the replacement blade set that comes with the unit, and was back to flying when the batteries recharged. The unit will hover with absolutely no user input. Fly it up, set the controller down, and commence to setting off fireworks. When I got the unit I was disappointed in the camera and now rarely use it. Not nearly as fun as I thought it would be.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
I got my first drone on black friday. just threw is in the cart for $60 it is a fun thing to play with , chase the dogs and crash a bunch of times. its a parrot spider got it at target. I dont need a expensive drone that im just gonna smash up.

Equalbracket

Established Member
You really have to spend some $$ to get a decent drone, then you need a pilots license to do any commercial work.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Go to a Hobby Shop and tell someone what you're looking for. They should be able to help and show you some things. Then just check prices online and decide how you want to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread