Realistic Install Time

Back N Black

Killin' It
Established Member
What do you all think is a realistic install time for a set of GT500 mufflers and then separately an O/R X pipe.

Not "me and my six friends with a lift and airtools changed my mufflers for the 100th time in 6 minutes" estimate. The, "I haven't worked on these cars yet and know all the little tricks" estimate.

Thanks,

Sly Fox

Established Member
I did the axle backs in my driveway by myself in about 45 mins with beer breaks included.

Kyle55R

Established Member
I would allow 1-1.25 hours for the axle back. It's a bit of a pain getting it into position with the hangers and over axle pipes. Haven't installed a x pipe.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
FOr a first time swap, 30-40 minutes. After that, 12 minutes from start to finish. They are easy. X-pipe should be under an hour.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would allow 1-1.25 hours for the axle back. It's a bit of a pain getting it into position with the hangers and over axle pipes. Haven't installed a x pipe.

I would say this is correct. Not every car is the same an sometimes takes a little work to get the mufflers aligned perfect.

corepwn

Established Member
60 minutes for the axle backs if you've never done it and are by yourself.
120-180 minutes for the OR pipes if you've never done it and are by yourself with the proper tools.

I leave extra time because it's unlikely that it'll be setup perfect the first time. I've done lots of modding and still had to basically re-do the OR pipe a second time to get rid of a few leaks/fitament issues.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Id say about an hour from getting the car in the driveway to driving it back out.

That's at a relaxed pace if you were just hanging out and knocking it out.

Back N Black

Killin' It
Established Member
60 minutes for the axle backs if you've never done it and are by yourself.
120-180 minutes for the OR pipes if you've never done it and are by yourself with the proper tools.

I leave extra time because it's unlikely that it'll be setup perfect the first time. I've done lots of modding and still had to basically re-do the OR pipe a second time to get rid of a few leaks/fitament issues.

This is basicly what I was looking for. Been working on cars for many years and things that look like a 30 minute job are invariably and hour the first time and 20 minutes the second time.

Thank you everyone.

t-ray

Established Member
I had a bitch of a time with the roush mufflers. The over axle pipes(stock) just wouldn't move enough to help. I ended up unbolting all the hangars. After that, it wasn't bad at all.

Heavyfoot

Established Member
It will be much easier and shave a lot of time off if u get a lubricant like wd-40 or kroil to spray in the hangers.
That's a tip I failed to read ahead of time.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Also the right passenger side header collector bolt is easier to get to through the engine compartment with lots of extensions.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Took me about 30 minutes, but I have a lift. Get a buddy to help you align the mufflers too, it's kinda tricky doing by yourself.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The first time took me about 45 minutes. Some tips:

Use a jack under the over axle pipes to push them upward. This makes it easier to get the axle back to separate from the O/A pipe, and makes putting it all back together easier as well.

Spray some soapy water or WD40 into the rubber hangers. It makes getting the mufflers off of brackets and back on much easier.

Remove the mufflers with the brackets that mount to the frame. Swap them onto the new ones, re-mount. Again, the soapy water or WD40 makes this procedure much easier.

I use ramps, it take 10 seconds to get the car up on them.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread