Rear differential cooler

svtguy

Established Member
My 2 cents on diff coolers. I started with the same size coolers as in the above posts. As my driving skills improved, the coolers could no longer keep the diff cool. The following year I replaced it with the 95R/00R oil cooler. At the end of that year my diff temps were pegging my gauge. Now I have adapted a stock 03 cobra superchager heat exhanger, the one in front of the radiator, as my diff cooler. I've added 2 spal fans to it. It is installed below my rear bumper. This is on my 00R, so I don't have any tail pipe clearance issues to contend with. Wtih this setup I've doubled the fluid capacity. Now only on the 90 degree plus summer days after 15-20 minutes hard running sections does the temp get up to the 250 degree mark. I would install the largest possible cooler you can fit on your car.

Paul.

Last edited:

Dirk

Established Member
Last edited:

GreyAsp

Established Member
(Resuscitate, once again...)

This may be a silly question, but is there any reason that the existing overflow tube hole on the cover couldn't be used as the coolant intake port to the diff? (This is on an 01, don't know about a 00R). Then a return line plumbed in the bottom would be the only mod needed for the pumpkin.

:??:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
(Resuscitate, once again...)

This may be a silly question, but is there any reason that the existing overflow tube hole on the cover couldn't be used as the coolant intake port to the diff? (This is on an 01, don't know about a 00R). Then a return line plumbed in the bottom would be the only mod needed for the pumpkin.

:??:

WAY too damn small.

And FWIW, that would be the return not the supply.
:read:

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
I had a question for everyone running the tilton pump
how loud is it
mine seems to be crazy loud to me
sometimes i flip the switch just for shits and giggles to get the looks on peoples faces as they walk by
haha
i know its getting fluid cuz i pulled the return line off and it damn near shot the fluid all the way across my garage

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I had a question for everyone running the tilton pump
how loud is it
mine seems to be crazy loud to me
sometimes i flip the switch just for shits and giggles to get the looks on peoples faces as they walk by
haha
i know its getting fluid cuz i pulled the return line off and it damn near shot the fluid all the way across my garage

They are a tad on the noisy side. Depending on where you mounted the pump will also determine how much sound is transmitted.

Take the mufflers off your car and at WOT throttle you'll hardly hear it! :lol:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
My Flojet (same thing as the Tilton) is very loud as well. I have it mounted on the package tray that used to contain the carbon canister for the fuel evaporative system inside the left rear quarter panel.

steve121

Established Member
I'm using a Mocal pump mounted to the rear bumper support and it's really loud, although I don't hear it while on track.

IMG_1870.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Anyone used one of these?
BM%2070297.jpg

http://www.dougherbert.com/supercooleroilcooler-p-18549.html?cPath=1_500_514
B&M

I contacted Dorale and they said none of their coolers would be suitable for differential gear oil. He said they were working on one though. He said if you used one of his it would probably burn out your pump because of too much restriction.

You have to wait until the diff oil reaches a minimum of about 140 degrees (temp sensor required) before you turn the pump on. Any oil cooler should be fine as long at it fits in the space you're planning. (biggest factor)

FWIW

cm04cobra

Established Member
Anyone used one of these?
BM%2070297.jpg

http://www.dougherbert.com/supercooleroilcooler-p-18549.html?cPath=1_500_514
B&M

I contacted Dorale and they said none of their coolers would be suitable for differential gear oil. He said they were working on one though. He said if you used one of his it would probably burn out your pump because of too much restriction.

I used summit racing's pn BMM-70298, looks just sim. to the above unit. Seems to pass the dif gear oil fine when hot. My pump kicks on at 160.

DesertPunisher

I'm first and foremost looking at installing a set-up very much like you guys are doing for your rear diffs, but for the transmission, transfer-case and front diff on my truck. BUT, I'm having a hell of a time finding a good thread-in temp switch with an on temp of around 160 degrees (I've found plenty in the 185-210 range). The idea is that I'll be using a cooler with fan; I'd like the pump to turn on at between 160-170... with the fan turning on 10 degrees later. I already have the B&M cooler w/fan for the trans, it's fan comes on at 175 degrees so I could leave this as-is or replace the switch so it will come on at a different temp.

Anyhow, I'm looking for someone to direct me to a thermal switch in the 160-170 range; I'd prefer one of those weather protected factory like switches over the blade terminal type, but I guess if that's all that's available, I have to live with it. And if it has a very low amp rating, I'm willing to run a relay set-up. Just looking for some help; been tracking this thread for a couple years!

And, as a side note... I plan on selling my Lincoln LS this spring before I deploy and buying an 03-04 Cobra; I'd hold out if I actually thought Ford would in the near future put out another IRS mustang, that wasn't a big porky pig... but I'm much more realistic than to think that.

Thanks for the help guys!!

For anyone interested, unlike most tranny coolers, I'll be leaving my factory cooler in-tact, welding in sensor bungs to my B&M aluminum pan for the temp switch and gauge sensor, then plumbing the intake and output directly into the pan. I feel this is a better option than simply replacing the factory cooler, by not only giving the tranny more cooling capacity, but allowing the pump to never see high temps like it might if I simply replaced the cooler with an aftermarket cooler.

For my transfer case and front diff, I'll be doing much the same thing, with the goal to keep the fill and drain plugs intact and usable. I'll be doing the tranny, then front diff, then t-case; don't have the time or money (I'm projecting $600-$800 each) to do this the way I want to with all three at the same time.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
There are several diff cooler threads in this forum however this was the most comprehensive diff cooler thread here so I thought I would post this up here.

We have recently made some nice progress on the Full Tilt Boogie Racing diff cooler kit and can give you a few teaser pics here. The basic kit pictured below is going to list for $899.00. It includes, a heat exchanger/fan assembly with AN-8 fittings, Tilton oil pump, 15' of -8 stainless braided line, 3-90 degree -8 fittings, 7-straight -8 fittings, a 90 degree swivel fitting for the suction line that will work on a Ford Racing diff cover or an aftermarket cover, a AN-8 check valve for the suction line and 280 degree temperature gauge with a sending unit. This gives you a couple of extra straight and 90 degree fittings to customize your installation.

nl8c.jpg

We will also be offering three options for the kit:

1: Wiring harness with relays and on/off switches, $49.00

4icc.jpg

2: In-line strainer with 2 AN-8 line fittings, $95.00

w869.jpg

3: Diff breather catch can, $29.00

1k4d.jpg

Please be patient if you have questions regarding the kit. I am currently preparing to leave for Charlotte for the 50th very soon. Once I return we should be able to supply kits in short order. We hope to have this up on our web site soon.

:beer:

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Bruce, you have done some great things for our R's! I love my intake and tune.
The diff cooler looks great. Are you going to include the brackets needed to mount everything (for us lazy R owners)?
Thanks for you help.
~Gary

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Gary:

The heat exchanger/fan assembly has brackets on it. If you wanted to mount it vertically, you'd have to fab a couple of brackets for it. If you did not want to mount the pump directly to the trunk floor you'd have to make brackets for it as well. Who dosn't have a shelf full of aluminum and steel angle and square tubing in their shop? ;-)

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Has anyone added just a recovery catch can for the IRS diff vent? Maybe something that sucks the fluid back out once the temps go down, kind of like a radiator recovery reservoir?

Users who are viewing this thread