Rear differential cooler

SlowSVT

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, the problem with most (including mine) diff coolers is they are NOT efficient enough. :( If I waited until my diff got up to 220 it would soon peg the needle at 250 and remain there. God only knows how hot the diff is actually getting? If I turn it on at 140 (or so) I can stay about 210 or 220 for the entire session depending on ambient temps and the track I'm on? I do have 4:10's and my diff runs pretty hot with those screws. And I might possibly be driving a tad harder than your average bear?

Moral of story, get the cooling going ASAP.

YMMCV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce

I hear what your say'N. My car is used mostly on the street where it won't make nearly as much heat as on the track. I was considering having the pump/fan assy connected to a toggle switch but I want to minimize adding switches inside the car. Perhaps I will wire in an override switch to by-pass the snap switch and bury it under the seat so I can control it manually.

I also plan putting a shroud made from 1/16" kydex plastic sheet to direct the air from under the gas tank, though the cooler and out the back through an opening cut into the lower bumper trim panel

BTW: Can your administrative powers allow me to attach picture to my post. I've been on this board for 2 1/2 years and I still don't have that privilege. Maybe I pissed off one of the admins one too many times :shrug:

Much thanks :beer:

sleepless

Established Member
03'Darin said:
In case anyone is interested I'm probably going to sell my cooler set up. Since I bought a track specific car my Cobra won't be seeing the track anymore so I won't need the cooler. I'll sell the unit complete with all AN lines and fittings (-8), custom aluminum cooler bracket, cooler, pump and bracket, on/off switch (fog light switch that takes the place of your coin holder in the center console) and relay. To install the system you would need to tap two holes in your diff for the draw and feed lines, weld 12 bolts to the steel bumper reinforcement and wire the unit.

The car is a fair weather toy so the cooler set up is just like new. It's only been on the car for 10 months.

If anyone is interested shoot me an offer. It's still on the car but wouldn't take long to remove. :banana:

Darin

Looks like I've got myself a fine diff cooler setup from Darin! That was easy :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SlowSVT said:
Bruce

BTW: Can your administrative powers allow me to attach picture to my post. I've been on this board for 2 1/2 years and I still don't have that privilege. Maybe I pissed off one of the admins one too many times :shrug:

Much thanks :beer:

Well, I looked up your "record" and all I can say is man, you must have pissed somebody off real good!! ;-) Just kidding actually! :poke: :-D

We are no longer able to post pictures and have them hosted on this site. The servers just can't handle all the pictures the post ho's used to put up. :cryying:

Pictures CAN be posted, it's just they need to be hosted elsewhere. Like Imageshack or Photobucket. Then link them here using the photo image link function . These instructions may help:

[url]http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103638[/url]

Good luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, I looked up your "record" and all I can say is man, you must have pissed somebody off real good!! ;-) Just kidding actually! :poke: :-D

We are no longer able to post pictures and have them hosted on this site. The servers just can't handle all the pictures the post ho's used to put up. :cryying:

Pictures CAN be posted, it's just they need to me hosted elsewhere. Like Imageshack or Photobucket. Then link them here using the photo image link function . These instructions may help:

[url]http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103638[/url]

Good luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:[/quote]

Understood

Speaking of pissing people off. I posted an inquiry on Corner Carvers regarding what and if an aftermarket sway bar would be best to "improve" the handling of my 04 cobra. I tried to keep it pretty innocent and simple because I had a feeling the more information I gave would have opened up Pandora's box. Boy, did I step in some knarly goo. I got hammered every which way and twice on Sunday :burn: One guy Matt was pretty funny and started to get into details down to the alloy of the steel, the properties for the heat treatment and the proximity of the car relative to the earths magnetic field :read: I guess I failed to impress upon them that this is a street car and not a formula 1 racer which I gather they are unable to make that distinction. Needless to say after all the technical exchange and calling in to question the reason for my existence no one was able to offer any advice that didn't require years of R&D and pH' D in chassis dynamics to decipher :dw:

Here is the link to my post

[url]http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32775[/url] :pop:

For now on I will limit my inquiries to question like; what lug nuts to run :burnout:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
sleepless said:
BTW - Not sure how I missed this before, but Maximum Motorsports sells a decent looking kit: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...product_info&cPath=21_88_335&products_id=1077

Not cheap but close to the price of Terry's, no longer available, kit.
That looks like a VERY nice complete kit. Looks like some good surface area on that cooler. I might hop on that.

EDIT: Called MM and spoke to the rep. It's a complete kit and is exactly what I was looking for. Picked it up a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
zowie! look at the picture and grab the items from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

save yourself a good $500.

Venomous01 said:
That looks like a VERY nice complete kit. Looks like some good surface area on that cooler. I might hop on that.

EDIT: Called MM and spoke to the rep. It's a complete kit and is exactly what I was looking for. Picked it up a few minutes ago.

Saleenrose

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Ha ha yeah Corner Carvers can be a tough crowd!! :-D
These are the kind of guys I love to race against using the underdog truck, I really enjoy all the abuse about why would you run that, I have a POrshe, COrvette, VIper, whatever, they have got the greatest whatever there is, just ask them. I really enjoyed SAAC does Vegas in 02 when I took my truck and a guy proclaimed I would just get in the way, I said I would move out of his way, later to have him come and tell me I lapped him in 1 event. Just let them know how great they are and leave those special people alone. Ill race with ya 1-2 a year. :beer: :thumbsup:

oxfordman03

In Denial
Established Member
Is the fill hole an accepable location for a gauge sensor? I have a KB kit installed and hate to pull it all apart for a gauge install. My Weldon pump says to wait for 200 degrees before pump activation but not haveing a temp gauge I have to guess. As stated before, I do 2 laps then turn on the pump.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I figured if some of you don't go into the terminator section, the open track section or the pics section then these pics would be ok to post in this thread. Thanks for all the help, searching and finding and reading this thread really helped a lot.:beer:

- Maximum Motorsports rear IRS differential cooler kit
- Torsen T2R rear differential w/ new carrier bearings
- Royal Purple Gear Oil used

Here are some pics of the install....the custom billetflow IRS brace Doug made to work with the kit should be here soon. My original doesn't work...
DavidSilver04pics003-1.jpg

DavidSilver04pics011.jpg

diff_brace_mm_02.JPG

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have read through this thread at least three times and I cannot find where Terry or anyone else was originally getting the 95/00 R oil coolers. I called my Ford parts contact and he said Ford no longer offers the 95 oil cooler.

Any idea on where to get one? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

EDIT: Thanks to Google, I see the following sites offering the coolers. Has anyone dealt with any of these places?

http://www.wakeperformance.com/product_info.php?products_id=720

http://www.sdparts.com/product/M-6642-R58/1995CobraquotRquotEngineOilCooler.aspx

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/SVO6642_R58/SVO6642_R58__Engine_Oil_Cooler_Kit.html

Last edited:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Thats Top secret info!:burnout: I got them from a number of sources. If they are discontinued, which it looks like since the 07 catalog don't have them anymore, many other types will work. Just get something that can move heavy bodied fluid.

brkntrxn

Established Member
C'mon now, share the sources, LOL. I boiled the rear at VIR last weekend so I need to fab up something soon. I have a set of Bruce's diff bushings on order and I find Tilton pumps all over the place, just having trouble with the R style cooler.

I'll call some of those sites on Monday and see how they sound. One of them is in Raleigh; I'll check with some of the locals and see what they say about them.

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
C'mon now, share the sources, LOL. I boiled the rear at VIR last weekend so I need to fab up something soon. I have a set of Bruce's diff bushings on order and I find Tilton pumps all over the place, just having trouble with the R style cooler.

I'll call some of those sites on Monday and see how they sound. One of them is in Raleigh; I'll check with some of the locals and see what they say about them.

This is similar to FRRP cooler, one that I used after using FRPP cooler. It has built in mounts and is 4 row instead of 2, but slightly narrower in width. Overall it has more cooling capacity and was easier to mount and work with, and cheaper. All four rows are in series, so it will not move oil as fast as FRPP cooler.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-401&N=700+0&autoview=sku

prm-401_w.jpg

Here is another one, a little more than FRPP oil cooler, but it has 4 parallel rows, easier for diff pump to move oil through.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-301&N=700+115&autoview=sku

prm-301.jpg

I also added a fan, but since I retained the rear bumper and had a trailer hitch on my cobra I had to use a pusher rather than pull fan. I went to RPW for that.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member

brkntrxn

Established Member
My concern about stacked plate coolers is whether or not they will flow the thicker diff fluid as well as the tube and fin type. Is this a valid concern or are there stacked plate coolers that have larger internal passageways for thicker fluids?

Users who are viewing this thread